Spaceman Nebula

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Plexico, Jul 11, 2018.

1. johnetone

johnetone Member

2. Madrone

Madrone Member

Thanks for posting your settings! I’m gonna try these out when I get my Nebula back in the rehearsal space next week.

:beer

Flatscan and johnetone like this.
  3. jfwund

jfwund Member

Got my Nebula the other day and have only had a little time to play with it. First impressions were that this was a pretty subtle pedal - sounded ok but I didn't really have the time to dig into it. Well, tonight I had some time, and man, I'm impressed by the sheer range that this pedal has. Very interactive knobs and a bunch of great sounds lurking here. It's a very musical sounding pedal, if that makes sense.

For a while tonight, I had it dialed in to give me basically a clean boost, with a buzzy, fuzzy, mess underneath the clean guitar - almost sounded like 2 instruments. The last setting I used is below - almost a ring mod-esque tone, sounded particularly good with a rhythmic delay and some chord fragments/triads.

I'm really digging the way the Nebula manages to maintain clarity, no matter how filthy the fuzz is. I can tell that I have a lot more digging to do with this - it's going to be one of those pedals that you can just sit down and play with.

[​IMG]

ubenjammin2, johnetone and friend33 like this.
  4. ipm

ipm Supporting Member

David, did you tried to include Copper Penny with low gain settings in the chain with Rotobone set like that? Man, that's a killer!

flyingmusicman and friend33 like this.
  5. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Member

From the glowing reviews and posts here, I’m surprised they are still available new, with a number of listings on Reverb.

6. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

The Nebula is cool. Like most things fuzz, one is not necessarily better than the other, just a different flavor to enjoy. I've been on a bit of an octave fuzz binge this year, so the Nebula has been splitting time with a vintage Fender Blender, a Basic Audio Blender, a Jext Foxx, a PE Experience, and I'm waiting on John to finish up a BA Foxx version with a blend control. Not a bad one in the bunch, but they do have their own individual characteristics.

I imagine the price and quantity produced of the Nebula may play some role in their continued availability, but that has been the case for a several Spaceman pedals anyways. People forget that WOWs sat for sale for a long time before they all were snatched up, and now, Titans and Atlas pedals remain available.

7. dg87

dg87 Member

Pretty crazy how many of them are back on reverb.

8. misa

Its hard to keep an eye on that with all the Mercury IV’s cluttering my feed.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Member

I still think the Nebula is cool AF. I've been running it into a medium dirty Sound City Master One Hundred and really liking it.

friend33, ubenjammin2 and johnetone like this.
  10. johnetone

johnetone Member

I only counted 12 actual used units on Reverb. the rest are all new listings by dealers.

@misa how does that Jext Foxxx compare to the Experience?

friend33 likes this.
  11. johnetone

johnetone Member

It's become my main distortion sound in the ≈ mode! I had a Titan II for a minute. But the Nebula sounds better in my rig and is more dynamic.

friend33 likes this.
  12. misa

Well...overall sound is definitely close . Apart from the obvious difference with the Swell function, I would say the Jext is a touch more scooped/the high end hash has more clarity and presence/more chaotic. But that is being pretty critical, I could venture that it is just a matter of tolerances between units.

friend33 likes this.
  13. johnetone

johnetone Member

and based on your post in SF, I guess you wont be getting the BA Foxton? It's too bad, because it's actually my favorite octave up fuzz! It would've been interesting with a blend control.

Between the Jext and the PE which do you like better? Have you tried pushing either of them into a fuzz face yet? To me that sound is absolutely magic!

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

duuuuude...... SC Master 100!
    congrats!

Tom Von Kramm and AceBSpankin like this.
  15. misa

I had John send me a regular Foxton rather than a custom. I was really hoping to have a Tone Machine-type fuzz with blend so I could also use it on bass without losing so much fundamental low end. That said, the Foxton sounds the most different out of the Jext, PE, or MXR La Machine. Like most of John's variations, I find it to have less treble available and and a more focused mid-range. That tends to work pretty well in a mix and makes for a really good prominent tone, but if someone was chasing a more classic Tone Machine sound, I would probably steer them towards a different direction.

But I agree, it is a really good octave fuzz in its own right.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    urQuill, friend33 and johnetone like this.
  16. johnetone

johnetone Member

@misa got any clips? I would love to hear you play through any of those foxxx’z :drool:love::bong

friend33 likes this.
  17. misa

Not at the moment, but I'm finally clearing out some floor and desk space in my music room to be able to record more easily. I'll keep your request in mind.

friend33, johnetone and AceBSpankin like this.
  18. dg87

dg87 Member

Anybody has both the Sputnik and the Nebula?

19. johnetone

johnetone Member

I have the Sputnik II and Nebula. What’s up?

20. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Regular Sputnik + Nebula here.

johnetone likes this.