Spam City from the Builders

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by big mike, Sep 26, 2017.

1. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Knock it off! :p

Guys, answering 'what's the best, or where can I get a ..' with

Me,
    We do that.
    Hit me up,
    I'm happy to work with you.

etc.

Any type of self promotion is no bueno.
    Against the spam rules.
    I'm sure if you do good stuff (and most do!) a customer will drop your name in the conversation.
    But STOP SPAMMING.

Feel free to answer DIRECT questions about your brand, or correct missinformation ONLY.

It's warning able.
    Infractionable.
    SUSPENDABLE.

And no, it's not open for debate, discussion, etc. It's the rules, and it's spelled out in the link called 'terms and rules' at the bottom of every page.

pbmw, TJT79, Zappatalist and 11 others like this.
  2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Seems there are plenty of members who are more guilty than the builders themselves. Pretty obvious...

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

It wasn't a fanboy that triggered this post...pretty obvious that there was a sales guy who racked multiple posts on the above that Mike mentioned.

4. paintguy

I realize that and saw that too but there still is some pretty obvious almost spam? going on over and over by fanboys.

5. mikesch

mikesch Gold Supporting Member

The sad part is that I really want to order a guitar from that builder, but their forum and social media presence is so overbearing that it makes me feel a little gross, like I’d be buying Cutco knives or something.

84superchamp likes this.
  6. s2y

s2y Member

I'm mixed on it. An OP asked. I can name a builder just as easily as a builder can. As long as the luthier provides the guitar, is a sponsor, and isn't trying to sell them the wrong guitar, no better/worse than other members recommending something. I'd see a problem from builders that don't deliver or try to sell ya a relic'd Tele when you're looking for an archtop.

Jim965 likes this.
  7. big mike

There's no rule against being a fanboy. If there were this forum would be crickets. You yourself have been over the top about certain builders. Amps, Guitars etc. As I have, and many others.
    Post a 'what's the best' and you get 85 responses of folks that dig a certain builder or 4 and that's part of the fun.

I don't make the rules. I only am here to enforce those put in place by the admins.
    Dealers and vendors pumping their wares has been against the rules from day one. If it doesn't get reported, then it's a copy cat ' but he did it first!' rash of posts.
    Rules are clear.

As I said, it's really not open for discussion. This is a friendly reminder that's all.

guitrr, katuna, twinrider1 and 3 others like this.
  8. big mike

That's exactly what happens. THen it becomes a spam fest, and no real information is exchanged. IMO.
    I've recommended/brought up guitars I Don't own but respect if they fit a person's requirements.
    Just cuz someone owns multiple examples of a builders work, and really digs them, doesn't mean it's the wrong answer to the question. ;)

9. paintguy

I think maybe my point was missed but better to just let it go. Being a fanboy is not the problem.

I do believe the rules should be followed and enforced so thanks to all you guys (staff) for doing what you do.

10. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can build a spam self-referral detector for you.

Jim965, HonkyBach and burningyen like this.
  11. Jay K

Jay K Member

When I was young, Captain Kangaroo said on his show the magic words were "please" and "thank you." That left a strong impression.

12. big mike

Well please and thank you are inferred with the rules. People that ignore rules don't get the benefit of magic words.

walkthewalk, guitrr, TJT79 and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Thanks to those who help eliminate self-promotion. I know opinions vary, but I dislike the self-promotional posts very much, though I would consider an exception for forum sponsors, who help make TGP possible for us. I think the strength of this forum is that you get to her what people who purchase stuff with their own money think. I respect that others disagree, but personally, I'm grateful for the efforts to keep self-promotion off this forum. Information, great; promotion, not so much.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It seems you’re suggesting that some members are posting on behalf of businesses

Probably, but that’s pretty hard to detect. Suspicions are one thing, but how do you really tell who’s a fanboy and who’s a shill? If they could tell I’m sure they would apply the rules, it would be just part of the same effort.

15. grendel

grendel Member

"It seems you’re suggesting that some members are posting on behalf of businesses" - this definitely happens IMHO, perhaps on this site even. Social media and forums are ripe with this kind of behavior, and it's ney impossible to "prove". This forum is not alone in that by any means, it's called "astroturfing" which refers to building "fake" grass roots fan base support. The scale of it on this site is probably small, I doubt any small companies have a large budget for it, but even small companies can hire a PR or SEO firm who then do this on their behalf.. maybe with the actual company unaware of what is actually happening.
    It is corrosive, and has eroded trust. Hopefully honesty and integrity prevail.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Terry McInturff likes this.
  16. big mike

THIS INCLUDES POSTING YOUR GO FUND ME, kick starters,, 'auctions'. REVIEWS, etc.

DONT SPAM.

thank you. :)