Spaceman Effects Aphelion Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mosley, May 1, 2015.

1. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

I recently picked up a Spaceman Effects Aphelion Anniversary Reissue, and I really dig it! I used to have a blue sparkle version, but sold it a while back...I pretty much instantly regretted selling it. This version has a different chip, but I think it sounds just as good as my older one.

I think the idea of it being a "reissue" is preventing people from buying it. Spaceman stuff usually sells out crazy fast, but the anniversary runs are still easily available. The Aphelion is generally very well reviewed, but I think people assume the different chip will mean this version is inferior, but I seriously don't feel like it is. The only thing I really miss about my old version is the cool labeling of the knobs...the blue version was labeled "orbit, helios, apsis" instead of "gain, drive, tone".

One reason I bought this pedal again is because this circuit works very well after my spring reverb tank. A lot of dirt boxes can't deal with the intricate harmonics of a reverb tank, but the Aphelion handles it really well. It almost acts like a compressor, in the sense that it makes the trails of the reverb bloom a bit as the reverb rings out, and the sound of the springs is accentuated nicely by the frequency range the Aphelion boosts. The harmonic blooming thing is something I was specifically hoping this reissue retained, and it does.

Anyway, I think there's a stigma to the term "reissue", but in this case it's totally unfounded. This pedal responds just as much to picking dynamics as my other one did, and it reacts to changes in the guitar's volume and tone knobs exactly how I remember the other one did. The circuit has some minor noise at very high gain settings, but I remember the other one doing that too...I look at that issue as the kind of thing you'd come across in a vintage pedal, it doesn't bother me. The responsiveness and unique character of the grit plus the ability to handle complex harmonics and chords while retaining clarity are all still here in this version.

I'd love to hear a good A/B demo of both versions, since I'm sure there are some sonic differences which may become noticeable under scrutiny, but I feel the new chip still sounds great, and the build quality on Spaceman stuff is consistently amazing.

johnetone likes this.
  2. jruano

jruano Supporting Member

How do you identify a reissue from one of the initial runs?

3. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

Anniversary reissue runs have a brass Spaceman number plate as opposed to the usual silver/blue Spaceman number plate.