speaker cab problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, Mar 28, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I was using my AC30 with my Marshall 4X12 cab at low volume and I noticed a tiny bit of crackle in the sound. Put the amp away wondering if something major is going on, not really wanting to think about it. I got my Germino Classic 45 today and hooked it up to the 4X12. Same problem as well as some fuzziness on the very lowest notes F, F#,G.
    The good news is that the issue isn't with my AC30. :dude

I thought it might be the speaker wire as I had soldered it up myself but I changes wires and same thing. Then I plugged the Germino into a different speaker with it's own wire and no problem at all.

So any idea as to what the problem could be or how to track it down? Is there a way to check wiring/connections with a voltmeter?

2. tybone

tybone Member

First, open the back of the cabinet and check all of the mechanical stuff. Screws on the speakers, rivets on the handles, speaker connections etc. Make sure nothing is rattling around in there. Tapping stuff with the (blunt) end of a screwdriver to see if you can find a rattle. I hope you find something loose in the cab cuz if you don't you may be looking at a speaker problem.

3. mike80

mike80 Member

After you check all the mechanical stuff, my suggestion would be to plug back into the cab, and play at the volume where the crackle is most prominent. Listen to the cab from top to bottom, trying to isolate where the noise is coming from. Put your ear up to each individual speaker, and see if you can hear a speaker making the noise. If the noise is coming from the cone of one of the speakers, then you have a speaker problem. If it comes from all speakers, then you most likely have a bad cable, bad connection, etc.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Is there anything I can check with a voltmeter or is it all just physical inspection?

5. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Does it sounds physical or electronic?

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Very interesting question and I don't have a clue. Maybe the buzziness on the lowest notes provides a clue?

Again - this is at very low volume

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I had a set of speakers that had a wierd resonance at certain frequencies. I swapped the speakers out of the cab and it was fine from then on.