Spacemen 3

jgyn

I have the Roland Howard pedal, the non handmade one. It's like a vintage MXR Blue Box before a " " Distortion +, each selectable or combined.

S. F. Sorrow

If you are looking for a somewhat cheaper 'repeater' (spiky tremolo) effect, the Shape Shifter does it well.
Also the 'pulse' setting on 'pattern tremolo' of the Mobius does it too - but that ain't cheap.

APike

Never got to see Spacemen 3 but they are one of the most influential bands for me.

I have both the Acid Fuzz pedal and the Reuss. I bought the Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom after seeing Christian Bland from Black Angels using it live. It's my favorite of all my pedals. I've had the Earthquaker hummingbird, which does the repeater effect, but it's not loud enough, ticks, and neither pedals have the speed range and controls over the sound like the Acid Fuzz. The Reuss is cheaper, and sounds like it. I thought it would be a good pedal for live use and have the same boutique quality and sound, but it looks and sounds like it was made in China.

The Sonic Boom has a lot of tweakability. It's got like 12 controls, expression pedal jack and repeater fast/slow mode jack, so I emailed Acid Fuzz for the manual, but they don't have one. They did tell me it was designed with Pete Kember so it has all the original transistors and the circuits are true to the original vox starstream guitar he played with Spacemen 3.

Custom Deluxe

Love, love, love Spacemen 3 and all of Jason's and Sonic's related after projects.

I went to school at Albright College in the early '90's. My buddy and I started booking concerts at the school. We had Spectrum come one Friday night before a gig they were doing in Philly. There was about 10 people there.

Sonic signed all of our Spacemen 3/Spectrum/E.A.R. stuff. The entire set was Spacemen 3 tunes. It was killer.

He drove the sound guy nuts. He took 45 minutes just to get the echo on his vocals right.

He was a cool guy and liked to talk music and gear. A true original.

Z*Z*Z

Great band - love all their releases, and also Loop, Darkside, EAR, Spectrum & Spiritualized... Everything J Spaceman & Sonic Boom did is made of pure gold

Hallogallo

Bumping this back to life.

Anyone else have anything to report about the Reuss Fuzz Tremolo?

Last edited:

jgyn

Awesome!
Please let us know what you think.
I'm thinking about getting one myself.
So far, it's the Spacemen 3 'Repeater' sound. The fuzz is thicker and more saturated than I expected- it blooms like a mushroom cloud. The repeater is a hard, clattering effect that dices up the the fuzz into sputtering ice cubes.

Hallogallo

So far, it's the Spacemen 3 'Repeater' sound. The fuzz is thicker and more saturated than I expected- it blooms like a mushroom cloud. The repeater is a hard, clattering effect that dices up the the fuzz into sputtering ice cubes.

Thanks!

Gonna have to get one of these.