• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Spark Mini or EP Boost?

OK, I'm going to get pretty specific here. I play tells and strats and my board is set up to sound great into my Po Reverb (which it does).

I purchased a Vox ac10 and it's great all over the dial from quiet to breakup but now I need a boost for solos. Not really that interested in an OD pedal for this amp, just a boost, and I've heard and liked the EP Boost and Spark Mini.

So, if you've boosted Fender guitars into a Vox ac10 did you use and like either of these pedals? Did you hear anything you didn't like? Did you ditch one of these for something else? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
The Spark is cleaner more hi-fi and the EP will add some nice mid-range to cut thru and yes the dip switches can help!
I'd also look at a GE-7 if you have the space. I just got an XTS Modified version and it's awesome!

~ss

Jr Deluxe

A fender into a vox. That has the potential to be pretty bright. An EP boost would warm things up If you find it a problem. But it's over a hunderd bux. The mini sprk is flat and will push more gain out of the vox. I have both but dont use the EP too much. I like a bright sound. Lately for blues and roots styles I've been trying the dano texas whatever it is.

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
Other options to consider:
TS mini
Tumnus mini
Bad Bob mini
MXR mini booster

The EP is just fine for goosing a preamp.

a1briz

Gold Supporting Member
Does it have to be a mini? If so, out of those two for what you want I agree it’s the spark. But I would try to fit a regular size Spark and you have way more versatility. Sold my EP Boost. Sold my Tumnus Mini. Kept the Full size Spark.

Last edited:

nujnujnuj

for a lead boost, a tubescreamer, treble booster, or eqd arrows will do the trick. it cuts well in a band mix

Gabazz

MXR Micro amp would be my choice if I could not get an overdrive for this job. From the two pedal you mentioned I'd pick the EP booster. I'd recommend you buy used so you could sell if you do not like, because I find VOX amps to be really temperamental with pedals and guitars. Unless you get the right combination it sounds muddy or harsh.

But I would prefer to get an overdrive for lead boosts something that is middy like TS, klon/clone or treble booster to cut some bass.

The Spark is cleaner more hi-fi and the EP will add some nice mid-range to cut thru and yes the dip switches can help!
I'd also look at a GE-7 if you have the space. I just got an XTS Modified version and it's awesome!
~ss
That's interesting information and a good suggestion.

for a lead boost, a tubescreamer, treble booster, or eqd arrows will do the trick. it cuts well in a band mix
I've got several TS-style pedals that are great into my blackface Pro Reverb but sound a little harsh w the Vox. Someone said Vox amps are particular about pedals and that seems to be true, or at least not as flexible as Fender.

Well Done

Boss GE 7
EP Booster is not a good lead boost pedal. It sounds amazing but you have to incorporate it into your full sound all the time. "Always on"

ballynally

MXR Micro amp would be my choice if I could not get an overdrive for this job.
But I would prefer to get an overdrive for lead boosts something that is middy like TS, klon/clone or treble booster to cut some bass.
i agree. Main thing is that any one knob booster will bring in more bass and treble unless it is specifically tuned not to do that. I have modded my one knob MXR Micro amp to do just that, eq parity (almost) when pushing the volume.
The suggested TS and Klons bring in mids and shave off some lows and colour the sound.Boosters w bass/treble controls are therefore preferred b people go f mini because of space requirements.The mini Spark does its own thing (i use the full one) and the standard EP booster is nothing like the Echoplex pre amp.
I mainly like boosters to fatten up single coil bridge pickups and get a bit more body out of them, the opposite needed for neck pickups.I find them not working as well w humbuckers unless they are low wound..

Last edited:

ballynally

Boss GE 7
EP Booster is not a good lead boost pedal. It sounds amazing but you have to incorporate it into your full sound all the time. "Always on"
Equalizers are good for end of chain lead boosting.The full TC Spark is still my favourite to boost at that spot though.
It brings a little more juice into the mix w slightly raised mids and maybe some compression.Great for solos.Leave the Gain at 0.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Spark Mini would be my vote out of those two options. There other choices that may be a bit more flexible... but the Spark will definitely get the job done.

Madison

For clean boost a Spark mini is great, as is an EQ pedal. If a boost with a little drive the SD-1 gain off volume max is a good option among many others. One cool feature of the Spark is the momentary switch to just throw out a riff or note here and there.

Trending Topics