• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Spanish cedar

DamianP

As close to identical guitars as you can get except for the body wood. One Mahogany, one Spanish Cedar:

beorn

As close to identical guitars as you can get except for the body wood. One Mahogany, one Spanish Cedar:

Those Probetts have some of the most bangin' LP tones ever. Granted Mr. Lister knows what he's doing, but still.

I particularly love that lemonburst model, the LSM burst. There are two videos of it on YT also.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Doug, your guitars are the reason I'm asking.:D

I'm very intigued by them to say the least.
Well thank you! You are always welcome to give me a buzz and we can discuss. I'm a big fan of the wood obviously. One thing about the Ruokangas or even Kingsley's videos is it shows you how in the ballpark it can be tone wise but with out a pup swap (to be fair) it will only show you how close it can be.

That being said, who cares. Its a freaking amazing sounding tone wood used by people building incredible guitars. Let the guitars be their own thing and they will reward you for it.

CEDARWN3D!!!!!!!
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao Oh I this might be my next t-shirts :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao brilliance!

cnardone

I've got a McInturff Carolina with Spanish Cedar. I love the guitar. It does not have thundering lows like some LP's but it is still definitely sounds like a LP.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
re:
"sahhas.... given that scale, Pau Ferro must be like 5000..... I burned up a router bit working with that stuff.
"

OMG-10 yrs ago i wanted to have a solid rosewood neck like a klein custom guitar-i couldn't of course afford a real klein, so i went to this local place and got a piece of bocote, which is similar (don't think they could sell honduras rosewood...)...so i start working on this neck. OM-F***ing-G...it took me 3 months of working w/ a file to shape that thing.
i only could work on it about a 1/2 hr a day. i'd get too frustrated, and that was my tolerance pt...i didn't want to ruin it....after 3 months i got it to a good shape (it's chunky, 1" thick)...but it worked. had it on my headless beast for 2 yrs, then converted it into an odd semi hollow tele-thing....but, man that stuff was HARD to work w/....love the feel of it, and it looks amazing of course!!!!

Jack Briggs

Spanish Cedar is, as Doug stated, not a cedar but first cousin of genuine mahogany. It is the prime neck wood for classical guitars, so it is certainly stiff enough for that purpose.

General rule is that mahogany has a stronger bass response, Sp. cedar less so and more midrange warmth. I think Damian Probett's videos with Aynsley Lister support that.

I love Spanish cedar!! (Especially the smell - if I could fill my pillow cases with the chips.............)

Cheers,

amc

spanish cedar kauer daylighter express
exceptional warm thick mids
(the wolfetone pickups are an excellent compliment to this fine guitar)

DamianP

I`ve been cutting it all morning. As Doug says, it smells great but tastes terrible!!!

It is wonderful wood and I really like it for certain things. The only downsides for me are that it can be too light and too soft. Finding suitable stock for me is the reverse of the problem that I have with mahogany. So much is just too light.
I now have a supplier that has good stock of both, the only trouble is that it`s a 270 mile round trip. I recently made my 3rd trip in 2 months!

Jack Briggs

I`ve been cutting it all morning. As Doug says, it smells great but tastes terrible!!!

It is wonderful wood and I really like it for certain things. The only downsides for me are that it can be too light and too soft. Finding suitable stock for me is the reverse of the problem that I have with mahogany. So much is just too light.
I now have a supplier that has good stock of both, the only trouble is that it`s a 270 mile round trip. I recently made my 3rd trip in 2 months!
Damian,

If you have stuff that is too light, I'd be glad to trade my heavier for your lighter!!!

Cheers,

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Spanish Cedar is, as Doug stated, not a cedar but first cousin of genuine mahogany. It is the prime neck wood for classical guitars, so it is certainly stiff enough for that purpose.

General rule is that mahogany has a stronger bass response, Sp. cedar less so and more midrange warmth. I think Damian Probett's videos with Aynsley Lister support that.

I love Spanish cedar!! (Especially the smell - if I could fill my pillow cases with the chips.............)

Cheers,
Jack that's pretty much how I feel about it.

When I talk to my customers it works like this:

I rule out honduran right off the bat. What I can get my hands on these days is just terrible quality stuff. We used to build with African Mahogany when I first started and this is how it compares in my mind:

If you want the tightest bass response, a flatter or slightly mid-scooped tone (by comparison) then you want African. IMO/IME Korina and Limba tend to be on this end of the spectrum too.

If you want a more vintage, old wood sounding mahogany with warmer mids and just bigger sounding at both ends you want Spanish Cedar. Plus my guitars in Spanish Cedar tend to be 1-2 lbs lighter on average. SC also has a bite and sizzle (or snap) that no other mahogany I've played has.

The bass response is where you hear the difference. SC still has great, full mids its just African Mahogany's response is just a bit tighter (partially because it doesn't go quite as deep as SC imo). It almost sounds like the difference between a 24.75" and a 25.5" scale lengths.

I still keep a little african set aside for people who want a mid-scooped, "death metal rock" guitar :rotflmao

dougk

Gold Supporting Member

spanish cedar kauer daylighter express
exceptional warm thick mids
(the wolfetone pickups are an excellent compliment to this fine guitar)
Ahh you're the one who ended up with that Express! Great guitar!

rockinlespaul

I appreciate the info Doug. The prototype in the emporium is the one that has my panties in a bunch right now. It looks SOOOOO GOOD!!! God I want to try one of these!!! And complimented with a Wolfetone? Man.....it's gotta be cool!

I definetely noticed the snap to the spanish cedar.

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
I appreciate the info Doug. The prototype in the emporium is the one that has my panties in a bunch right now. It looks SOOOOO GOOD!!! God I want to try one of these!!! And complimented with a Wolfetone? Man.....it's gotta be cool!

I definetely noticed the snap to the spanish cedar.
That's a killer deal on the original prototype JR! That was my original JR and the "proof of concept/hope this works" guitar LOL. I believe that has the Wolfetone Marshallhead in it, if you snag the guitar and find its a little to hot and middy let me know, Wolfe and I brewed up a HB for our JR's that still has the balls of the Marshallhead but a little more of the open tone of our normal "Kauer-Wind" bridge.

David Myka

I have been a fan of Spanish Cedar for years now. It is a bit lighter than mahogany, as stated already, and has a nice mid-range warmth to it. This leads to a great 'classic' electric guitar tone. I have a few currently in the works that use Spanish Cedar for bodies, necks, and the neck/bent sides of a thinline archtop. I'll be able to tell you more in a couple of months. But so far I love it. Especially my MadCedar. I look forward to building more with it.

Speaking of cedar,
Have any builders built bodies incorporating Western Red Cedar (WRC)?
Any thoughts?
Too dark....too soft...too light...
I like using this wood quite a bit. Especially paired with a denser neck. It is incredibly soft and would benefit from having a veneer on the top, back, and sides if you are worried about things like keys in your pocket making dents when playing sitting down. It's that soft. But it is also extremely resonant. So much so that I felt the need to control it a bit when I used it. I put a cap of claro walnut on top and a thinner veneer on the back. Then I added a Brazilian Kingwood neck (courtesy of jamess). The tone is incredible. The detail and complexity of the rosewood drives the cedar body core for one of the most responsive and articulate guitars I have ever played. Crystalline Brazilian tones filtered through mid-range warmth produce absolutely gorgeous cleans. So much so that even high gain players find themselves forgetting to turn up. It's a real joy to play. Check it out. A real treat when played with gain as well. The clarity and sustain are so much fun.

Also, take a look at Rick Turner's M1 series. Those are WRC core as well. He was my inspiration for using it.

~David

Trending Topics

Top Bottom