Speaker Cabinet Poll: Forte, Mesa, or Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jfwund, Jan 21, 2012.

Which speaker cabinet would you choose?

1. Forte 3D Horizontal 2x12 (Birch, not lightweight)

2. Used Mesa 2x12 cab -- maybe Electrodyne or LoneStar?

3. Avatar Contemporary 2x12

4. Other (Please specify in your post)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jfwund

jfwund Member

I am currently looking into purchasing a 2x12 speaker cabinet for my Mesa Express 5:50. I thought I had this figured out but have had cause to reopen my search.

I am planning on pairing a WGS Invader and a WGS liberator, as I found this combination quite pleasing in the demo videos. My Mesa has a stock c90 speaker that has a harshness that can't be dialed out, hence the speaker cab.

I've narrowed it to these 3, and here's my thought process:
    I like the idea of the Forte and they appear to be very well constructed. I like the aesthetics too -- the logo like an "f" hole is pleasing. The 3d sound dispersion is intriguing.

I think Mesa makes some very high quality products, and I imagine their speaker cabs are no exception. I can get a used Mesa for around the same price as a Forte, and this would match my amp. I could then swap the speakers (assuming that the speaker connections are the clips and not soldered on) and sell the V30s that come in the Mesa cab. Total price here is probably pretty close to the Forte.

The Avatar is a budget choice, no doubt. It comes in several hundred dollars cheaper than the others. I have heard good things about Avatar--everyone who has one seems to be pleased with it--and at the end of the day, since I'm a bedroom player now, will there be that much of a sonic difference to warrant the extra $$?

What do you say, TGP? What would you choose?

2. cradlefish

cradlefish Member

i had mesa, orange and avatar...my preference is whitebox cabs

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Stoneage 2x12 B cabinet, top shelf construction, quality and customer service.

4. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Hey, I'd love to go with a Stoneage or Scumback 4x12, but times are lean, so I say;Sourmash cabs!!

5. scorched

scorched Member

I've had all three. A Mesa Roadking 2x12, an Avatar 2x12 and now have a Forte 2x12 w/ closed bottom.

They're all good but I think the Forte wins by a length. Great attention to detail... probably the best built cab I've owned.

Oh yeah, sound great, too.

6. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking for a budget cabinet, Avatar is hard to beat, but if you want quality then get the Forte!

7. rp108

rp108 Member

I am not a huge fan of Mesa amps but their cabs, you can't go wrong. I would easily get a Mesa 2x12 and not think twice about it. I have been using the 4x12 since 2004 and they are awesome.

8. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I'm happy with my Mesa cabs. If you want to behold a thing of beauty, go with Lonestar cabs. That extra trim makes the stage look beautiful.

9. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

10. jfwund

jfwund Member

Thanks for all of the votes and responses!

I actually came across a good deal on a Mesa/Boogie Electradyne 2x12, and I've pulled the trigger on that. I suspect that the V30's will share the harshness with the C90 that's in my Express, but I'll give it a little time to listen to first.

Thanks again!

11. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

My vote goes to the Forte. I recently purchased one and Dave is the best to work with. He put up with all of my annoying questions and set me up with a custom built cabinet.

Best construction you will ever see, i guarantee it. Couldnt be more happy with mine, sounds bigger than I though a 2x12 could possibly sound. Very space filling and just adds another level of depth to your sound.

12. mach5

mach5 Member

[​IMG]
    Avatar with a V30 & G12H semi-open back :dude

13. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've got some nice Mesa cabs, but my Forte cab (2x12 vertical 3D S/V) sounds better, to me. Add in Dave's amazing personal service, and it is an easy win for Forte...

- Thom

14. QQQ

QQQ Member

Vote for Forte.

15. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

16. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

If you needed a really good closed back cab then I would vote for the Mesa Recto 212. Just solid as a rock. I also purchased an Avatar 412 and a Stagecraft horizontal 212. I put V30s in the Avatar. In the Stagecraft I put a C90 in the top and a V30 in the bottom. Great combination. Very punchy. But for an easy tote, my Rivera R55 and a Mesa Theile is an awesome combination. It gets the open back with a Celestion 75 and a super defined punch with an EVM12L.

17. hector

hector Member

Mesa cabs are too heavy. Avatar is nice, but I really like my Forte 1x12. So, I'd go with a Forte.