• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sparkling, chimey, twangy clean tone from a 2-hum guitar ?

silot

Is it possible ?
Some years back I fooled a couple producers using a PRS CU24 and a Mira that the guitar tracks they received were made with a tele. They were totally satisfied but I was not. Can I have a humbucker guitar and twang at the same time ?

BADHAK

Probably wouldn't impress a traditional country guy, but my 2005 SG STD with 490 498s, into my stock 79 or 80 jmp 2203s gets pretty chimey or twangy for a humbucker gtr. Can definitely do some rootsey, Stonesy stuff easy. Pretty sure Honky Tonk Woman was done on a SG,and thats pretty twangy.

Whitecat

My PRS Starla is pretty chimey and can do twang, especially with the coil splits. Nothing can replace a Tele but that ballpark is certainly doable.

SPSurgeon

I struggle with this myself, i am primarily a Tele player but like the look and feel of LPs.
I lucked into a particularily bright Lp - a traditional with 50s wiring. I run it through a Diamond boost/eq which allows me to reduce mids and accentuate top. The scale length makes for a different sound, but its usable for me.

C-4

Try some Gretsch pickups with a Vox amp with Celestion Blue alnicos.

beanoboy

My Les Paul Std. has WCR Crossroads buckers, low output PAF clones. I turn them down to between 3 and 6 and get great clean, chime tones. Same deal with my Wolfetone Dr. Vintage buckers in my '96 PRS Artist, I don't use pedals anymore. I get ALL my tones by volume knob twisting.

Pearl-o

Is it possible ?
Some years back I fooled a couple producers using a PRS CU24 and a Mira that the guitar tracks they received were made with a tele. They were totally satisfied but I was not. Can I have a humbucker guitar and twang at the same time ?

I immediately thought of a PRS 408 when I read the title of your post.

bobcs71

Is it possible ?

Coil tap them and you're there!
Do either of those PRS have the coil tap? I sometimes gig with a traditional country group (pedal steel etc.). I generally use a Tele but when it was in the shop I've subsituted my Prs McCarty Korina. I spent the whole time on the bridge pickup with the coil tap engaged. The singer encouraged me to use it more often. The steel player said it made a great "tele".

just get the screws away from one side of your humbuckerino and you got your single coil! You lose some volume, though, but hey, it is better, than nothing.

Ogre

I have yet to hear a coil tapped pickup that does it for me. They sound thin and uninteresting to my jaded ears. Gretsch guitar with Filtertrons will get you in the neighborhood, and has its own cool sound as well.

buzzp

You can get some sparkly cleans, but one reason I like humbuckers is no twang... Just get silent single coils?

wamba

I have a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (bridge) in a Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it is surprisingly Tele like.

Can I have a humbucker guitar and twang at the same time ?

I never thought this was possible. But I have changed my thinking since getting a Taylor Solidbody with HD (high definition) pickups. These pickups are very different from traditional humbuckers, and utilize Neodymium magnets. They are powerful pickups, but not at all dark and muddy sounding. They have a clarity and sparkle not usually associated with humbuckers. And the wiring on the Taylor SB is also unique, providing powerful control with the volume and tone pots. I am normally a Strat player, and my ears want to hear more clarity, sparkle, and quack than a humbucker guitar can provide. But I love my Taylor SB, and sometimes have trouble believing it has humbuckers. It really can sound very much like a Strat or Tele. It's kind of like having a great single coil guitar, but with zero hum. It's hard to believe until you try one. Mine has the full size HD humbuckers. The guitar itself is a great player, with wonderful resonance and natural unplugged sustain. The fretwork is about as perfect as anything I've ever played. Every note on every fret rings like a bell. Couple this with the great pickups, and you get an extremely accurate sounding guitar. They quit making the Taylor SB, but if you can find a used one, check it out. Awesome guitars.

csacwp

Just wire it with a five way switch so that you can use the bridge or neck humbucker in parallel.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom