Spaceman Secret Mission VIII / Gemini IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Why demo sounds when you can demo hype?

2. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

Do it! :)

Did that help? :D

sanfi4u and relix63 like this.
  3. DaveLizmi

DaveLizmi Member

That’s exactly what my mother used to always say when I was a coming up! :p

splatt and anxiousmofo like this.
  4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hey! don’t ruin my relief!
    lol.

Flatscan, friend33, DaveLizmi and 2 others like this.
  5. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

The main reason I’m stoked getting the Gemini again is one specific setup I used to use with my Gemini III before I sold it...I liked running it after my outboard spring reverb tank with the tone rolled back on my bridge pickup for a super boomy and heavy as hell sound. That was really the main way I used the Gemini, the Sputnik really instantly became my main fuzz when it came out, I felt like it got more far out and weird fuzz tones, where the Gemini was more traditional kind of heavy fuzz...so I sold mine when i needed some money (sold it for waaaaay less than they go for now :jo) and I’ve missed it for years! But yeah, about the buffer thing, I used to run it after reverb, so it probably works after buffers :dunno We’ll see because I just got my shipping notice for a black version :dude

6. quietmind

quietmind Member

Black one arrived today, thanks Coast Sonic! Cant beat free one day delivery!
    I’m not one to get lengthy with descriptions but I think this fuzz is great. I really liked the ability to blend the circuits. I kept finding settings I loved. At $299 its a no brainer for me. Fuzz isnt’t for everybody but I think a lot of people will really enjoy this release.

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Note to self: Next time, buy from a dealer, not direct.

8. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I am excitedly continuing to await a shipment notice! International, simplest edition - expecting to be among the last to receive one.

Also looking forward to hearing some captured improvisations from the good folks herein. Plugging in and turning on and playing. I’ll be listening after I get mine.

9. Johnms4

Johnms4 Member

Saw some posts about buffers, and think my post about them got lost in the shuffle, but would say that it(Gemini IV) definitely needs to be in front of the buffer. Guess it could depend on the buffer, but with an Analogman Buffer it doesn't really interact well in front of it(Gemini IV) to me (edited for wording twice). Though a buffer does seem to work well in front of the Gemini III.

Also, got a shipping notice last night on the Copper one I was able to snag, so that should be here tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mosley, joobajooba and flyingmusicman like this.
  10. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Shipping notice received. Chrome incoming Monday. I won’t be home to play it till then anyway so works out for me.

flyingmusicman likes this.
  11. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

If you could have a fresh demo what would you want to hear? I've heard sustained chords for bloom and artifacts, using a squeaky clean amp, and rolling back the volume knob for cleanup and subtleties so far.

12. XeMeme

XeMeme Silver Supporting Member

Huh, a lot of people are talking about shipping notices. I bought mine (red) within the first 30-40 mins they went on sale and I haven't received any shipping notifications. :confused

Maybe he forgot about me, resold the one I ordered, and he offers me a special Olive Drab version...

Erswell and johnetone like this.
  13. urQuill

I’ve got a shipping notice, too! I’m away at work until the 21st ... it might be there when I get home!
    !!
    !!!
    (but no hoodie) (which is probably for the best)

friend33 and flyingmusicman like this.
  14. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Me too; I got a red one, right away. Maybe Spaceman hasn't shipped the red ones to their direct customers yet, and the people who have shipping notices for red ones bought through a distributor?

15. johnetone

johnetone Member

I think I just want to hear your favorite 2 or 3 settings so far in your rig and have you jam some riffs and maybe some more legato notes through it. also, it would be cool to hear it paired with a boost before it, and possibly a phaser or reverb after it!

16. urQuill

ya, what @johnetone said - just some playing. It’s nice to hear the ideas that different pedals give to players, how we phrase ideas in and around the sounds. It really just comes down to that.

I know there were long discussions about “not-demos” or “non-demos” or “anti-demos” in the Strictly Fuzz thread, some time ago ... just about just play with pedals. justly.

flyingmusicman and johnetone like this.
  17. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

I emailed Zak last night asking about the input impedance and he told me it is 1 megaohm, which should be sufficiently high to take a buffer in front. Also having thought about the fact that the Gemini is two fuzzes in parallel, it's highly likely that there is a buffer circuit to allow both to be driven and mixed properly (buffer would be after the switch to keep the pedal true bypass). Without a buffer in there, the input impedance certainly wouldn't be so high either.

Meriphew, friend33, urQuill and 4 others like this.
  18. theyre coming theyre coming

theyre coming theyre coming Supporting Member

You millennials and your iPod shuffle’s and your amazon prime day concerts and your almost immediate shipping notices. Back in my day, you bought a spaceman pedal with an advertised couple week wait time, waited for months past that, sent emails to get info, got no responses to any inquiries, read posts about people fighting for their money back after constant delays, and would finally get it- after you’d sworn off spaceman for good.

I can’t remember what pedal bested my Gemini iii back the -pretty sure it was a bone machine, which had better ge and si tones, as far as I was concerned- although you couldn’t blend them...but I could always stack two fuzzes if I wanted to- and I could/can get two bone machines for the price of the Gemini iii. The Gemini iii got lost in the mix more than I cared for. Didn’t seem worth the $800 I sold it for (although it’s badass looks alone made it hard to sell, even for that price).

But, for $299 it’s worth another listen- and the Iv seems more tweakable than the iii. It will be interesting to see how the Gemini iii’s prices do after this release. The mercury and Sputniks didn’t really seem to affect the og’s prices much, but those two weren’t really any sort of improvement over the originals- basically the same pedals with bigger knobs and enclosures- why anyone would pay $1000+ for a mercury iii when they can get a $300 mercury iv is beyond me. This one looks actually better than the original, as far as features- can’t speak for the tones yet- could sound like **** dumping out of an ass (Not that it would, but who knows?)

Meriphew, friend33, relix63 and 3 others like this.
  19. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

So you want me to assemble the fleet... alright.

Cool, I can weedle-dee and chugga-chugga!

Might take until the weekend because tomorrow is going to be a long day, but I'm up for a mission.
    :banana

20. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I bought a red one direct within the first minute they were on sale. Mine shipped yesterday.

friend33 and flyingmusicman like this.