Spark Booster - Best clean to low overdrive pedal?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my Spark Booster for about 3 months and I love it. It replaced an EP Booster because I can adjust the SB sound just like the EP, and so much more. You can adjust it for extra mids like a tube screamer, a totally clean boost, a fat boost and it also has a good amount of overdrive. It's also very touch sensitive and transfers my picking dynamics and volume settings directly into my tone. I haven't found another pedal that has it's versatility or that sounds better, but I know there many opinions. Is there another clean to overdrive pedal that you prefer?

Cgkindler

There's also the Giggidy. Has a great dirt sound when the loudness is cranked. Can give a plethora of sounds.

Just something to check out!

rotlung

I have a Spark Booster that I've not bonded with. I can't make it sound anything like my EP Booster. I also have a Giggity on the way.

richpjr

I go back and forth between the Spark and the EP. I like the Spark much better with humbuckers and the EP with single coils. Right now both have been bumped by the Soul Food - we'll see how long that honey moon lasts!

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Red Witch Lily for an always on clean boost, but the pedal freak in me keeps looking at the Spark Booster too. The mini version looks especially tasty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I copped a Mini yesterday. What sold me was its simplicity and transparency. I bought it to run at the END of my pedal chain to goose my Twin Reverb preamp.

dagjonas

The Spark Booster is great for adding that little extra to your clean signal. It actually replaced my FD2 Comp-cut, ajd gets me 95% of the fantastic FD2 C-C.

As for the Mini Spark, it doesn't do the same as its larger brother, but it is great a solo boost.

I've had both the EP and Giggity, and for me they don't do the Spark Booster thing at all. If that's what your looking for.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
What settings do you set the Spark at to sound like an Ep booster
Gain all the way down, switch on Fat, bass and treble both about 1:00 and then just adjust the Level knob like you would the knob on the EP.

Tim Bowen

For clean to overdrive and versatile, I'd choose Barber Gain Changer. I do have four knobber & mini Sparks. For a straight boost I prefer the mini. Bought the Spark as different flavor or possibly even replacement for my RC Booster, but it wound up on my backup board. As straight clean boost there's something in the high end about the four knobber Spark that I don't quite like as compared to the RC. The different voicings via the toggle are useful, but the huge volume/EQ jump between clean and fat or mids is too impractical for my purposes. The toggle settings on Barber Gain Changer are much easier to deal with in my rigs.

dwk302

I go back and forth between the Spark and the EP. I like the Spark much better with humbuckers and the EP with single coils. Right now both have been bumped by the Soul Food - we'll see how long that honey moon lasts!
This exactly.

jota

Love mine and I'm waiting to get the Soul Food and see if it takes it place.
I compared it to my KoT clone with the yellow side as a boost and I think the Spark sounds more open while the KoT adds some low end.
They're both great but I think in a band context the Spark is more useful.
I use it has a mid boost.