Spaceman Nebula

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Plexico, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Hear any of the fuss in the news about Amazon not shipping here because we insist on GST and that they do it? Well, smaller companies aren't going to register and go through the paperwork/computer systems to and adjust prices etc. for the size of market we are.

Thank you Gerry Harvey and mates!

johnetone likes this.
  2. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

GST = G'day Standard Time?

johnetone, ubenjammin2 and Erswell like this.
  3. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

:) I wish! Good and Services Tax doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

johnetone, Erswell and msnes335 like this.
  4. Erswell

Erswell Member

Doh! Thanks for updating me - be interesting to see how it all pans out.

5. Madrone

Madrone Member

First time Spaceman owner here and got to test drive my Nebula for the first time tonight... here’s my crappy iPhone clip for you all. I have similar impressions as others here. It has a very wide range of sounds and my clip has my 2 favorite... a clean blend with a little fuzz and then a full on crazy spacey fuzzy tone. My clip is the spaceman going into an El Cap. I really dig this pedal... it’s very different from everything else in my arsenal and will work great for the psychedelic rock record I’m working on now.

Cheers!
    :beer

jm9239, splatt, Flatscan and 5 others like this.
  6. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

That sounds really good! I’m trying to figure out which one you have from the light ~ it looks pale blue? maybe green? If it’s green, is it the Moonrock edition? Hmm ... the chrome and teal editions seem to have green lights as well... but yours looks blue ... it’s very nice, the light ... is it the black edition then? I think only the black one has the pretty blue light ... oh man i’ve lost it, never mind! Great clip regardless!

AceBSpankin and Madrone like this.
  7. Madrone

Madrone Member

LOL! It’s the Moonrock, and the light is a pale blue. I really dig the look of this version, though I’m sure they all look cool!

And thanks for the kind words, glad you dig the clip.

urQuill and johnetone like this.
  8. Madrone

Madrone Member

Here’s a little better pic of my moonrock with the light blue light. Really great looking.

Mosley, johnetone, friend33 and 4 others like this.
  9. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Well, the USPS may have made some arrangement or other - because the Teal Nebula bounced back to Australia and is now sitting on my desk. I had some more time with it over the weekend - and stacking them doesn't sound like a bad idea! Love the clean tones as well as the crazy - now I can get really, really crazy!

10. johnetone

johnetone Member

So at this point I am pretty psyched with the Nebula. It has made it into my board as a permanent member:

Almost everything to the right of it (fuzzwise) is superfluous in my rig now. I could seriously have more than enough gain options with just the Nebula and the Brothers. But this is how I'm going to keep things until later this year / early next year when I pick up a Kingsley Transvestite Knight in Tights Tube Overdrive.

The ∞ setting is very similar to the Prescription Effects Experience with Swell mode engaged. It also sounds a lot like the VFE Woodchipper imo. But having the body of the guitar still making its way through somehow makes this setting way more useful compared to a straight Octavian or Tone Machine variant. Even with the mix knob maxxed to the effect side, there is still way more body, clarity and note definition than any other octave up pedal I have ever heard!

One question I have for anyone familiar with other Spaceman offerings (and other pedals in general) is what do you think of the ≈ setting and what it also sounds similar to? For example, is it at all similar to the overdrive of the Voyager, Aphelion, Saturn V, Mercury IV? Anything else it reminds you of? Maybe it's just the sound of a Tone Machine with clean blend? But if you have any other ideas, let me know. I would love to hear your opinions!

Mahalo ~ Tone

11. johnetone

johnetone Member

By the way dude. Despite my earlier reply to you about fuzz before phase yadayada, I ended up thinking on it and fooling around some, and decided to put the Nebula post Explorer. There’s a few cool settings with the phase before the fuzz that I think are excellent! And since the Nebula is very good at translating tone, I actually feel like this is a fuzz I can treat the same way I would a really nice overdrive. In Nebula I Trust!

friend33 and flyingmusicman like this.
  12. Spider Mark

Spider Mark Member

Stacking Nebulas is heaven on six strings. I only had an hour to play, and just messed around with very light fuzz tones, just fiddling with the Clean and Density for each with one having the left-side switch up for blending – and it sounds so sweet. Obviously, I have a wealth of other tones to explore – crazy Nebula into clean, both crazy and so on – but I really like the stacked light fuzz. I enjoy the mini-bends and slides it encourages. Some people say “Stop playing pedals and play your guitar”. Well, these pedals help me play guitar better and more often.

Now I have GAS for an Explorer in between. It never ends! Oh, my aching credit-card. It needs a rest.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i was there for that gig..

14. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

Man the Explorer GAS got me today, and I ordered one o_O

johnetone, Flatscan and Spider Mark like this.
  15. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Nice! :aok

Do you remember which show you were at? He did an early and a late show on both Dec 31st, and Jan 1st.

I was about 9 months away from being born at the time, but the midnight show on the 31st (actually any one of them), is in my top 3 - if I had a time machine - concerts.

16. jfwund

jfwund Member

Bit the bullet and bought my first Spaceman tonight. Got a good deal on a brand new silver/black faceplate so went with that one, though I dig the sparkle colors too. My board is in a state of flux, so it might be a while before I really get to put it through its paces, but I'm looking forward to checking it out!

johnetone and friend33 like this.
  17. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Internet Moderator/Super Hero Staff Member Supporting Member

Are those real Kingsley pedals you mentioned? If so, what are they?

johnetone likes this.
  18. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

I think he is talking about just one, in jest. Maybe the Jouster?

johnetone likes this.
  19. johnetone

johnetone Member

So, I asked Simon if he could build me a Harlot with defeatable FET-Boost and he said Yea! There was a bit of a discussion on what to call such a pedal over on the Kingsley Pedal Club thread. And “Transvestite Knight in Tights” was something I came up with that made me laugh.

For now, that is the working title of the pedal I hope to see by the end of the year or beginning of next. Essentially, it will function as a Harlot or Page since the Harlot is a Page with a FET-Boost before the tube. So that’s kind of where my cross-dressing theme comes from.

However, I have no idea if Simon will decide that this pedal will have a new name, or if it will just be a new version of a Harlot or what. He said that he wants to have a new enclosure for it that’s the same size as a regular Harlot and that it would have two footswitches (one for on/off and one for the FET stage). But he also mentioned that he might have to stuff it in one of his dual enclosures if my name pops up before it’s all ironed out.

I got on the list in December and don’t expect to hear anything more about this until Nov/Dec this year. So it’ll be a while yet. But once it happens, it’s party time!

friend33 and flyingmusicman like this.
  20. johnetone

johnetone Member