Space vs Zoom MS70CDR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gaetano Capuano, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

2. waveman

waveman Member

I think the Eventide sounds just a little better, but not by much at all. That Zoom CDR pedal is one of my favorites! I just wished they had a fully midi capable version of this.

3. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

ditto. They both sounded very good in that video. I'd love to see Zoom put all the MS algorithms in a G3X sized box. Lots of interesting sounds, but it just looks like it'd be a struggle to use live with just the one switch and no MIDI.

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

IMHO best use of the CDR is in a mute send effects loop with the CDR in A/B/C mode. This way you tap on the CDR to switch between favorite presets and you can bypass it in the loop and effects tails persist. Works great with the Amplifire in that way. Fantastic pedal (except pitch effects), though agree an update to include all those effects in the G3 would be incredible.

5. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Cool comparison. This pretty much reflects what I found when comparing these two algorithms on my H9 & MS-70 as well.

As much as it pains me to admit this, it's doubtful many would hear the difference between the two in the typical, acoustically flawed venues we often play in. However, once you get past the Eventide inspired algorithms available in the MS-70, it's pretty self evident why Eventide enjoys the reputation (and price) it comes with.

The remaining Eventide algorithms not directly imitated in the MS-70 are pretty much stellar IMHO (I'm using an H9 Max), and the Eventide pitch algorithms are night & day better than the Zoom offerings. I used my H9 & MS-70 side by side at my gig last Friday and afterward I decided to pull the MS-70 off my board for now. Between the AmpliFire effects, and what the H9 brings, I don't feel like I'm lacking anything for what I need fx-wise.

The MS-70 is still pretty formidable, and quite good bang for the buck. Mine will end up being used in a different rig. The big strength the MS-70 still has on the H9 is it's ability to run more than 1 effect at a time. Which is no small thing IMHO. Where the MS-70 lags is it's spotty quality in some algorithms, and it's relatively clunky (un)ease of use in a live setting.

Even though the H9 can only do one algorithm at a time, the consistency in quality of each of it's algorithms (not to mention MIDI) was the main attraction for me. Plus, the H9 has a basic (albeit somewhat limited) looper. I was looking at the H9 in the context of wanting something that either did effects the AmpliFire didn't do, or offered more choices than the AF offered (more flavors of reverb, chorus, etc.), or allowed me to layer types of effects the AF couldn't do on it's own. I can see why there are several AmpliFire + H9 users here.

6. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Man. The zoom nails those sounds. The reverb tail felt a bit brighter than the H9, but if I remember correctly it has a tone knob on both of those algorithms so it could probably be darkened up enough to clone the sounds. Great clips OP!

7. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

At BCy2k The point of the post is not "which is better" at all. Just wanted to show how close, or far off, the Ms70 comes from the Eventide algos.
    But if we are gonna have that debate do t forget to add the H9max or space is $300-400 more....

8. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Point well taken. I've been weighing the pros & cons of each pedal as it pertains to my situation. As I tried to point out, there are some fairly huge positives to each pedal and it's definitely hard to say which is better for me at the moment, but I'm going to roll with the H9 and see how it goes.

9. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Totally understandably, it's a great pedal, the IPad editor is of the nicest I have seen!!

10. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

I think it's crazy the MS70cdr sells for $109 brand new though, that is rediculous!

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

+1. Really a great sounding pedal almost anyone can afford which provides a huge palette of effects.

12. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

+2

Plenty-o-love for the MS-70 here. :aok

Mine may yet end up back on my board, but for now I feel like I'll have a better time focusing on what I can do with just the AF+H9 combo. I think it'll also make it easier for me to figure out where another fx pedal may (or may not) supplement things moving forward.

I'd also agree that the iOS editor/librarian for the H9 is awesome. It makes everything so much easier. If only the MS-100bt had a bluetooth editor/librarian. That would be a game changer for me. Heck, I'd even be willing to PAY for one. This is yet another thing about the MS series of pedals that bugs me. All these good to great algorithms, versatility, and power, but zero means of digitally backing any of it up. To me, that kind of boggles the mind. It is what it is.

13. Atomic Amps

Atomic Amps Member

Cool comparison. Both sound great! Personally, I dug the dry amp tone. ;)