Spaceman Secret Mission VIII / Gemini IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I’m more of a humbucker guy, but I’m finding the Gemini IV really shines with single coils.

Please excuse the cheesy captions

AXXA, VooDooClown, friend33 and 8 others like this.
  2. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

Shipped!

Now let's wait for it to cross the border and land in my hands...

flyingmusicman likes this.
  3. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

That is just devastating. You should start a GoFundMe page.

succor, jm9239 and johnetone like this.
  4. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Thankfully, there is no need. Just before I was about to die I got a tracking number for my parcel.

VooDooClown, fitzo, friend33 and 2 others like this.
  5. theyre coming theyre coming

theyre coming theyre coming Supporting Member

Ac128’s, as used in the Gemini iii are not hard to come by. The “scarcity” is marketing. All the folks using the nos trannies to try to be accurate to the vintage pedals prime example- the nkt275’s, white jacket oc81d’s etc, nkt213/214’s, ti 2g381’s- those are harder and harder to come by, but all those circuits do fine when builders just sub in transistors with similar, or even the same characteristics- so even those have a good deal of “hype.” There is enough variance in the tone of all the pedals that two different oc81d white jacket mkii tonebenders could sound just as different as on oc81d and an oc75 mkii.

It’s awesome that spaceman comes up with their own circuits and some fun, unique fuzz. And, especially now that they seem to have their releases under control, I love the way they do small batches, and then move on to something else. It makes them fun to collect! Plus, they are well built and bad ass to look at. There is a fair a bit of marketing involved, as well, for example-giving the impression that the petals are made in small batches because the parts are scarce.

ubenjammin2, PSQRCL, friend33 and 8 others like this.
  6. Gallery

Sitting at work thinking about the beautiful noise I made last night with the Gemini and counting the minutes until I can get home again and see that pilot light glow again. Looking forward to recording it in a mix.

7. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

The voice of reason. Thank you for helping to focus on the important stuff. I feel better.

:beer

8. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Nice board!

friend33 likes this.
  9. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

Fair enough. I’ll defer to your knowledge on transistors. I’m not a purist; I have no doubt a talented builder with a good ear can sub in more common transistors for rare NOS ones and make them sound similar.

However, there are indeed sonic differences between the III and IV. Maybe he just wanted something slight different—who knows? I just happen to prefer the smoothness and sensitivity of the III for certain applications.

johnetone and Tabor like this.
  10. Gallery

Thanks, but I just threw that together for the purpose of test driving the Gemini and comparing it to a Muff and Fuzz Face. I was using that as a compact board for cover band stuff, but recently moved to a Pedaltrain Classic Jr for more room and easier transportation. I think this Groundswell board will now be used primarily for desk and amp top test driving and educational sessions rather than bending over constantly to tweak settings.

johnetone and hippieboy like this.
  11. Gallery

I'm sure Gemini III owners will be happy to hear that. I would think that slight difference will be inevitable any time you change a circuit by adding more tone sculpting controls regardless of the components used.

friend33 and Narwhal0514 like this.
  12. Narwhal0514

Narwhal0514 Member

Exactly. The IV is absolutely glorious. It’s just... slightly but noticeably different in its base tones. Neither good nor bad.

friend33 and Gallery like this.
  13. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Supporting Member

Blue Starlight #44 is here. Still waiting on shipping confirmation direct from Spaceman on silver.

14. Gallery

Only 2 sold in the past 24 hours.

87 Remaining

48 Black
    39 Silver

At this rate they should be available for more than a month. You would think that if popularity has driven the price of a Gemini III up to a grand there would be enough demand for the IV to sell out quicker. I guess he did a pretty good job forecasting the market demand with this batch.

johnetone likes this.
  15. theyre coming theyre coming

theyre coming theyre coming Supporting Member

I’m sure there are differences- it would be a bummer to spend that much on two different pedals and have them be exactly the same. I never tried the Sputnik II or Mercury iv to compare either. I’ve got two Gemini iv’s sitting on my mail desk that I haven’t had a chance to open and play yet- but I’m sure even they sound different from each other- that’s what makes analog effects so great. I’ve compared countless circuits with the same transistors and different transistors- for example- fuzz faces, tone Benders, etc to try to find the prime example (to my ear) and add them to my collection (because collecting fuzz and delays are the most fun). There were times when I had 2 or 3, or 4 Saturn v’s, Sputniks or aphelions at the same time back when I was hella into spaceman and everyone of them sounded a little different- sometimes so different that it the thought crossed my mind that I should keep multiple- but gas gets you and something ends up going.

Anyways- I wasn’t saying your Gemini iii and iv didn’t sound different- it just gets my attention when people fall for the “scarce nos transistor” nonsense.

And yes- the point of this post is that you all think your Sputnik/Gemini/etc sounds great- but it could be the worst example of the pedal. You just won’t know until you get 3 or 4 of each of them to compare ;)

Also- speaking of oc81d’s...

https://reverb.com/item/26244798-pigdog-oc81d-tonebender-mk2-mkii-vintage-white

Yowza!

16. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Member

There’s a red one(#18) on Reverb, listed at (gasp) $600.

flyingmusicman and Gallery like this.
  17. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

i bought one of the two. A black one on Reverb from France

friend33, flyingmusicman and Gallery like this.
  18. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

19. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

And 2 of the blue ones for $329 each. Wonder which will sell first.

20. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Supporting Member

Holy smokes!

Wired this board up pretty quick and just spent an hour or so with it! I previously had the Spaceman Aphelion and just didn't get it. I got this one right away, like within the first minute of turning it on. It's way more harmonically rich than other fizzes I've tried. And if it wasn't good enough on it's own, I ran it with my Green Rhino going into it and a bit of delay on the end and I melted my own face off. I love this pedal.

Again, I didn't get it before. I get it now. Maybe it's just the Gemini circuit that I have never tried before, but now I get it. I take back all the jumping the shark comments I made about Spaceman. I can't wait for the silver to get here, because I've got a trade lined up for the Explorer to try next.

I'm not trying to over hype this. I've been critical of Spaceman, and the Gemini was the ONLY pedal that would have got me to purchase. I'm literally blown away.

[​IMG]