Spaceman Polaris

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by misa, Apr 11, 2019.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Not the same, but ok.

2. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Yup, Polaris is totally different from Polaris. :rolleyes:

Digitech is still in business and the pedal is listed on their website as for sale. So they're still manufacturing them.

But my point is that it's ridiculous that Eventide sued to have Tom Cram change the name of his company when this is a much closer example of what Eventide was complaining about and nobody is suing anyone.

It really had nothing to do with the Spaceman Polaris itself but you seem awfully defensive about it.

3. your name here

Alright. Have a good weekend! :)

4. your name here

Anybody else received a Polaris yet? I feel like I ordered late, so the sparse feedback in this thread is a little strange... How are you all liking yours?

:D

5. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Mine has just crossed the 49th parallel and Canada Post has it now - I should be receiving it within couple of days; I can certainly share my impressions here. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I have had no prior experience with the Spaceman products, thus my feedback may be limited to my impression what the pedal does as opposed how it sounds relative to their previous creations.

Happy Easter, everyone!

friend33, hippieboy, Mosley and 2 others like this.
  6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Maybe not, but Polaris is a little different from Polara.

7. your name here

I’m looking forward to hearing your impressions. This one definitely has the Spaceman flavor, but is more versatile eq and voicing wise than the other Spaceman drives I’ve owned, imo.

I’m really happy with it. The only thing I’d wish for is more gain. Not necessary in my case, but it would’ve been a nice bonus.

mmmaslowski likes this.
  8. Muffin Sounds

Muffin Sounds Member

I got my Chrome last week! I really dig it and can’t wait to bring it to rehearsal this week. I think it sounds fantastic with lots of versatility. It’s my first Spaceman pedal and I am quite impressed.

9. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

I'm glad that you are getting good results. I've watched Curtis Kent's YT video demo with the Benson Monarch and Novo Serus T as the test bed for the pedal - what a gnarly & barking tone! I can only imagine how piercing it will sound with a Tele (the Serus had a Tele bridge pup); running it in that config I bet there will never be a problem cutting through the mix!

I am planning on running mine with a Benson, too, but that's coming (much) later. I'll be definitely sharing my impressions once I receive the pedal.

johnetone likes this.
  10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I just ran my Jazz Bass through it. All I will say is grab it now if you’re interested. Once your bass players discover it, they will be gone.

11. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

Yeah totally this^ It kills on bass and baritone

12. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Ssshhh!!!

:(
    I’m not ready yet

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  13. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Well, I was so proud of myself with my recent massive selloff that...well... I thought like I had earned/deserved a “reward” for my great/exemplary behavior.

So, a black one should be here on Thursday. :cool:

I need serious help. (And not the kind of “help” I am going to get in this thread. o_O Basically the opposite...)

14. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

There’s a new white one on Reverb if anyone is interested. I have no affiliation with the listing.

15. ubenjammin2

ubenjammin2 Member

There was a chrome one up this morning for retail. Someone got pretty lucky cuz it was gone real quick.

johnetone likes this.
  16. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I have a White one in transit now.

17. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Hmm, did they just realist it then at $600?

18. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

I got the Polaris pretty quickly after buying it on launch day, but I got sick and didn't have a chance to play it much.

It is an interesting pedal that sounds pleasant. I think it would actually excel better with a synth and using the CV as a sidechain with a sequence. Someone should do that video!

I could also see where it would be quite handy for a bass player.

As for guitar, it is nice for my uses and could easily hang as a go-to moderate drive pedal, but there are other spaceman pedals (and combos) I prefer at this point. I also think a somewhat tame drive doesn't compliment the filter section as much as a more wild fuzz or overdrive would (something with plenty of artifacts). So, the Polaris is a welcome addition to my Spaceman collection, but I think it'll ride out most of its days in the box being brought out to try in the studio from time to time.

I do have one truly negative thing to say about the pedal though. I got the "white" edition and I truly dislike the new "white" finish. It feels like someone took normal paint and slapped it on the enclosure, it is deadened, plastic feeling, and a mat-finish (which I don't universally hate). In comparison, I have a white edition Orion and that finish is glossy, thick, and it feels like a piece of space equipment - totally different finish from any other pedal manufacturer.

I was pretty disappointed when I held the pedal for the first time and that may be factoring into why I'm content to just keep it in the box.

johnetone likes this.
  19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Though I haven't done an exhaustive comparison with mine, it feels like the Polaris (at least without considering the CV) has some overlap with the Sparkle Drive.

20. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I’ve noticed that the Polaris looks like it has a big white nylon washer under the footswitch too. I’ve never seen those on the older models. Not a big deal, but it isn’t very attractive from the pics I’ve seen. I hope Spaceman hasn’t dropped the ball on the level of craftsmanship.

PurpleJesus and johnetone like this.