1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Lucky7, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

I have a 10' speaker cable that I'm wanting to splice one end and connect it directly to a speaker already in a 1-12 combo amp. I don't yet have an extention cab for my Z head, so I need to have a longer speaker cable than the one in the combo. Can I simply cut one end of my speaker cable and put some clips on there and then connect them to the speaker in the combo? If this is even possible which wire (inside the speaker cable) would be positive and which is negative? