Spaceman Polaris

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by misa, Apr 11, 2019.

1. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Bass demos will be cool. I think the Polaris will be perfect with synths. The bass sculpting with the filter options will do a lot that I don't think guitar only people are understanding yet... the recent couple releases are guitar pedals, but they're designed for more. The disconnect is that since Spaceman runs a guitar pedal company the user base isn't really set to understand the routing and modulation control options of a few of the recent releases. Kind've like how I never understood the fascination with Moog pedals until I got into synths... the market is just so much bigger and so certain pedals are marketed to one crowd when they're really perfectly suited for another crowd. The Polaris + Mission Control + Zoia are going to be a crazy combination.

friend33, ubenjammin2, Mosley and 3 others like this.
  2. johnetone

johnetone Member

Zoia! Zoia! Zoia! Totally man. Couldn't agree more!

3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Andy’s demo seemed to treat it like a weak wah pedal.
    I have a better wah pedal.

The drive tones were not grabbing me.

Need!

-bEn r.

PurpleJesus and Meriphew like this.
  4. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

I’m stoked about this one, grabbed a white one :dude It seems like the drive tone is similar to the drive section of the Voyager, which I absolutely love. I think the tone sculpting power of this combined with the Nebula is going to be an insane combo for multi-tracking.

5. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I think the demos - funny, I almost never enjoy the playing in demos of Spaceman effects; the demos are well done and the guys play really well, but ... I dunno what it is; has anyone else noticed this? - anyway I think the demos do show some really good sounds. Actually, I like the Gearmandude demo. As he notes at the end, it does sound really "natural" and pretty nice overall.

The filters sound good, and it's true, they are not like a wah; this is an example of the way people tend to play Spaceman effects, it's not a wah, why are they playing it like a wah, let's have a little more imagination here fellas - using them like a wah sells them short

- it's like those times when you have your wah cooking and you try to do something with it and it's just not quite right somehow; your imagination wants to do something but the wah pedal - as great a wah as it might be - is sort of close but it's not the right tool

the filters in this new pedal, they seem different, maybe they are the right-er tool for those things

Anyway, quibbles aside, the qualities of the drive is pretty nice, I like it, seems detailed, interesting and dynamic.

And fwiw I absolutely love the Mission Control. I got some sounds out of that thing with very simple connections to a really basic fuzz that I dreamed about getting as a little kid - got so excited I had to go lie down

There is definitely a new design principle that seems to be guiding the Spaceman releases lately; does anyone know what or who is behind all that? Some hints from those in the know have been dropped in a few posts - got any more info?

6. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Totally agree with you here... the demos are well done and those guys did very well trying to show this as a guitar effect... I just don't think it's really a "guitar effect." I'm trying to think of another guitar effect that has a di-pole filter and a resonant filter that are able to be modulated from an outside source. My inner voice is telling me Portland and the modular scene are growing on the cosmonaut and he's adapting his skill set to cross the divide... using modular synth circuits in guitar advertised effects that are made to me more sound modulators than blanket effects over a raw guitar tone. This is sort of new territory and I really like it! The only other thing on the market using these same modulation principals is the Zoia... this is new territory for the industry and I really hope it catches on, because I think there are truly unique sounds and fresh music to be made.

johnetone and friend33 like this.
  7. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

When the launch came up and I saw it was “just” an OD, my interest was quelled for the day (along with the fact that I just bought a guitar and don’t have the scratch available right this second).

However, I had time to watch the demos today. Andy’s didn’t really do anything for me, but the Demos in the Dark one, to me, shows the great potential of the tone sculpting features. Like others, I hear some Voyager DNA in there, which is a great thing.

It’s nice that he’s making enough pedals now so that we don’t have to chop each other up in a big immediate feeding frenzy, all limping away with big chunks out of our fins... and, not a huge difference in the different color schemes other than color preferences, not so much in terms of NOS components, etc. I think the black looks fine/great, that’s probably what I will pick up when I get a chance in the next month or so.

And, it definitely does look like they’re moving in the direction of things that will work well with the MC. (So, if he does come out with a delay pedal...:cool:)

8. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I don't know the particulars but some of the pedals that come to mind for me as possible points of comparison more broadly are the Fairfield Four Eyes, Chase Bliss Condor and Moog Drive (only the Condor is still in production).

flyingmusicman likes this.
  9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I love the Four Eyes, but didn't find it worked well (for me) with the Mission Control. It seemed like the Four Eyes wants you to focus your exp pedal in some sweet spot, where the MC's full range oscillation on the CV was just too wide.

10. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Thanks for that Tim. Your comment made me smile. I will pick one up a Mission Control at some point.

Demoing a pedal, especially one bringing less traditional functionality is tricky to super difficult. Some of the Spaceman demos are not great.

I thought the Spaceman phaser demo was exceptional and really brought it out, however. I also really liked some of the Atlas demos (and I was a mega-skeptic for that one). While I haven't tried the Mission Control, I thought its demo was very convincing and that one was especially tricky.

Farkedeltorre, urQuill and friend33 like this.
  11. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I'm still curious about the Mission Control but I remember one thread on it resulting in confusion over what is or isn't compatible (other than Spaceman stuff) and how exactly to find out the specs required for both the MC and whatever pedals you have... sounds like at least that one Fairfield pedal worked... any others you've tried? I would expect Moog stuff would work (?)

12. Jerrod

I think everything that can accept an ExpPedal/CV input is "compatible". The question is just whether you like the outcome. I haven't dinked around with a bunch of others, though I have a Chase Bliss Brothers I've been meaning to try, as well as my Source Audio Kingmaker.

Tabor likes this.
  13. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Great list Matthew. I would add Harmonic Energizer clones (e.g. the Triskelion, Son of Kong, etc.).

Tabor likes this.
  14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Looks very cool. But, I need another OD like I need a hole in the head.

15. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

More holes let your head “breathe”.

Not Orange, Meriphew, sanfi4u and 3 others like this.
  16. Jerrod

Makes for a more open sound.

17. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Cool!

... and I agree with everything in your post.

I have one of those EHX Next Step expression pedals that can supply CV as well as do the expression thing. The MC is not set up to work with expression pedals (the design idea is that it is the expression pedal) but when I have time to try it ... I look forward to having something more to say about this.

friend33 and Flatscan like this.
  18. johnetone

johnetone Member

I’m pretty sure a guy by the name of Morgan Lamont has been working there for a few years. He (in goggles) and Zak (in spacesuit) were interviewed about the Explorer in one of the Distortion LTD articles a while back. Zak gives him credit for the extra cool features of the Explorer (waveshape/exp control). and since then the Nebula and Mission Control both seem to have his design fingerprint front and center as well.

Not sure how involved he was with the design, but his signature is also in my Sputnik II.

19. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

While I still love the space vibe of Spaceman pedals, I've kind of lost interest with the latest releases. The mission control is an exception, though. That's a very exciting concept and I hope it will pave the way for more CV implementation and modular thinking in guitar rigs.

What I do like is that more people have the opportunity to enjoy the Spaceman experience. For pedal nerds it really is the ultimate ride :D

20. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I watched the demo vids last night. The two that stood out to me were the one with the guy in the cycler cap (he did a good job of showcasing the filter section), and Nick's video. Nick did a great job of showing the versatility in sounds that this od is capable of.

mmmaslowski and urQuill like this.