Speaker cabinet connection question

Hi, I'm fairly new to amp heads and cabinets since I've mainly used combos. I bought a cabinet that has a quarter inch cable soldered to the speaker. I normally see speaker cables connected to a jack of some sort. Will this create any issues?

PushedGlass

If I follow you correctly, your cab has a speaker with a two-conductor cable that has bare wires soldered to the speaker's tabs at one end and a 1/4" male phone plug at the other for insertion into a head's appropriate speaker jack.

That's actually not a bad way to go. Soldered at the speaker end means that connection will likely never come loose or rattle, and on top of that you only have one pair of "bottlenecks" where the plug's tip and sleeve make contact with the jack. On the face of it, your cab's built-in cable seems more reliable and less lossy than a typical cab's spade lugs on the speakers and jack in the back. The lesser lossiness would be more important (twice as much, natch) if your cab's speaker were 4-ohm versus 8-ohm.

You've described my situation much better than I did.

Thanks for the reply. I've never seen it done this way but your explanation makes it sound pretty good!

PushedGlass

It may be a little fussy having a cord to shove into the back of the cab, but that may not be an issue for you and besides - you'd be a lot less likely to lose it!

Trending Topics