Spaceman SM suspense/speculation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PorkChop, Mar 9, 2020.

1. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

So, what's so great about this envelope filter again? Are there any unique abilities vs the sea of available options around, or do people just expect to be wowed by the tones of Spaceman? I'm more of a tone-guy than an options-guy, and haven't ever felt any reason to be swayed from my Mutron 3x.

I'll definitely be getting a Sputnik III or whatever it will be called, then I'll either sell it, or keep it and sell my II.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty Spacemanny lately, wearing this stylish PAPR for an exponentially expanding number of patients every day. Maybe Zak will release a special edition COVID-19 finish, with a graphic of Spaceman wearing one?

[​IMG]

Not Orange, zztomato, urQuill and 9 others like this.
  2. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all you and your colleagues are doing @pup tentacle.

3. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip Gold Supporting Member

I have the envelope filter, and I don’t really see this filter making you decide to part with a MuTron, but since this was priced at $279 (and I assume the production run will land in that ballpark), I think the goal of this design is to deliver a similarly rich MuTron-like tone with the added benefit of an expression control input, along with high end build quality/reliability at a fair (boutique) price point. I don’t think it’s going to be particularly groundbreaking, but I don’t think anyone who purchases one of these knowing it’s an envelope filter will be disappointed at all...it definitely delivers for what it is. I can’t imagine ever needing to look for a better envelope filter now that I have this one! I think it’s going to be a pedal that will be some people’s favorite pedal, but an envelope filter isn’t one of those pedals every guitarist wants to incorporate into their sound.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    XeMeme, Flatscan, friend33 and 4 others like this.
  4. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease, make a clip?

5. Mosley

Hahaha right on, I’ll definitely try to record something with it man, but honestly I’ve just been really struggling with inspiration and creativity in general with all this coronavirus madness.

XeMeme, Flatscan, msnes335 and 2 others like this.
  6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

no, no! you've got it all wrong: that's what creativity is MEANT to HELP! all you need to do is pick up the damned guitar, plug it all in & go! take those 2 easy steps to some kinda perspectival relief, please.
    recording, or not.

7. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be song, play a scale. Everyone just wants to hear what the filter sounds like already - preferably before they go on sale.

8. Mosley

So I made a short song with the envelope filter. I used a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster with a Spaceman Orion reverb running into the Secret Mission Envelope Filter (plus a few minor accent notes on an electric sitar) recorded direct (with a few tape emulation plug-ins). The main rhythm/bass line is using the low pass filter, the leads are the mid pass filter, and the transitional chords use the high pass filter. I didn’t use an expression pedal, the movement of the filter is all from the internal envelope control. Also, I kept the resonance settings low (never went past halfway on the knob).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Blue Bee, Reyybarra, barrym and 20 others like this.
  9. ubenjammin2

ubenjammin2 Member

This sounds sooo good man. Just oozing with style! I am so excited about this envelope filter. Can't wait to hook this thing up to my Mission Control.

urQuill, Flatscan and Mosley like this.
  10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

nice!
    thank you.

Flatscan and Mosley like this.
  11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

Effin Aye. Again, Splatt is dead on.
    When I think that times are "too hard" to be creative, I remember those days in the mid-70s in NYC, when the Bronx was on fire, crime was off the chain (pun intended), civic services were in shambles and the population was leaving in droves. Out of this, or because of this, came that last golden era of NYC music - the conflagration of punk, no wave, hip hop, salsa, indie guerilla cinema, visual art, and all to the rhythmic clanging of the graffiti filled subway cars. The times are well documented - folks lived in abandoned buildings, and lived to make art.

Nothing provokes art like desperation.

12. One_claw_hammer

One_claw_hammer Member

I haven't read this whole thread... Has anyone with the SM X [Sputnik III] tried holding down the left footswitch and then plugging it in? That changes it from latching to momentary, making the Drift Mode 100% pure awesome!

Cormorant_, friend33, fourT5 and 4 others like this.
  13. XeMeme

XeMeme Member

Dang.... I haven't tried that yet. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

One_claw_hammer likes this.
  14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Now that the April Fool’s whale queef pedal is out of the way, maybe the production versions of the SM’s are headed our way soon... :D

I’m jonesing for that Sputnik III, man....

15. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

My gosh, it just sounds beautiful and you are using it beautifully. Wow. Really great clip. Haven't been paying super close attention lately but I did catch that there are two new ones coming and one is an envelope filter and having had a little contact time with the filter on the Polaris, which to my humble ear seems a pretty special filter - I wondered what the envelope filter might be like and the question has been answered, yes yes it has, and the answer is, it sounds good. Very good. Sorry about that, haven't written a sentence in a while. Ok! Anyway thanks!

16. One_claw_hammer

One_claw_hammer Member

I tried doing the same by holding down the bypass switch and powering up the SM X Envelope Filter just to see what happens... That disables the pedal completely.

Mosley likes this.
  17. Mosley

Bummer, that would’ve been a cool feature if it had a momentary function.

One_claw_hammer likes this.
  18. One_claw_hammer

One_claw_hammer Member

100% Agreed!
    What would have been extra cool is if the momentary Drift feature on the SMX Sputnik III functioned in bypass as well as when the pedal is engaged. It doesn't, but from a conversation I had w/ Steve Demedash, It easily could. THAT would be super dope! (Steve makes the T-120 and on his Deluxe, the momentary swell functions in bypass as well as when the pedal is engaged which is an amazing feature)
    I know some want clips of the SM X envelope filter... I've loaded one up on my Instagram page for anyone interested...

johnetone, XeMeme, friend33 and 4 others like this.
  19. tmd187

tmd187 Supporting Member

How do I insert a video clip because I got a bunch of Mission X Env. Filter Gopro videos to upload? I suck at getting picture up much less a video. Can it be from Youtube?

johnetone likes this.
  20. Mosley

@tmd187 yeah YouTube will work totally fine, just click the button that looks like a film strip and it brings up a window where you can paste the link

tmd187 likes this.