Spaceman Saturn VI

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

Thaks for the advice. But I was hesitant to buy an used Saturn V all these years because Reverb prices are specially sick.
    I hope that the release of the Standard version will be the opportunity for Spaceman pedals not to become unaffordable.
    I am neither a collector nor a buyer/seller. In fact I always keep what I buy because I take enough time to decide. For me, pedals are tools. And personally the Saturn V / VI is the only Spaceman pedal that interests me. Months ago I wrote to the company to reconsider launching it again, is a great circuit that unfortunately has been damaged by the small batches and people who speculate with that to do business. The only thing that separates me from buying a standard now is knowing if the SE has the same sound and build quality as the LE. Until yesterday I had no problem paying the price difference in between to be sure , but I'm not willing to pay an abusive price for that gap (The color enclosures are prettier, I admit :D). I am glad that Spaceman has reconsidered its position and can offer permanent stock of its great designs.

2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Yesterday there were a few at the same price as the Spaceman release. I considered picking up a red one to match my Gemini IV.

3. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

@Lupus87 - My guess is that some additional retailers will put up retail priced Saturn VI limited editions once their shipment arrives in a week or so (similar to how the Gemini IV selling went).

Plus, you could catch the front end of the "tried it, but didn't jive with it" wave and pick up a lightly used one for a likely discount. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think having the standard edition being unlimited and in potentially constant production is going to put a cap on second-hand price gauging.

Flatscan, hillbillypolack and Lupus87 like this.
  4. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

I'll wait a little then. Thanks!

5. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

On the bright side, I’ve never seen so many Saturn V’s hit reverb all at once.

I’m looking forward to comparisons between V, VI and VI limited.

hillbillypolack, Mosley and Lupus87 like this.
  6. cuseman731

cuseman731 Supporting Member

I liked the Saturn when I had the all white with green jewel. Just picked up an Atlas in the emporium for a good price but would like to try the new Saturn especially if the used prices are going to be reasonable. Looking forward to reviews.

Flatscan likes this.
  7. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Shipped!

Gotta love the new upgraded delivery model.

8. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Same; super quick. :)

9. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

My red one is one the way to. I think I had mine in 2 days last time.

Lupus87 likes this.
  10. Bshecko

Bshecko Member

Yup since this one I've changed aperture and lowered the ISO for bits as well as changed the field of view for auto focusing and it's helped in tests. Still have some work to do with it but it's getting more manageable. As for lighting I'm not using a diffuser on the light in front of me opting instead to back it to the end of the room but it's not working so diffuser it is. The other two lights have diffusers.

Thanks for taking the time to pass on the info. I need to know what viewers are thinking with this stuff aside from "this is awesome" and "you suck stop". Working on the focus... :aok

friend33, Jerrod and johnetone like this.
  11. feet

feet Supporting Member

a cheapo softbox from amazon would be plenty in many cases. or you could try raising the light, or lowering the intensity.

and one simple solution, if you can find a helper monkey, might be to go the gaffer tape route. i'm guessing you don't have a live view or a monitor set up for you while you're in front of the camera, so find a stand-in and park them where you'd be in the frame. then set up your lights and your camera as you see fit. then put down some tape to mark where the frame ends, where the plane of focus ends, and the camera position and lighting positions (and note the lens info too, if you're using a zoom lens). once that is squared away, you'll know how much space you have fore and aft to work with and still be sharp, and how much room you have off to the sides.

if you want to be super anal, you could do actual floorplans, shot lists and camera reports that document the position of the camera and the lights, as well as all the lens info and settings, etc. it's a lot of work, but then you'll know how to repeat what works and know what doesn't work. it'll help you nail down a process. you'll know what shots you need to shoot and how to shoot them. say, set up a for your talking portions, set up b for your playing, set up c for your knob turning, set up d for your close-ups and set up e for your inserts, etc. you'll know exactly where the camera goes, with which lens at what settings and where the lights go for each one of your angles/shots. removes the guesswork and it'll let you crank these out easier and faster.

Not Orange likes this.
  12. relix63

From a Facebook question:

How different from the V is it?

VI has Tone control, for more/less treble than the V. The V is mostly vintage parts, whereas the VI is modern parts - parts are all the same values as V. Limited Editions are 100% hand-soldered and handmade. Standard Edition is a mix of hand-soldered and machine-soldered, and fully hand-wired. V is true-bypass via footswitch, VI is true-bypass soft-touch switch and quiet relay. V has battery option, VI is power supply only.

13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I've said it before, but I think Spaceman deserves kudos for their improvements. They've made great strides in their product offerings, order process, and shipping.

jacopo, friend33 and Sociophile like this.
  14. chikubi

chikubi Member

Did they send an email notice? Just curious because I haven't seen anything yet, but payment cleared. Not worried at all. Can't wait for it to show!

15. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Yes, I got two shipping notices: one from PayPal, and one from Spaceman himself.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    chikubi and flyingmusicman like this.
  16. chikubi

chikubi Member

Cool, thanks. I’ll keep my eye for the email then.

Sociophile likes this.
  17. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

Ordered a standard version.. like i said on the Gemini IV thread, i've never wanted to buy Spaceman stuff because i thought it was all snake oil... Now i have 3 Spaceman pedals and i have to say they are the BEST fuzz/distortion/overdrive stuff i've ever playied and i cannot wait to have my Saturn VI on my board

18. Kendrick Lo

Kendrick Lo Member

I was able to nab a black edition. The Saturn V already occupies pretty much a permanent spot at the front of my main board but it may be time to make another mini board!

Mosley and johnetone like this.
  19. relix63

I checked my tracking info and it looks like I'll have my red one today.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:09 AM
  20. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

This should be a good weekend. Just got a new speaker in yesterday for my Carr Impala, have new tubes arriving today, and my pair of Saturn VIs look like they’ll be here tomorrow. Commence noise making.

friend33, Mosley, Sociophile and 2 others like this.