Sozo delivery issues

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dazco, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I've read a few posts regarding sozo having issues getting caps out to those who ordered them. Can't recall whether they were about long delivery periods or just not even getting thier orders or what. But can anyone tell me whats going on with them? I need some of the vintage caps but i don't want to have a unfinished amp sitting here for weeks or months. If this is really a issue i'd rather go to a third party that sells the regular sozos and use those if necessary to avoid weeks or months in wait.

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I dont know whats going on with sozo. I tried to contact them about getting caps, but received no reply.

I tried the tube depot and weber,, there pretty much out except for a few values.

Good luck on your hunt.

Paul

3. neteraser

neteraser Member

My wish is for the world's best caps to survive.

4. dazco

dazco Member

has this been happening to everyone or a small percentage?

5. randelli

randelli Member

Pretty much across the board. I did get a reply to my email, after about 2 weeks, that said they had my values available. I had already switched back to Mallory 150's by that time though.

I have to say that I think I like the M150's better. I am just wrapping up the first amp with the M150's and it has more mid grind and less fizzle at ultra high gain. Something I did not notice was missing when I switched to SOZO after my prototype was done. I can coax so many overtones and harmonic feedback, so easily now, it is just amazing. I do not plan on going back to SOZO's now.

TMI? Sorry to go off-topic.

6. dazco

dazco Member

I just got this reply from them...

So hopefully thats true, tho i'll still have to wait till the end of February. As to mallory vs sozo, i A/B'd them in every position in the amp extensively till my ear was very familiar with the difference and in all positions i preferred the sozo vintage except the tone stack where mallory work obviously better for some reason. I did not check how it goes into harmonic feedback tho, so now you have me wanting to replace them with mallory and see if that gets better because i do feel it doesn't do that as well as i would like or expect. But otherwise the tone is great and the complexity seems much better with the sozo. Plus the mallories made the amp MUCH brighter. (which may be why the harmonic feedback happens easier with them)

7. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Took MONTHS to get mine only to find out they sounded a little fuzzy in my guitar...:facepalm

8. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I'm waiting for an order also. No calls back after I called them twice.

9. dazco

dazco Member

Your post had me curious, so i replaced the sozos (except the NFB side of the PI and presence caps) with mallory. Hmmm.....i wish you hadn't posted this. :rotflmao But seriously, i decided again the sozos are just fuller and richer, and i didn't find any big difference in harmonic feedback. In fact, it actually does it a bit better with the sozos. I guess it depends on many factors which in your situation i suppose leans towards the mallory. Did you try the vintage ones? Maybe thats why. I have both and the vintage really do sound better than the standards.

10. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

End of February is probably more like "sometime in April". YMMV.

I've used them in a couple builds and they sound pretty great. But I certainly won't be going out of my way in the future. The hassle isn't worth it although they did certainly come through in the end. I just don't have the patience when there are other comparable products out there that are readily available.

It's always sad when a good product is marred by fulfillment "issues".

cheers,
    wade

11. randelli

randelli Member

I was comparing to the standard sozos; vintage are probably better.

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Go to Jupiter caps. They sound better in My Morgan Dual 40

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I recently ordered some .047s and .02 blue moldeds. I got all but one blue-molded, which they didn't charge me for and wrote me to tell me it was not available for a few weeks. I forgot all about it. Then out of the blue, ab out 5 or 6 weeks later, they sent me a Paypal invoice for the remaining .02, which I paid and they promptly shipped it (w/o add'l shipping charges). Of course, it wasn't in time for use in my project, but I was heartened to see that they did at least follow through. My impression is that they're a tiny business and are not real on top of their production timing.

I guess I'd suggest that you get a reply and confirmation from them regarding your potential order first before deciding to buy from them...and if you can't get a confirmation that they have the stuff, just move on.

FWIW, I've had good luck using Russian P-I-O coupling caps which you can find on eBay all the time for 3-5 dollars. Many are a little cheaper than the Sozos and they sound great.

14. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

WHOA! Those things are expensive!

15. GA20T

GA20T Member

Well, my Princeton was in the shop for 4 1/2 months awaiting a shipment of the blues that never arrived. Tech said there was was little/no communication despite his numerous attempts. He had to file a PayPal claim and we went with another brand. This was recent, and my only experience with the company.