SOZO Vintage Caps, Hype Time!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RussB, Aug 12, 2008.

1. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a compliment of $60 Sozo vintage caps for my Weber 18 watt TMB. Will I be impressed, or will I feel like a stooge for falling for the hype! :crazy

Will there even bne a diference with the Mallory 150's I have in there now? I rekon I'll keep you all posted.

So far I've tried a Celestion Heritage G12M, and am happy with its tone compared to the Weber alnico Silver Bell...not nescessarly better, just deightfully different. I tried a Heyboer 18 watt OT, and prefer the Weber supplied OT by a wide margin. So far I'm batting .500

2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Let us know what the difference is vs. the Mallory 150's----i haven't used the Sozo vintage caps yet---i've used the standard Sozo's , Mojo Dijons, Mallory 150's, and others in different builds and i'm not really sure which is "better".
    It's hard to A/B tone caps in amp builds of very different types.
    I'm suprised that the Weber OT sounds better than the Heyboer...............gldtp99

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

To thine own ears be true..

4. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I would think that unless it's a marked improvment, you'll be hard pressed to tell any difference.

I know when I swap out tubes, in the several minutes it takes to do that it can be rather hard to tell the difference. Plus, it almost impossible to be objective after you spent the extra money and time getting and installing the new ones.

Good luck!

5. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I have tried all of the above caps as well as Orange drops with no noticable impact on tone. From the build side experience has taught me the trannies have the most impact on tone. Then you get to tubes, speakers, pickups, etc. All are part of the tone recipe. There are enough variables to keep you busy for quite some time. It all part of the fun. :BEER

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

For what its worth. I noticed a difference.

Zozos handled the upper frequencies better with a harder attack then other caps I've tried in my super. (Mallory 150, Xicon MDD, OD 715, OD 716, OD PS)

The OD PS series where a close second. All others had harsher tones when the amp was pushed hard.

I Think a lot of the cap discussion involves HOW you use your amp. I have a feeling there is very little change in tone when having a clean, softtly played amp, but once you push your amp into areas of hard use, the separation gets bigger.

7. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

I haven't tried the high dollar SoZo's, but I have the standard series in the last 5e7 (tweed bandmaster) I built. Love em'! un broken in and I can't wait until I get 40-50 hours on this amp. The difference isn't dramatic, but to my ears, there's more detail there in a musical way.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

For that kind of money those caps should be delivered by 16 year old virgins wearing lingerie.

On the other hand, nuttin wrong with bein' a Stooge:

[​IMG]

9. brad347

brad347 Member

I'll take my caps without the statutory rape, thank you.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Oh you guys need to relax.

I was able to deck my entire super reverb out with Sozos for less then the cost of ONE NOS Preamp Tube.

I noticed a dramatic improvement.

Whats funny is you guys wouldn't even think twice about spending $100+ on preamp tubes, even though you can get a Sovtek 12ax7 for like $10....

11. gregc

gregc Member

Do caps go 'vintage' or do they just get 'old'? A good percentage of the time 10 years in service makes them 'done'. Old, NOS ones often need to be exercised gently, reformed, so to speak, to make them safe for use. I buy fresh ones, personally.

12. RussB

:roll

I've never bought into the "uber-cap" hype (BS?) I always get a good laugh when guys put big-buck caps in their guitars and rave about monster tone. The placebo effect at it's strongest, I say.

SOZO...is that latin for "Sucka" :crazy

13. brad347

brad347 Member

electrolytic caps and small-value coupling caps are very very different matter. I think you may be referring to the former, and everyone else in the thread is talking about the latter.

:)

14. doctorx

doctorx Member

Ok, 18 year old virgins wearing lingerie.

;)

15. RussB

Better, we gotta stay PC :drool

16. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Well guys,not to rain on your parade here,but Sozo caps need about 50 hours break-in time before they start to sound good.And believe me they do sound good.
    As far as a weber OT sounding better than a Heyboer? Not likely,but the again some guys think a Valve Jr sounds great too.
    To many variables and to judge OT's that quickly.I have never heard a weber overseas OT sound better than a Heyboer.Not ever.

17. RussB

In my particular Weber TMB 18 watt, the Heyboer has a very "fizzy and grainy" character to the tone. It sounded poorly with both the 8 ohm alnico Silver Bell, and a 15 ohm Celestion Heritage G12M. Brand names aside, I went with what I could hear, and the Weber OT sounded best.

Maybe I need to let the Heyboer break-in for 50 hours before I can judge it. It's a good thing the internet is so full of tone guru's that can tell folks what does and doesn't sound good :AOK

Why should I or anyone trust their own ears?

I'm sorry for sounding so argumentative, but there are so many times that unless you spend the big money on the brand name stuff, you are somehow considered tone illiterate. It gets old.

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

Caps breaking in? Sounds far fetched to me. What's to break in? How would it effect sound? Got any proof?

19. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

All electrical components benefit form a burn in. Whether it makes a sonic difference like cables, etc., etc., etc. one will have to find out for himself.

20. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Hey Hasserl,

It's a little off topic but I got to tell you that I re-did the TS on my Carvin Nomad's dirt side and also changed the cathode resistor on the second half of the dirt channel and that amp rocks now. I love your mods for that amp. Well done!