Spaceman Secret Mission VIII / Gemini IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. obviousb

obviousb Member

I received shipping notice on Friday, scheduled to arrive tomorrow....
    I’ll report back following investigation...

friend33, johnetone, Mosley and 2 others like this.
  2. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

I just got mine - the center top knob gets totally gated when turned fully counter clockwise - nice!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Stoked! Transformer, Ge AND Si?!?!?? Oh, baby, you're so vicious!

hippieboy, johnetone and Flatscan like this.
  4. obviousb

obviousb Member

Did anyone notice the output is stereo? Perhaps I am wrong, but the output jack is definitely trs style instead of the jack/sleeve ts style.

5. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

I haven't opened mine up yet - is the jack wired for stereo?

6. mydogisarobot

mydogisarobot Member

johnetone and obviousb like this.
  7. obviousb

obviousb Member

8. misa

misa Supporting Member

Looks like it is actually the input jack from the guts photo (left on guts means right input jack when looking at the top of pedal), so yeah, pretty typical for deactivating the battery.

9. Johnms4

Johnms4 Member

Came in today, and have been messing around with it tonight alongside a Gemini III for comparison. In my opinion it is in the same ballpark as the Gemini III with knobs instead of switches for the independent gains for both sides, and independent tones for both sides of the Ge/Si blend. Best guess for the Switch is that it is similar to the Filter Switch on the Gemini III. The tone controls are similar to the Filter switch there, and the Tone on the Aphelion (if I remember that tone control correctly) where noon on it has the most treble. Really am liking the sounds out of it though. Picture attached to show how I'm interpreting it, and think the Clockwise on the Center Top Knob is Ge because it cleans up better than Full Counter. Edit: Switch seems to have the most effect when the Blend/Top Center Knob is Straight Down - makes it somewhat Octave-y sounding, at least to me

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  10. johnetone

johnetone Member

Dude. That’s pretty rad! I’m really looking forward to hearing this thing. It’s definitely looking like my next fuzz!

11. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

"Never Miss A Secret Mission"

Flatscan and VooDooClown like this.
  13. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

Ok. Setting funds aside starting ... well, already started.

Really appreciating the reports. Any clips?

14. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

15. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I've ended up selling every Spaceman pedal I've purchased, but this one might lure me back in.

johnetone likes this.
  16. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I’ve sold several, but only because i felt i couldn’t afford to keep them. Love the designs and sounds, though, and the GemIII has remained my favourite Spaceman fuzz yet and one of my favourites ever. I remember when one came to visit, I could hardly believe how well the controls worked and how interesting and detailed the sounds were. The thing is just too rare, though, and hoping muchly this is a new version, like’s been done with the Mercury and Sputnik.

17. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Welllllll... I just played through my SMVIII for the first time and I'm very happy! Very useful sounds throughout the range of knob twists and combinations I tried, which is what I expect with Spaceman stuff. The germanium sounds like a nice warm GE fuzz and the silicon gets very splatty if you want starved gated tones. I agree with @Johnms4 as far as the labels are concerned. The filter switch seems like low pass down, high pass up, and the difference is very obvious. The gain knob for the silicon side is cool because you can get really cutting and aggressive or so splatty that you'll think something is broken. This really becomes interesting when you blend in the germanium side because you can get a nice blend, like splatty SI and warm GE, and then dial in exactly the ratio you want... or, the reverse of that! I've only played the VIII through a 5E3 and Custom 22 so far because those were the closest to me. The cleanup is really nice and I was able to dial in a pretty clean clean-tone with the volume knob while leaving the pedal set to shred. This is a very finely tuned fuzz. I almost rushed a quick video, but realized some aimless noodling wouldn't be the best thing to put out there. I may put something together that shows off the VIII (which I assume will be released as the Gemini IV) and also compares it to the Sputnik, Spacerocket, Titan, and Wow... if anyone would be interested in that sort of thing.

18. johnetone

johnetone Member

As a matter of fact, I couldn’t be more interested! Great write up. I am now ready for liftoff!

friend33, urQuill and flyingmusicman like this.
  19. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Sounds cool. Looks like I’ll be buying another fuzz I don’t need and don’t have room for on the board. Lol

bundtcakehorn, Jerrod, Mosley and 5 others like this.
  20. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Yeah. Me too. <sigh>