Spaceman Secret Mission VIII / Gemini IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

It's funny because it's true. There are also the people who will immediately try to get Gemini III prices out of them as soon as Spaceman sells out.

friend33, johnetone, Mosley and 4 others like this.
  2. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

That will end up being me but I think I'll be selling #1 on Ebay. :hide2

johnetone likes this.
  3. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I'm still on the fence about purchasing a FOMO-protection plan (black edition) direct. I'm nervous that all those emporium ads and reverb sales will be marked up past the original $299 once its out of stock on the Spaceman site...

Looks like a few people are selling theirs already (saw a used red one go by this morning on Reverb) and then @relix63 here who I think falls in the "not a fuzz guy" camp.

Any more input from people who received one yesterday (or today)?

Flatscan likes this.
  4. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I mentioned selling only as a joke. I'm liking it so far and hope it will be a keeper. This one is a little more useable for us on the fence fuzz guys.

urQuill, Flatscan and Tabor like this.
  5. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I have a white one that came yesterday. It is a good fuzz, but I am not digging the germanium side as much I would have liked. I feel like between my DAM fuzzes and my silicon-based Skreddy I have all bases covered. I prefer germanium fuzzes that clean up with the guitar's volume.

Peps, Flatscan and Tabor like this.
  6. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Oh I see... it does seem to have a lot of options for choosing your own fuzz adventure so if you aren't quite crazy about fuzz maybe you can find something more straightforward in there.

As a fuzz-cautious player you aren't finding it has too much gain (clipping)? Can you get lower gain fuzz sounds without backing off your volume or is the range more like high gain throughout the sweep?

I'm still curious just how wild it does / doesn't get with that phase switch up. Seems brighter and more crumbly; that's really the decay I'm most interested in...

So what does the GE side do when you roll off? Just slightly less gain or does the decay sputter more?

Flatscan and mydogisarobot like this.
  7. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

My chrome Gem IV landed this morning, and it’s stunning! I think this might be my favorite SM ever, aesthetically.

I spent about an hour turning knobs and trying it out with a few different guitars, and it’s every bit as amazing as I had hoped! I have it next to a Gem III, so I was able to A/B them at similar settings, which was a blast! I can do a more thorough comparison between the two if anyone is interested, but overall I’d say the IV has a much wider spectrum of fuzziness, even getting sputtery and starved on some Ge settings. This one is definitely capable of some wilder sounds! Loving it so far!

VooDooClown, Ardour, urQuill and 6 others like this.
  8. Blue-moon

Sputters out a little. Never fully cleans up.

9. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

Just got mine today, and I gotta say, the Gemini IV absolutely destroys the Gemini III in my opinion. It does everything I loved about the Gemini III and waaaay more. My Sputnik is still gonna be my main fuzz, as the Sputnik sound is definitely different from the Gemini germanium fuzz tone, and the Sputnik does more vintage fuzz style sounds, cleans up nicely etc. (the Gemini does not)...but this new Gemini does amazingly heavy, thick fuzz, and it’s definitely a keeper for me. I think people looking at it as the end-all ultimate fuzz may be disappointed, since it really doesn’t do the 60s sounding, groovy type of fuzz sounds, it’s more about heavy fuzz styles, and it can’t do the volume knob clean up...but if you dig heavy fuzz sounds, this thing is awesome.

AXXA, urQuill, joobajooba and 8 others like this.
  10. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

Totally agree—it’s heavier, thicker, and more monstrous. I still like the silky and woody timbre of the III (the IV sounds brassier to my ears), so maybe I’ll just keep both on my board :)

The only problem I foresee is putting velcro on this thing. It kinda feels like hanging the Mona Lisa with duct tape...

urQuill, friend33, johnetone and 5 others like this.
  11. Blue-moon

That's an easy fix..it's the same base plate as the KOT. Easy to locate.

johnetone, cbm, Tabor and 1 other person like this.
  12. Blue-moon

I tend to graviate to more vintage sounding fuzzes or musical fuzzes (like a muff or mini bone). This pedal is really raw sounding. I think you comment is right on--this is not the fuzz for people looking for something that covers all their fuzz bases. It is unique. It is mean. It is raw and it gives up really early....even if you have the gain on zero you are generating noise.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    friend33, johnetone, Tabor and 4 others like this.
  13. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Ha ha ha. I for one have Dual'Loked all the Spaceman pedals I use on a board with any regularity, including for example a copper Aphelion. But some of the real purty ones, like the chrome Voyager & Nebula... I just can't bring myself to do it.

Mosley, johnetone and Narwhal0514 like this.
  14. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Why not Gaffers tape first and then velcro onto that? Seems it'd be pretty durable and avoid the residue.

15. cbm

My philosophy is that if I'm not willing to slap Dual Lock on a pedal, I shouldn't buy it. I have Dual Lock on Kingsley, Spaceman, and Trombetta pedals, FWIW.

That said, I did steal a bottom off of anther pedal to use in place of the lovely nebula Nebula bottom. I ended up caving, and putting Dual Lock on the Nebula bottom, eventually.

16. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

All of my Spacemans are Velcroed so they don’t float away and get sucked into a black hole. (It’s a super PITA to get them out of there, trust me...) o_O

17. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

Yeah I agree, the red one is my favorite of all the versions. Too bad I missed out.

Crossing fingers hoping he releases a 2nd batch.

18. cbm

If history is any guide, if there are more released they will be in new finishes, with each new finish in their own finite batch.

They have done a lot of great finishes over the years, though, so while there will almost certainly be no more of this red, there could be some other great finishes down the road a bit.

friend33 and Tabor like this.
  19. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Here's my demo for this glorious beast.

20. cbm

Best demo yet. Any demo with Devo in it is all right in my book.