speaker and/or amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theinteriorleag, Jan 7, 2008.

1. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I'm running a carvin x-100b (6l6s) into an avatar 4x12 with cl80s. The amp is eq'd to emphasize the low end and some upper mids (not the scooped mid sound...more of a v-4 sound). I'm running a looper into the amp to do some dual parts, both of which are pristinely clean, and the amp gets distorted on the low end when I layer the second part (the bassier of the two). I don't want that distortion...I want it clean.

Am I pushing the amp or speakers too much or is there a better speaker suited to handle this? as always, I appreciate the assistance.

2. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

80s compress the bass undesirably (to my ears). I would go with something else. It is a 100 watt tube amp going into a 4x12?

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's got to be the amp. That's a 320W cabinet with a 100W amp going into it - the amp can't even push the speakers close to breaking up.

If the looper is in front of the amp, it's probably overloading the first gain stage or somewhere early in the amp. (The Mesa Trem-o-verb does the same thing, if it matters.)

If you don't want to mod the amp, you could try substituting a lower-gain tube in V1, either a 12AT7 or 12AY7.

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Try throwing it in the effects loop instead?

5. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

Yes, it is a 100 watt into a 4x12. I really like the cl80s. I'll try it in the loop. I need to rig my effects up to it anyway.