Spaceman Saturn VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

In for a white one! Woohoo! :)

2. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Nice, smooth website experience (thank goodness)!

Can’t wait to see how it compares to the original.

dansworld, Mosley and flyingmusicman like this.
  3. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

Went with red to match my Gemini IV

4. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

White one here too!

Mosley, 68dripedge and flyingmusicman like this.
  5. atallen

atallen Member

I went standard. I debated one of the colors, because I have other Spaceman pedals in those enclosures, but I also have the raw, and it might actually be my favorite, thought the black looks pretty damn good.

6. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Wooooo, refreshing worked! In for a white one! Kept saying sold out, try back in 5 minutes. Refreshed every couple minutes and it took a while but one finally became available. Happy camper right here!

7. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

I'm glad they brought the Saturn back, as it is one of my favorite Spaceman pedals. That said, I'm just going to stick with my original version and use my guitar or amp tone controls.

I'll be interested to see the new guts for the Standard version with its "contemporary manufacturing techniques."

8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

Saturn is by far my favorite of his pedals. I’ve been looking and just haven’t been able to bring myself to spend $500+ on one. And then this gets released and adds the one thing the original lacked - tone control!!!

I just went standard and got one off Reverb from an authorized dealer for $175. Free shipping too :)

9. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I bought the red one direct and it had free shipping this time.

10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Looks like there are two build types - standard and limited. The limited are hand-soldered, hand selected components, etc. Standard I presume is in some way machine soldered or assisted (?) and parts *should* be the same? Anyway, I forestalled the debt police today, so I grabbed a red one (mainly because there was no chrome or copper)

Standard Edition
    The Standard Edition gets straight to the heart of Spaceman: Inspiring musicians through unique tones, timeless style, and dependable build quality. By introducing contemporary manufacturing techniques to complement our traditional build style, we can now offer this hand-built edition without strictly limited quantities. Featuring a rugged, raw metal enclosure, our signature engraved faceplate and distinctive aesthetic, the Standard Edition is the most accessible way to experience the magic of Spaceman.

Limited Edition
    The Limited Edition celebrates the art of pedal building and goes deeper into the details of handcrafting effects. We meticulously approach every element, from individual solder joints to hand selected components, with unrivaled reverence. Featuring aesthetics like powder coated and chrome plated enclosures, engraved faceplates, deluxe packaging with extra swag and our unique build style, the Limited Edition is the expression of Spaceman’s highest ideals. These pedals are made in strictly limited and numbered small batches, often incorporating rare or vintage parts.

[​IMG]
    https://spacemaneffects.com/about/#editions

johnetone, Mosley and flyingmusicman like this.
  11. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I went with the standard. But am I understanding right in that these are built differently now? From reading about the "editions" it seems the Standard are using new manufacturing techniques? So assuming not handbuilt anymore?

I was on the fence and the $90 price difference was enough that I figured I'll give the standard version a try to see what's up.

Mosley and flyingmusicman like this.
  12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

I think it’s more about the enclosures and “hand selecting components” bc it says the standard is handbuilt too, “...we can now offer this hand-built edition without strictly limited quantities.”

13. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

Decided to hold off and wait for more finishes to come out since I'm really happy with my Saturn V.

I really liked the red finish on my Gemini IV but wanted something different and I really didn't like the new white finish on the Polaris. I have a copper Saturn V that has been a staple of my sound for a long time (nothing to do with the finish), so if I were to get a Saturn VI I'd prefer to get another copper or at least olive drab (a finish that has always managed to elude me).

I will say that the update is probably needed. I've noticed that the Saturn V is more muddy behind things like an active compressor. The new tone knob should help correct that issue. That said, aside from the before mentioned issue that I experience, I thought the Saturn V was perfectly dialed in.

johnetone, hillbillypolack and Mosley like this.
  14. Blanket Jackson

Yeah, I saw that too, but I am honestly still confused a little ...
    I would think that the enclosure is the easiest thing to change and maintain the standard magic.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  15. PurpleJesus

I’ll crack it open when I get it. I’ve got tons of Saturn V gut shots to compare it with.

johnetone, Sociophile, jm9239 and 3 others like this.
  16. Blanket Jackson

Thanks. If I understand correctly, the Saturn V was Ge based and (in my experience) kind of sounded like a souped up and modded Rangemaster + boost. One thing I would be interested in is if the architecture in the new one is similar (i.e. Ge based, same design basis). I couldn't find anything in the description to say how the OD is generated.

17. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

Maybe Spaceman will post a pic themselves of the new Standard edition, but I would interpret it to be hand-assembled pedals but the circuit boards are machine populated and soldered. My bigger question is if they are using full-size or SMD components.

18. PurpleJesus

I’m honestly not sure what transistor he used bc back in 2012 he was still handscraping or painting over the component values.

As far as the sound, yeah, that’s an apt comparison. It just sounds gooder when on. The Saturn set just above unity into a Princeton Reverb is one of the best clean tones I’ve ever heard.

johnetone, Sociophile, XeMeme and 2 others like this.
  19. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

I grabbed a black one, it’ll match my black Gemini and even though it’s a bunch more than the “Standard Edition” it’s a ton less than a used Saturn V lol, but seriously it’s great to see the Saturn available as a non-limited edition pedal, Saturn is a killer circuit

johnetone and XeMeme like this.
  20. atallen

atallen Member

The limited editions didn't have it on this release, but I think future limited editions will see things like the dimmable lights and hopefully the eventual return of the "S" knobs that won't be on the standards.

Ardour likes this.