Speaker Break In Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zim, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Zim

Zim Member

Ok here we go:

I just got a Blackheart Little Giant head and cab. The speaker in it I guess is fine, but man is stiff and needs to break in. In the past, this was no problem, I'd do it the old fashion way. But here is the deal:

I live in an apartment now (first and last time I will do this) And I can't crank it. So what can I do to break it in short of buying an already broke in speaker?

And help would be great. Or just drop in to say hi! :BEER

BTW, I already put some not so NOS, but better than the microphonic tubes that came with it, in it.

And any other tips for this amp would be nice. My main Guitar is *soon* an '08 Gibson Studio stock.

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Stuff the cab in a small closet and surround it with pillows and bedding/clothing/whatever you can to dampen the sound. Then either play it in or hook it up to the stereo and play music through it. Get creative and figure a way to dampen the sound.
    I suppose, you could put the cab in the trunk of your car and hook it to your radio and go for a long drive with the radio cranked.:dude

BTW, Hi!

3. mc2

mc2 Member

Do even strumming of chords up and down the neck on low vol and progressively louder volumes. That will break in the speaker more evenly. That is, if you want to spend the time. Otherwise, crank it in the closet or wherever you can.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Buy or borrow a variac...variable 60 hz will loosen up a speaker nicely without blasting out the neighbors.

5. Zim

Zim Member

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Variac? I've never seen one in person, wouldn't know where to buy or borrow one!