• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Speaker Cab for my Princeton reverb

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
*First off, please refrain from comments like "just get a deluxe reverb" or anything of the sort, i love my amp and my band plays with an electronic drum set. It keeps up i just want a bigger sound

I've never messed around with extension cabs before and I was thinking about getting one to go with my princeton reverb. Right now it has a weber c10q, and it sounds great. But i just want a bigger sound

What do you guys think should be my format. 1x15? 2x12? 2x10? Not really wanting to haul around a 4x12 or 4x10 and i dont think that would be ideal for such a small amp would it??

Also recommend a good cabinet to buy, Id like it to be somewhat matching

Right now im leaning heavily toward an avatar cab with either 1 or 2 celestion golds, just so you know around how much im willing to spend. that would be about 800 dollars and it would be conversion open back or closed back. But im very curious what a 15 would sound like. I had a peavey delta blues 115 that i liked alot but i know thats a whole nother animal

Last edited:
Have you tried swapping the 10" for a 12"?

I have a 12" Celestion Gold in a Princeton Reverb clone that I built. Great cleans.

It might be cool to have an extension cab so that you could put it on the other side of the stage or aim it in a different direction.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Well the silverface princeton reverbs have a glued in baffle, plus I think the sound would really benefit from a bigger cab. I did think about buying a replacement cab from allen amps though. I could get the one that he has that's sized for a 4x8 and then I would be able to try a few different combinations of speakers that way. That is an option

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Can you even run the combo speaker along with an extension speaker in the Princeton or Deluxe?
no but thats not what i want to do, i want to just run it with an extension cab and use the internal speaker for just home playing

Axekisser

I have a PR and I use a 2x10 ext cab. Works well with my Champs too! I built it myself using pine and I loaded it with '64 Jensens or sometimes I'll throw in a Eminence Legend 1058 for a bit more bottom. I find that pine sounds great and works great with Fenders. I run the cab at 4ohm and never had a problem. If you're concerned, just get two 16 ohm speakers in parallel.

Heady Jam Fan

My first thought was also that maybe upgrading the internal speaker would do the trick.
But if you prefer an external cab, do it to it lars.

If you go with replacing the internal speaker, remember you can use a 10" Gold or maybe even an EVM10L if the baffle can support it. Otherwise you can swap out the baffle and use a 12" speaker.

I love the EVM12L with smaller Fenders because it makes it sound a bit bigger. I didn't dig the EVM with the Twin because the Twin already has a wide frequency response and I prefer it with a more midrange-focused speaker. I'm debating seeing if I can stuff an EV in my Deluxe if the baffle will support it :D. I have a Classic Lead 80, which is a great option too if you want to avoid the cost of a Gold (Alnico) and still want creamy mids. Or try a V30 for a bit more bite.

Last thought. If you get an External cab, an EV in a 112 will sound plenty big, but I'd probably go with a 212 for Celestion speakers - a 112 would work, but if you want a bigger sound and your getting an external cab anyway, a 212 or 210 might be worth the extra size and weight.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
well i already have a pretty efficient weber in there right now.

maybe 2x10 isnt a bad idea, number one the speakers would be cheaper, and number two it would be lighter. Im still thinking 2 celestion golds would be a nice sound. Should be nice and full.

Heady Jam Fan

well i already have a pretty efficient weber in there right now.

maybe 2x10 isnt a bad idea, number one the speakers would be cheaper, and number two it would be lighter. Im still thinking 2 celestion golds would be a nice sound. Should be nice and full.
When I bought my DR, I ran it through a 212 with Golds and it rocked. I've had many Gold clones too and eventually opted for the lower cost of Ceramic magnets, plus I like the punch of Ceramic rather than the compression of Alnico, even though Alnico does have something specially, tonally.

