Spaceman Secret Mission VIII / Gemini IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jun 11, 2019.

1. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

This is TGP, it's all about aimless noodling here. :bong

2. misa

misa Supporting Member

It's coming :crazy

3. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

It seems like the time between this secret mission and the launch is peculiarly short.

friend33 and flyingmusicman like this.
  4. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

The last opera I wrote was actually called The Aimless Noodle. It was about an unmotivated piece of pasta trying to rise above his humble durum beginnings, and be accepted by semolina society. I used three Spaceman fuzzes in series for the opening melody.

Supergome, tonewoody, Ardour and 5 others like this.
  5. misa

misa Supporting Member

Looking back at the older threads, Secret Mission VI started June 25 and the Nebula was out July 11

johnetone and Flatscan like this.
  6. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I suspected that Zak's drop of a group of one-offs on Reverb coinciding closely with the sale of the SMVIIIs was needed to get the SMVIIIs out the door and to finish up the first round of production models.

Tabor likes this.
  7. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

I always like popping in these threads to see the guys who swore they’d never buy spaceman again all hyped on buying spaceman again

quietmind and johnetone like this.
  8. jruano

jruano Member

So what is this going to be?... haven't followed it closely

9. jruano

jruano Member

Oh... another fuzz. Figures.

10. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

So this blendability is accomplished by one of the knobs?

If so then this fuzz definitely has my attention. I might even buy direct if there are some of the standard silvers available.

11. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

He hasn’t made a single bad fuzz so far and they’ve all been different. I’m really excited to see what this one is going to be.

12. jruano

jruano Member

Well, I would know. I've several of them. But at what point does this become :horse?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  13. Johnms4

Johnms4 Member

Yeah, the Middle Top knob goes Ge at full Clockwise to Blend of Ge/Si at downwards middle, and Si at full Counter Clockwise. So, it is exactly the same as how the Gemini III's blend knob works. If I had to guess he revised/updated the Gemini III circuit for the 10th Anniversary of Spaceman.

Also, as for the short time between the Secret Mission, and proper release, the inside base plate has a date of May 8th on the Secret Mission. So, definitely looks like he had it done for a bit, and was just tweaking things on it/testing. Though he could have just done the base plate dating at the start.

flyingmusicman, Tabor and friend33 like this.
  14. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

By what logic would you conclude that the world has enough fuzz?

DaveLizmi, saitama, johnetone and 4 others like this.
  15. jruano

jruano Member

Spaceman Effects for sure does.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  16. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Thanks! That seems like a really cool feature. I know this secret mission didn’t have an EXP port but I’m going to keep my fingers crossed for EXP control over that blend on the full release.

17. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Yes. You can dial in the gain or the GE side and separately the SI side, then choose either side or blend the two together via a knob (vs a switch).

johnetone and Tabor like this.
  18. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Looking at his Instagram the in/out jacks and power jack look the same, but sweeping through the range via expression probably wouldn't be that useful to be honest. Expression over gain would be interesting to modulate splat to fat, but also probably of limited real world use. I wouldn't describe this as a freaky deaky out there random tones kind of fuzz; I would describe it as two very solid fuzzes in one box with the unique ability to control their gains independently and blend them together. I would say that this is a very useful and practical fuzz that does something a little different compared to the other hybrid options out there.

All that said, I'd really like to get one of my Wows modded.

Actually, you could probably put this in the loop of the mission control and use the LFO to modulate from clean to fuzzed out by modulating the input signal... I think I'll go try that and see...

mydogisarobot and Tabor like this.
  19. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

I see. So it sounds like the SI side gets a bit splatty but not too extreme; more like a change it texture than a full on crumbly, gated falling-apart kind of sound (?).

20. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

Oh no, it gets crumbly AF. Actually I thought my cable was crapping out until I realized what the knob did and that my cables were in fact fine and I needed to turn the knob back up. If crumbly to searing would work for your music then I can understand why you'd want the blend or gain modulatable. But yeah, don't worry, it gets unusably crumbly if you want.