speaker cable question - OT - Standby

glman

is it safe to unplug a speaker cable from an amp head from one speaker cab to another while the amp is on standby - I'm told that it's OK as long as standby is engaged but I need some expert opinions

?&!

I have heard conflicting theories on this, so just to be safe, I always power the head down completely before removing a speaker cable. I love my amp, so I'm not taking any chances! :)

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
Of the amps I've owned and/or built, the only thing that's powered when you flip the power switch is the filaments, which means it's perfectly safe to unplug the speaker cable. Can't think of any special cases.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
is it safe to unplug a speaker cable from an amp head from one speaker cab to another while the amp is on standby - I'm told that it's OK as long as standby is engaged but I need some expert opinions
Yes...with a tube amp on standby, it is safe to change speakers. The main concern here is potential flyback voltage generated in the output transformer with no or too high of a load on the amp. However, for said flyback voltage to be generated in the output transformer, the amp has to: 1)not be on standby, and, 2)also have an input signal applied (or some sort of internal oscillation malfunction).

Trending Topics