SP Comp vs Mooer Yellow

MogwaiBoy

Interested in a small size comp for subtle to moderate cleantone enhancing - possibly always-on. I understand the Mooer is quite transparent but the SP actually has a clean blend which surely makes it very transparent too if you want.

I was leaning towards the Yellow due to the active tone EQ dial, being able to cut some low end and increase presence on dark neck humbuckers sounds ideal, but Xotic just make great products so I know the SP will be great in that regard - just looks cooler too. The SP has an internal Bright switch doesn't it? Would that add sparkle to a neck humbucker?

Anyone compared them directly?

CEFlint

The SP has 4 internal switches.
1 & 2 control attack/release times
3 is a High Cut Filter, that can add sparkle to humbuckers.
4 is an input pad that can function as a Low Cut Filter

I think it's an extremely versatile, clean compressor. Not always on for me, but it's on a lot, especially at lower volumes. Coupled with an SL Drive and an EP Booster, they can cover a lot of ground.

I have not compared it to the Mooer.

Steven

I have tried both an I'm using the Mooer now. I really like it. Its subtle for lack of a better word. I have it on for almost all of my clean sounds and it also works with overdrive ( and I usually hate compressor and overdive together). I also have the MP FGC but the Mooer is the one I have on my board.

crambone

No experience with the Mooer but I love the SP Comp. It's always-on for me. I have both knobs at noon and the toggle switch at Mid.

I've had 2 experiences with Mooer pedals (the Phase 90 and DS-1 clones) and didn't care for them at all.

ooperz

I've had the SP for some time and there really isn't enough I can say about it to do it justice. It can go from Ross/Dynacomp squish to something more like the diamond comp. It reacts great to higher voltages as well. Stacks great and sounds stellar by itself.

I've never tried the mooer, but I compared it against the Keeley, Wampler, and diamond. It killed the first two in my book, and got close enough to the diamond that the size and price made it a sealed deal.

The dip switches really are key though. That and the blend knob.

I've got it set to a more transparent feel most of the time, but I can get some great ross squish when I want.

If you get it play with the voltages! I tried it at 18v (regulated!) and I'll never go back to 9v.

crambone

If you get it play with the voltages! I tried it at 18v (regulated!) and I'll never go back to 9v.
Agreed on this. I have E-Mail confirmation from Xotic that the SP can safely run at 18v so long as the power supply is regulated. I also run my EP Booster at 18v.

Trending Topics