Spaceman Saturn VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Thought I was going to wait a bit on this one. I had a Saturn V way back when they first came out, ended up moving it along as I preferred other boosts/drives that I had at the time. But I’ve been curious to try one again with a couple amps I’m now playing, and I think the tone control will be a great addition. And - now affordable again! So, I snagged a black tonight. :cool:

I like this new wrinkle in business model. Specific numbers for all the limited edition releases, but no number for the standard because he will just keep making them. This really should help to keep the market more sane. Used standards would have to be sold at enough of the reduction to make it worth it compared to just buying a new one. And the LE and 2-knob OG version prices would ultimately have to remain within shouting distance of the standard new/used prices. He could also continue to release periodic small batches of LE versions in different colors.

I’m wondering if he’s thinking about going back and doing this with other popular previously released models - like the Aphelion or Voyager, perhaps - or only with new designs going forward?

johnetone, sanfi4u, Mosley and 2 others like this.
  2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

I want another Rumblefuzz sooooo bad. If he’s going to go w this style of production I hope the Rumble gets a new edition next. It’s one of the 2-3 best fuzz pedals I’ve played.

friend33, johnetone and Mosley like this.
  3. whateverdude

whateverdude Supporting Member

Commence YouTube in in 5...4...3...2

PurpleJesus likes this.
  4. Erswell

Erswell Member

Loved the dynamics on my Sat V but was a bit dark in my rig. This incoming black VI should be just about perfect with the additional tonestack :)

Ardour, friend33 and johnetone like this.
  5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

I mentioned earlier how good the Saturn sounds into a Princeton, and then noticed this dude is using a Milkman Creamer - which is mostly a Princeton - and check out how good it sounds. Just killer.

Mosley, friend33, Tabor and 3 others like this.
  6. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I agree - it sounds kind of like a "Princeton" can become an "AC15" (and so much more)

Mosley and PurpleJesus like this.
  7. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

will this pedal be available in europe? because i cant see it anywhere in EU

8. feet

feet Supporting Member

I've seen random Euro stores carry spaceman pedals ( online), so maybe?
    cranked to ****, it isn't worlds apart from the sl drive or black secret I have next to it. It is clearer though. More open, less compressed, etc. A neat wrinkle for sure, but feels a little silly to " waste" it like that.

Vaguely curious about another, but it seems silly to do that now that they are production models, and I could theoretically get one whenever. Never felt the need for a tone knob on it, but I'm sure it's nice.

9. PurpleJesus

How do you mean "waste" it?

10. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

I checked from those where i bought my spaceman pedals but none of them has the Saturn on order

11. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I will probably pick one up. I have two original Sat V’s (copper and ruined) and I’ve honestly never felt I needed a tone knob with my amps/guitars, but I could see where that would be helpful for some types of setups.

ChampReverb likes this.
  12. feet

feet Supporting Member

it just seems a little odd to me that someone might have gone through the trouble of tracking one down, paying $5-700 or whatever for it and deciding to use it to play judas priest riffs, is all. there are cheaper and easier ways to get there, and there are more compelling uses for this pedal. and i doubt this is one a heavier player's radar for that purpose.

but the metal is fun with it.

i'm not a fan of the 60fps jitter thing or the morph transitions, but that's just me.

as for the rest, yeah, it's bad. occam's razor would be to shoot at the aperture you're at or wider, and then just shoot the close-ups as inserts rather and drop those in over the master, rather than trying to hold the pedal out and having to deal with two planes of focus. that would be annoying and possibly distracting even if you had someone pulling focus for you. which you don't apparently :). i'd advocate simple, repeatable processes and results if you're a one man band, as it'll let you focus more on playing.

and if we're super bitch ass nitpicking, there's a hotspot on your forehead, so use more diffusion, back the light up, take it down a bit or powder up. and if you raise the camera just a touch, it'll force your chin up a little, which will elongate your neck and increase your sexy. and while i don't mind the placement of the pedal in the knob turning bit, that's a lot of negative space to just not use at all. if you had text, other pedals, decorations or anything to even periodically occupy the space it would make more sense than a more dramatic framing just for the sake of looking cool.

just trying to be constructive; first time, long time. always enjoy your unique playing, and am grateful you choose to share it. :wave

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    Bshecko and Jerrod like this.
  13. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I noticed @Less=more shared a detail about input impedance in his video. Here's what the manual says:

"The high 2M ohm input impedance reduces all loading on pickups when connected directly to an instrument. For this reason, the Saturn VI’s suggested placement is at the beginning of a pedal chain. Allowing pickups their full sonic output, this results in an added presence and sparkle to your tone. However, the Saturn VI is happy to be placed anywhere in your signal chain without compromise."

So for maximum presence the Saturn VI should be first in line (but it's also happy anywhere). I wonder if the Saturn V also has this 2M ohm input impedance...

tmd187 and johnetone like this.
  14. PurpleJesus

I doubt it's on the radar for "heavier" players too. That's why I mentioned it. There's no trouble tracking one down for $500-700, they're readily available now for $179, and knowing that you can use it as a boost, or as a boosted overdrive itself...is useful information for those that hadn't played one. If you're talking about me personally tracking one down for $500-700 then you have nothing to worry about as I bought the original when it was brand new and sitting in a local music shop. Then. I experimented with it and found multiple uses. What a waste of time.

Just trying to be constructive....:wave

Flatscan and johnetone like this.
  15. feet

feet Supporting Member

no worries, i'm not mad. i'm not challenging the notion. it was just a funny thought; someone on the gear page buying a super expensive, semi unobtanium pedal (until yesterday, i guess) for teh brootz. which i sort of did, actually, heh :oops: i think i like mine more boosting other things rather than being boosted, but i'm not a huge experimenter or tone astronaut or whatever. i just play. rock and let rock.

i'm also a day one original owner (ruined edition), so i bristled at what the prices became. and people love to challenge my observations on the pedal, too, like i never seen one before or somehow don't know how to turn it on or whatever, because i tend to look at it in a more realistic and less fawning light.

i remember when i was looking for another saturn once and i just went down the list of his vendors and a few euro stores had them- one in sweden, i remember. maybe import one from another continent? or hope to get lucky with a vendor in a different country?

16. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

The original actually stated a 4.7M ohm input impedance. One could definitely tell the guitar signal brightened up.

Flatscan, johnetone and Tabor like this.
  17. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Well, whether you like the new business model or you think its bad for the brand just one day later all 179 of the Limited Edition Saturn VI pedals in various colors are currently sold out!

(Now, I'm pretty sure a few of those will pop up at dealers because some shops only list once they have the stock in hand and won't do pre-orders like some did yesterday). By contrast there are still Gemini IV units and quite a few Polaris units available months after release.

So despite the new "standard edition" being available the "limited edition" fully handwired version is still in high demand. They're different products at different price points. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing what differences @PurpleJesus and other double dippers can reveal.

dansworld, Flatscan, friend33 and 3 others like this.
  18. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

Late for the party again. I waited years for this model to be reissued. It was a great surprise to see it available again.
    Because I don't have a credit card, I waited until today to buy a Limited Edition Saturn VI through a friend's card. Now, all they are out of stock. :(

@PurpleJesus , @CreoleDave
    If you get rid of your LE SatVI after the comparison with the standard, please let me know. Thank you both!

CreoleDave and PurpleJesus like this.
  19. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

There are probably some on Reverb.com

Flatscan, Lupus87 and PurpleJesus like this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

There are 2 up there now. One white and one red listed ‘new’ for $750 and $700 by the same seller.

The rest are standard edition.