silver surfer

I have a BF Princeton Reverb with an original Jensen C10N. Sounds excellent. I also sometimes run it through an Avatar cab with a 12" Celestion Gold. Sounds amazing. Seems to be a perfect match for the PR. It gives more bass, but with a tighter feel. More noticable mids than the typical speaker recommended for Fender amps like a C12N type speaker. And the highs have a great sparkle. I have run this amp through a variety of speakers over the years, and the Celestion Gold really stands out. For some reason, I don't like the tone I get using my BFDR through this speaker, but my BFSR sounds equally awesome as the Princeton Reverb through the Celestion Gold.

dB

Silver Supporting Member
Can you even run the combo speaker along with an extension speaker in the Princeton or Deluxe?
Of course you can. Run two 8ohm speakers in parallel at 4ohms. Or, run a pair of 16ohm speakers if you're particular about an 8ohm load.

I have a PR with a K110 and a 15" Weber Cali in an extension cab. It sounds huge. Seriously. 15" speakers are awesome with Fender amps. The Eminence 15" legend also sounds great with a PR. I'd bet the Weber 15" Blue would be killer. Look at TRM for really nice sounding, well priced pine cabs. Not a fan of Avatar, especially for a Fender.

Spoonful

Check with Rick at Vintage Sound for the cab. He builds Fender clones which are great. He also is making cabs now. Just a thought - if you aren't trying to retain the sound of the Princeton, maybe get a cab with a 12 and a 10. Or a 15 and a 10 or mix two of the same size. Should move more air than the single 10 in the combo.

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Check with Rick at Vintage Sound for the cab. He builds Fender clones which are great. He also is making cabs now. Just a thought - if you aren't trying to retain the sound of the Princeton, maybe get a cab with a 12 and a 10. Or a 15 and a 10 or mix two of the same size. Should move more air than the single 10 in the combo.
Why should I mix speaker sizes? What's the advantage to that?

GetInTheVan

Some things to consider: The more speakers you hook up, the harder it is for the amp to push every single speaker to it's sweetspot. PRs only give about 15Watts. On the other hand bigger size cabs deliver more lowed.
If you create an impedance mismatch your amp will breakup sooner and can't deliver maximum clean headroom. So so what will work also depends a lot on if you use pedals or push the amp into breakup.
I'd suggest to get another two Weber C10Ns at 16 Ohm if you like how than one sounds that you have and just use another 1x10 extension cab along with the internal one. That would be the cheapest and most compact solution. Otherwise go with a 2x10 extension if you want to use the extension only (I always prefer to travel light though). Also a silicone diode rectifier works wonders in making an amp sound bigger. Don't forget to rebias though.

I don't like golds in blackface type amps. They make the breakup sound fizzy and horrible when you push the amp. They might work if you use pedals for dirt but not for true fender tone. Nothing beats a jensen type speaker in BF type amps. If you want to go the gold route you should definitely try before you buy. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they'll work for you. I had a pair and sold them. The C10Q RIs beat them hands down in my BFVR amp and they cost a quarter of them.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
First off, I DID read your post, but have to ask; instead of an extension cab, have you considered just running a second PR?

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
Something else that makes a smaller amp sound bigger is a Sound Enhancer.
I used to use one when playing out with a Princeton sized amp and the difference was surprising. They were available in 3 sizes. I think they went out of production for a while but it looks like they're back in business and have redesigned it a bit.
Definitely worth checking out if you come across one.

http://www.soundenhancer.com/news_updates.htm

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Something else that makes a smaller amp sound bigger is a Sound Enhancer.
I used to use one when playing out with a Princeton sized amp and the difference was surprising. They were available in 3 sizes. I think they went out of production for a while but it looks like they're back in business and have redesigned it a bit.
Definitely worth checking out if you come across one.

http://www.soundenhancer.com/news_updates.htm
Seems expensive and kind of impractical for me. I didn't see a price though

But going by that logic, is it possible to convert my stock cabinet into a close back by just some kind of panel that wouldn't require modification of a vintage amp?

Seems like that would get me closer to what I want, like what about a panel that used the existing screw holes for the original two back panels, but it covered the entire back of the cab?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom