Speaker Breakin or Speaker Broken?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 15, 2012.

Speaker Breakin or Speaker Broken?

1. Just needs to be broken in bigtime to smooth out

2. It's toast, trash it!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, I made some clips today of my rig to see what you guys think about a speaker I had rebuilt. I'm trying to decide if I want to pursue this speaker anymore or let it die, but after doing some recording (and playing loud) I'm still wondering if this sucker just needs the crap kicked out of it to completely loosen up (in a good way). Here is the original thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1032307&page=2

And here are the clips. I mic'd with an AKGC3000 into Focusrite Scarlett, dead on center, about 3-4 inches away, volume was pretty loud in the room to get the speaker working, preamp was around 4 on the dial so as not to color too much. I'm missing a lot of bottom end, but that is more to do with my lame micing skills than anything else. The AC30 clean actually has some merit and makes me think the speaker is worth holding onto. But the AC30 overdriven is pretty brutal. The last clip I set the mic off axis just a tad and also slide it about 1" off of center. This helped a good deal, but you can still hear the sort of "ripping" happening in the top end. Is this just a super tight rebuilt speaker that needs to be re-broken in? Or, do I give up? I talked to Jim @ Scumback today and will most likely give this up for experimentation / analysis (which could likely render the speaker useless in the end). Hence the reason I'm posting these clips. I am going to send these directly to Jim as well.

AC30 - Clean
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/testingscumbackcab-ac30-clean[/SOUNDCLOUD]

AC30 - Pushed Hard
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/testingscumbackcab-ac30-gain[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Marshall AFD100 (left reverb on, whoops!)
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/testingscumbackcab-marshall[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

The two new speakers in my amp kinda have that same sound going on with them, especially when there is too much treble so I believe it has a lot to do with a brand new cone being on there needing to be loosened.

3. Gasp100

Thanks, this speaker has literally less than 5 hours on it since being rebuilt and they are VERY low volume hours besides 30 minutes today. :p

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I usually run new guitar speakers using a stereo or something. It may sound crap with music running through guitar speakers but that's a complex signal that breaks the speaker in very well indeed.

It sounding a bit stiff could be it being run on very low volume, leaving a lot of headroom in the speaker and amp giving it a clear and hard tone. The more you pushi it the sweeter it will sound, most likely.

5. Gasp100

Good point. This is a 40 watt EHX Magnum (basically a pedal sized power amp) going into a 16 ohm Scumback H55 100 watter. Maybe I'm not feeding it enough power? It's pretty f***ing loud in my room though...

6. Gasp100

Spoke to Jim, I'm going to put more loud hours on this before making a final decision. Thanks!

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I didn't hear anything in the 1st and 3rd clip that would lead me to think the speaker is malfunctioning. In fact, the 3rd clip sounded good to me, a bit gainy, but that's the nature of that beast isn't it? The 2nd clip, however, was hideous sounding; not sure what's going on there.

8. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Possibly a 65W one had sufficed. Could be the speaker is also brighter and edgier than anticipated. This is a clone of the G12H30 w. 55Hz cone and it's brighter and more agressive than the G12M and the G12 Alnico Bulldog.