Spaceman Secret Mission IX

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaveNJ, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

The tones that RJ Ronquillo gets in his demo are closest to what I hear through my rig with the Voyager. I’d recommend that one for those who are curious at the Apollo.

2. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

Ha! I feel listened to. I've been saying for awhile that I love the Gain circuit of the Voyager and use it often as the main Drive on my board.

I do have a question though that maybe SMIX owners might be able to help me with:

Listening to the demos, I hear flavors of the Voyager gain circuit, but nothing really popping out as the Voyager's Gain section with "Filter" turned all the way up. Is it possible to replicate the Gain/Filter settings of the Voyager on the Apollo?

I understand that the LED clipping IS the heart of the Voyager Gain section, but to my ears the "Filter" knob on the Voyager was not a simple Tone circuit and a really big part of the Voyager sound that I love/use (I turn the Filter all the way up).

johnetone, Narwhal0514 and Mosley like this.
  3. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Here's a demo video that shows some preamp / low gain sounds (around 3 minutes in). I'm not liking the SI diode or LED clipping sounds in any of the demos. I'd probably almost exclusively use the diode lift.

Flatscan, Davin Kuntze and johnetone like this.
  4. Bryanssong

Bryanssong Member

To me it sounds really good, all of their pedals do. However with a Voyager, Aphelion, Polaris, Saturn VI & an Atlas III I think I’m good on the drive/boost pedals. More than likely with the fuzz pedals as well.

Really hoping to see a filter, compressor, chorus, flanger or delay from them next year.

Narwhal0514 likes this.
  5. saitama

saitama Member

Well I got one. $199 w/ free shipping. Std edition.

6. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

A reply to my own post:

I just watched one of the Demos where they actually do a side by side comparison of the Apollo to the Voyager and I can hear a difference when in LED clipping mode.

Now Andrea at Spaceman just confirmed that the "Tone" of the Apollo is the same as the "Filter" of the Voyager, so the difference I'm hearing could be related to the unique properties of comparable parts sourced roughly 4-5 years apart from one another, but I personally suspect that there is a bit more difference at play here (could be something as simple as the difference of when/where the Tone/Filter interacts with the Gain circuit).

Based on the demos, personally, I liked the sound of the Apollo more than the Voyager at max Gain; however, I usually use the Voyager as a drive with the Gain set to around 10-11 o'clock which I suspect would give me more "sparkle" (quoting Spaceman's website on the Voyager) than the Apollo with both pedals having their Tone/Filter maxed out.

I'll buy the Apollo after my winter travels and see for myself, but if any Voyager and SMIX or Apollo owners get a chance to A/B a bit more, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

Narwhal0514 likes this.
  7. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

It sounds identical to the Voyager 1 buuut oookaaayyy.

johnetone and thegrobe like this.
  8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

9. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I was surprised I had to dig down 3 pages to see if TGP was going to tell me to buy it or not.

10. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

I got a more detailed response from Morgan over at Spaceman on the similarities/differences between the Apollo and Voyager:

"Thanks for the interest in the Voyager & Apollo. I'm the designer of both pedals, and I'll give you a quick walkthrough of the similarities, and perhaps a few minor differences. Here's a quick overview of the layout: First is a gain stage, with a small amount of gain, the the low frequency rolloff of this stage is set at around 72Hz. Second is the filter control. This is a passive style filter, which in the voyager is variable from 230Hz to more than 15kHz. In the Apollo circuit the filter is the same layout but the range has been tweaked slightly to be 160Hz to more than 20kHz. So it can get a bit brighter and a bit darker that the Voyager, though all the Voyager sounds will exist in the Apollo Filter section. Third is a buffer, and main gain stage of the pedal. The buffer stage is identical between the Voyager and Apollo. The main gain stage is also setup the same way. Parts values are nearly identical with only minor tweaks to mimic the sound of the Voyager given that it's optocoupler was contributing to the frequency spectrum of it's sound. In addition, the forward voltage of the LED clipping is identical to the Voyager, though there may be very minor differences due to part tolerances. The Apollo also adds silicon diode clipping which is much smoother than the LED clipping. The silicon diodes are my personal favorite. We also allowed the diodes to be lifted which will make the Apollo a bit louder, and more open sounding. The total gain between the pedals is identical on paper, and the frequency response is similar, with the Apollo having a just slightly wider range. As you can see the layout is a bit different than a normal gain pedal. Normally the main gain stage would be first, then some tone shaping/additional gain, then a tone control, and make-up gain after that. This unique layout makes the Apollo and Voyager have an interesting ragged and percussive type of feeling vs other pedals, and more standard smoother sounds can be had by using the silicon diode clipping option."

