Speaker break-in service?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rufedges, May 20, 2015.

1. rufedges

rufedges Member

Any companies offer this, where I could send them a new speaker and they break it in with a variac? Gotta be cheaper than me actually buying a variac; only company I know that offers this is Scumback, and unfortunately I am looking for more of an American / SRV style speaker, not a British Marshall flavor. Thanks.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Various companies offer break in when you buy a speaker. Not sure about aftermarket though.

3. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Don't overthink it, just play.
    Seriously :)

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

Another poster had a good comment about break in: Breaking in a speaker will make a good speaker sound great. It n't make a bad speaker sound good. Do you need the speaker broken in ASAP because you don't like it's sound? If Yes, then maybe you're after the wrong speaker...

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

it really is this simple

Weber also breaks them in for you for a fee

6. ken374

ken374 Member

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Nothing does a better job of breaking in both the voice coil and the cone like playing hard at full club volume
    for about 50 hours.

If you can't bring yourself to play through it for a few weeks, build a sofa cushion fort to dampen the volume and run your iTunes collection through it.

ichi and J M Fahey like this.
  8. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

I do this for a very reasonable fee, Just send me your amp and speaker cab....I will get it back to you in a couple months. Best way to do this is for me to gig it hard. You will love the way it sounds and the reliced look after it is returned.

rspencer, conrad79, Rig James and 4 others like this.
  9. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

I bought a good used variac for $50 on eBay and I break in my celestions the same way Scumback does. I got my monies worth out the variac for sure. Just need to be careful not to set the variac to high, and need to give the speaker breaks to cool down during the process. There is definitely a system to do it right and not damage your speaker(s).
    Certain speakers can really benefit from a break in. I have also done the iPod through the cab as well, but felt the variac worked better for me.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

hehehhhheheheheh:):):)

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You can do the IPOD thing as long as your stereo is up loud (over 30w) and you use music with lots of dynamics, organ, guitar, bass, drums, etc. I used to use five different classic rock albums till my neighbors complained about hearing Hendrix BOG, Humble Pie, Deep Purple Made in Japan and others all the time.

Hell, I loved it!

I guess they didn't think it was music since it wasn't overly bass heavy hip hop, though. Oh well.

12. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

LOL at Scumback!

Question - doing it via the amp, does it cause wear on other components since you're not playing a guitar only tone through it?

13. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

I wouldn't rule out Scumback based on the criteria you expressed. I have the prototype of the Top Hat Super Deluxe 'Americana' (BIG Blackface/American/SRV tones). It was originally a one-off for me that eventually became a regular offering. During its development we tried close to 20 new and vintage speakers. Hands down, the one that gave the BEST American/SRV tones was a Scumback H75-LDC to which Jim applied the full break-in treatment.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Can you add authentic cigarette smoke smell and beer bottle stains too? That would be awesome.

15. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

anything to avoid playing guitar.

crank it up and play. the way it sounds now is probably 97% of how its going to sound broken in. dont get yourself all worked up over this, just play.

jlagrassa likes this.
  16. rufedges

rufedges Member

LOL on some of the replies, sorry, I won't be sending my amp and cab to you for a couple months bluesoul...........I unfortunately don't have the apartment to crank it for 50 hours, I have a huge comforter I can throw in front to muffle sound, done that before.

I will look into the H75-LD...........there are SOOOOOOOO many speaker options, I've got a Two Rock Schofield, and I'm still searching for a great American / Texas Blues / SRV type speaker to pair with it in a 2x12 cab, probably with a nicely broken in Eminence GB128 (greenback style) I've had for a few years. I could easily ditch the GB128 if it interferes with the other SRV type speaker; the GB128 has more of that Marshall flavor. I've tried an Eminence RWB and Texas Heat, not what I'm looking for tonally. Was looking for something in the JBL flavor, like a Weber California, but every time I research a promising speaker, I find 5 others that sound like the one. EV is probably not what I'm looking for, earlier SRV tones, Texas Flood to CST Weather.

17. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

WGS does this all the time for amp companies and customers.. on some kind of oscilloscope "looking" machine that goes through all the guitar frequencies. I remember we left on all night and the next morning the speaker was hot but still going. It it good to only go for about 3-4 hours at a time though. Don't work WGS anymore but they have some great American voiced speaker too and Made in Paducah KY. Call and ask for Dean or Danial they'll do you right as always, 50 years in the speaker bizz and experience in that factory. Two Rock, DrZ, Mesa, Suhr... So many use their speakers.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think of breaking in a new speaker cone much in the same way as you would season the sound board of an acoustic
    guitar. The more you play, the broader the frequencies, the better the sound board responds.

Installing a fresh speaker, I may do a quick check at low volumes to make sure everything is fine, but from there
    No Mercy!

I have loaned my amps and cabs to trusted friends simply to break in a new speaker at club volumes.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Save your money and break it in naturally

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

My old friend George breaking in a new Eminence C-Rex in my '64 Ampeg Reverberocket.

My friend Johnny breaking in a new Fane AXA12 at a rather loose club jam.

Bad Cat Hot Cat 100R DIMED!
    Speakers are my EVM12L and the new Fane AXA12.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    ichi likes this.