Speaker breakin idea...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 29, 2012.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

So, I was thinking about how one could make a speaker sound better for YOU and I was wondering if how you play, how you set your amp, and how you attack your guitar might play a big role.

Since i've heard of guys playing CDs through through their speakers for days to break them in..

...anyone ever thought of recording the raw guitar signal of YOU playing your most common riffs/chords and then pumping it through your guitar amp for days?

I wonder if it would make a brand new speaker more in-tune with how you play?

This also makes me wonder a bit about speaker such as scumback that pre-designed to sound broken in...but broken in to who's playing?

2. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

That train of thought you could say that if you play metal and pump that through to break in, it would sound like **** if you played blues.

3. willc68

willc68 Member

You could do that easy with a loop pedal.

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I wouldn't say sounds like ****. I'd venture a guess it would have more to do with the FEEL of the speaker then the actual tone. but yes, something like that. If you pump metal music into the speaker, and then play blues, the blues might not respond quite as well as, say, heavily distorted power chords.

OR, you might find the chainsaw treble found in Metal music would soften the treble response of the speaker so much that the speaker would sound dull and dark....

dunno... just thinking outloud here.

5. Cleet Mongaire

Cleet Mongaire Member

I don't think a speaker is intelligent enough to know the difference in what's being played through it.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

exactly what i do, though sparingly, and have done so for 20+ years;
    hard transients, sustained tones, throughout the guitar's frequency spectrum.

except:
    at some point, i'll also loop very, very low tones..... usually dropped an octave or so below my already de-tuned guitars.
    all at relatively moderate volumes.

works for me, and it's kinda fun-to-do.

7. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

I've heard of hiding guys breaking A PAIR in by facing them to one another ..

You could be onto something with the riff idea.
    would it work by playing your favourite artists cd? ?
    You could have different cabs for different players that would make you instantly play like Clapton for instance.
    cabs are much cheaper than amps too.

:)

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

My arguement is that putting full range music (like a CD) doesn't benifit the player. Your guitar doesn't sound like drums or a bass guitar.. not to mention all the post production garbage associated with a fully mastered CD.

I just wonder if the raw guitar signal looped into YOUR guitar amp (which I think plays a big part) would be the aspect that makes the most significant benifit.

9. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I just play gigs with it. Works every time.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I get where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be nice to do this treatment to, say, four completely different TYPES of speakers and then you can tell which one you like best without having to gig 3 years with each speaker first?

11. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

I would think that broken in is broken in. The type of music, signal, or whatever you use shouldn't really make a difference. You just gotta get the cone movin'.

Then again, what the heck do I know...

12. splatt

you're saying this as if it were a hypothetical situation;
    it's not hypothetical, here.
    like i said: i've been doing this for years.

before i do it, though,
    i have to know that i already enjoy the sound & response of the speaker as it is, on arrival;
    and, to be clear,
    i do this moderately:
    30 minutes here, 15 minutes there, 10 minutes there.....
    just to loosen the thing up, a bit,
    since (for sure) i'm gonna be pummeling & playing the living daylights out of these speakers,
    anyways, over time, gigs & recordings.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I remember having to use a test tape to set and align the heads on multitrack recorders. The frequencies would start out very low and rise up to very high frequencies.

Something like this might also be a consideration as it would cover all of what a guitar would be producing and slightly more in the ultra low end and ultra high end.

Of course, a test tape such as this could be altered to get only the frequencies desired for speaker breakin's.

While I appreciate breaking in a speaker, I just take them out an play them. It really doesn't take too long, especially if you are using some volume above bedroom levels.

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

A lot of overthinking goes on on this forum. All that happens during break in is the rubber surrounds get a bit more supple. The type of, or the sound of the music used to do that isn't going to make any difference as long as you get the cone moving for a while.

15. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but GCDEF and Ugh are correct. The break in process is used to make the cone/spider/doping more pliable and easier to move.

During that process the bass gets more defined, as well as the low mids/mids, and a touch of treble is reduced off the top end.

The speaker merely reproduces what it's sent. The cone/surround/coil/spider/doping don't care if it's Beethoven or "Cookie Monster Lyric" metal, as long as the parts get exercised enough to move more freely.

16. splatt

yup!
    that's why i do what i do, in moderation.
    i use the frequency range of my guitar playing
    --- which tends to be broader than most folks' ---
    and extend downwards the bottom range / low registers:
    because it loosens things up.

plus, i make guitar-derived loops regularly, anyways, so.

it works well, it's fun to do, it requires barely any time at all,
    and "over-thinking" is unnecessary.....
    and, i'm gonna continue playing the pi•• outta these things, anyways.

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

[​IMG]

:(

18. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Unfortunately hearing one's riffing through the speakers doesn't really benefit the player either. I'm not sure how many of you people that truely enjoy listening to your own noodeling hours on end, even you of narcisistic nature, especially through a stiff speaker.

And a complex signal, like on a CD breaks a speaker in more efficiently, as it happens. Also, and this may be a personal thing, but I find I don't mind a complex signal sounding stiff as much as a guitar signal. Don't know why that is, but probably everything from bass to cymbals passing through the speaker it sounds pretty full anyway.

Then any way you can pass electrical frequencies through the speaker is good for breaking in the speaker - even a guitar signal, though it will probably take a bit more time.

19. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

And so, what are all you contributer's thoughts on the number of hours (ballpark) necessary to break-in your speaker(s) (at moderate volume)? I know that theoretically it continues forever, but how many hours does it take to where it can be considered broken-in practically speaking?

20. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

I have a 2/12 cab with 100 watt speakers trying to break them in with a 30 watt amp at home with low volume.

I guess I better break out the superlead, I hope it does not take too long I was wondering why they were not really breaking in.:bonk