sanfi4u, AXXA, ubenjammin2 and 13 others like this.
  11. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

Great info. Thanks for sharing that.

Interesting that Zak didn’t design the Voyager. Kudos to this mysterious Morgan!

Ardour and Mosley like this.
  12. johnetone

johnetone Member

that was a great deal on your Voyager! I bought my black one for $420 used and they originally were sold direct from Spaceman at $399.

the cheapest new Voyager was the silver one for $349 new. The most expensive was the copper at $499.

I'm really impressed with Morgan Lamont. He’s got a great ear for modulation and drive. I hope he makes us a flanger and a delay soon!

ubenjammin2, friend33 and Narwhal0514 like this.
  13. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Ok, I looked it up, it was $325, down from 349, on the black friday discount in 2015.

PurpleJesus, johnetone and Flatscan like this.
  14. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

I’m interested in this as well, as I’m also a Polaris fan and had basically convinced myself that the Polaris was the Voyager drive circuit, just with lots of extra tweakability with the filters.

@thegrobe , you demoed both the Polaris and Apollo - what are your thoughts on this?

urQuill and Flatscan like this.
  15. thegrobe

thegrobe Supporting Member

oh, right on! i always feel weird weighing in on these because i think more conceptually than technically, so bear with me... i love the polaris. it's consistently on my board. it's the kind of overdrive i dig: super natural sounding and with the filter and filter blending, there really isn't any EQ problem you can't solve with it. like, if you're playing a funky sounding room and you need more or less of a frequency, you can nip it pretty easily. it's also killer for re-amping in the studio (as well as just tracking with, pssh)
    apollo 7, to me, feels more like an overdrive effect, which isn't a bad thing. tube screamers and rats strike me as effects and i love them to death. i think some would say there is more "gain" on tap with the apollo, but i would say there's more "saturation". that said, when pulling the diodes, it's loud as hell and interacts with your amp in really pleasing ways. at any rate, for me, it's the kind of thing i'd "kick on" where the polaris is something i would "leave on" and that's the big difference for me personally.
    i'm sure someone else may have a bit more of a concrete comparison, but i'm kind of a spacy dude.

XeMeme, fourT5, ubenjammin2 and 6 others like this.
  16. Hot Sleeper

Hot Sleeper Member

I noticed on Reverb that the back plate of the Apollo doesn’t have Zak’s signature. Anyone catch this?

Mosley likes this.
  17. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I saw a photo of Zak with Paul.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

Mosley, friend33 and thegrobe like this.
  18. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Zak buried Paul.

Mosley, friend33 and Flatscan like this.
  19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Some unknown onlooker had reportedly just handed Zak a note with an infinitely repeating message:

"Turn me on Spaceman."

Mosley, friend33, Narwhal0514 and 2 others like this.
  20. johnetone

johnetone Member

That's two brand new members weighing in on Spaceman during this Secret Mission > release. What gives?

I think that if Zak didn't participate in the building or inspection he wouldn't have his name on it. Which makes sense as he grows the company and has more space elves doing the assembly and such. I do think his signature carries some weight. But as we kinda are starting to see, Morgan has been doing so much of the last few years of releases, his signature is just as (if not more) noteworthy at this point.

Are there Trolls in Space?