Speaker cabinet type for someone who ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 16, 2012.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

will be playing 90% of the time at home (in other words at "indoor" levels)?

Is there slam dunk reasoning that would support using a closed back, open back, or ported cabinet in these circumstances?

(Assume the cab is a 1x12 and the head's a Badger 18 played a mid volume (not too loud, not too soft).

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

FWIW ... I have an open back 1x12 and closed back oversized 2x12 ... the 1x12 is great for lower gain, very big and clear with a WGS ET65, and the 2x12 really pops for higher gain, very focussed, using Scumback H75 LHDCs.

3. alivegy

alivegy Member

For home playing I like to use a good front ported cab, like a port city. I love the punch of a closed back cabinet, but if you're like me and you move around a lot while you play, with every step you take the sound can change dramatically. I don't like open back cabinets for heavier tones and their tone is very dependent on what you have behind them and how far away it is. A good front port can take care of these issues and give you a very strong, wide sound field.