• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Speaker Cab with strip of wood across the front of the speaker?

mark123

I picked up this 1X12 cab (loaded with a WGS Veteran 30) awhile back. I was told it was a somewhat custom spec build for Watts Tube Audio (local tube amp kit and parts house) for a cab they were going to put out but never materialized. When I bought it, didn't know that it had around a 2" or so strip of wood that goes across the center of the speaker opening until I took a picture of the cab and the flash of the camera picked it up. Can't see it in normal room conditions. I'd assume it's there to defuse the beam of the speaker, but not sure. The cab and speaker sound fine to me, but wondering if it would sound better or worse if I removed the strip. Any thoughts on it?

Last edited:

Tomm Williams

Cab builders originally started using those to stabilize the baffle boards. It probably also acts as a diffuser to some degree. Removing it could have a negative impact if your baffle board is on the light/thin side.

johnspeck

Silver Supporting Member
The old Vox AC30's utilized this design. Acts as a 'beam blocker'. Helps reduce beaming treble in my experience.

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
Valco did that to a lot of their amps. I have an Airline that has it.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know for sure but would bet that a lot of strips across the speaker are simply there as a holdover from older designs that were purely decorative or structural in nature.
Likely no thought went into diffusing the beam. They did it because it worked. Good enough. Holds things together. Speaker protection. Cheap:cool:

pdf64

A 2" strip is quite wide, 1" is more normal. It may have a noticable effect on the high end.

neteraser

Interesting. If we talk Vox Top Boost, I get an idea why it might have been used. Other than that, I prefer some additional brightness at the output stage (closer to the speaker and after the speaker) and think it's right at least for rock-n-roll music...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom