• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Spaceman fuzzes

jruano

Enlighten me on these guys, are there any models equivalent to classic fuzzfaces or tonebenders? Also, what's so especial about them that justifies the $$$, if there's anything other than the exclusivity.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
OP, this is an impossible discussion. First, there's no particularly rational reasons to support a $500 fuzz pedal. Second, you may be able to afford one and find it to be enjoyable and useful enough to justify it. Third, anyone who raves about theirs will be derided by various losers who have little better to do with their time than to piss in Spaceman threads.

If you can afford to buy and try, you're unlikely to lose money when you move it along. If the pedals appeal to you, and you can keep a sense of humor about things, the Spaceman thing can be fun.

ubenjammin2

OP, this is an impossible discussion. First, there's no particularly rational reasons to support a $500 fuzz pedal. Second, you may be able to afford one and find it to be enjoyable and useful enough to justify it. Third, anyone who raves about theirs will be derided by various losers who have little better to do with their time than to piss in Spaceman threads.

If you can afford to buy and try, you're unlikely to lose money when you move it along. If the pedals appeal to you, and you can keep a sense of humor about things, the Spaceman thing can be fun.
100% This

Enlighten me on these guys, are there any models equivalent to classic fuzzfaces or tonebenders? Also, what's so especial about them that justifies the $$$, if there's anything other than the exclusivity.
If you can afford the Gold Klon, pull the trigger. If I had the disposable income, I would. I'm indulgent by nature.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
I like them for their aesthetic, build quality, and most of all, their unique slant on most of the effects they tackle.

As with any other high-priced product, the added cost simply can't be justified in terms of added value. A $5000 PRS doesn't sound 10x better than a $500 PRS, it sounds maybe 10% better. But, if you love guitar and have $5000 to blow, you may want that extra 10% and may even feel compelled to gush about how "amazing" and "unbelievable" it is on chatboards. The fact is, however, that in the vast majority of cases "premium" prices are paying for a very small increase in actual quality. Spaceman is no different.

I have the Rumblefuzz, Gemini III, Sputnik, Sputnik II, Aphelion, Titan II, Voyager I, Orion, yada yada yada. None of them are objectively the "greatest" version of what they do in the whole world, but every one is beautiful, exetremely well-made, and are in the top 5% of sound quality for what they do (compared to what I've heard and experienced). I have no illusions of the fact that their price is inflated relative to what they actually provide in concrete sonic output. But, it was worth it to me for my budget and priorities.

tldr; they are pretty, somewhat overpriced, and sound great

Edit: the Sputnik might be the best at what it does.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
The Titan II plays generally in the realm of fuzz faces and tone benders in terms of function, but doesn't really sound exactly like any of them. It cleans up as well or better than a typical fuzz face (closer to the actual guitar tone, less of the sort of trebly "sheen" in a FF). You can get nice, low gain, overdrive-y fuzz tones as well. Hit the front end of it with other fuzzes, boosters, etc. and will do some wilder stuff. You can put this one pretty much anywhere in the chain (although I haven't messed around with it in terms of buffers, but guessing it's fine with those as it is very "agreeable" otherwise). I have a bunch of fuzzes, and this one is one of my most used.

Hack Prophet

vile mighty wretched
The Sputnik kicks all kinds of ass. I bought mine retail for $349 which is a bit pricey, but when you open it up you see what you pay for. Gorgeous circuit boards. I also love DAM stuff, and if I had to pick one builder Mr. Main would be it, but Spaceman is not far behind.

Michael_V

I've had two Spaceman fuzzes: a Spacerocket and a Titan II. I'm not a fuzz aficionado by any means but I do have pedals by Skreddy, Joe Gore, Basic Audio, and Paul Trombetta. I would say the Spaceman pedals I tried were good but not magical and (for me) not worth the huge premium they're going for (I got both of mine in trades). I would check out Joe Gore for fuzz pedals at least as good as Spaceman but a helluva lot more reasonably priced. Or if time and money are no object, get a Paul Trombetta. His pedals are the definition of magical.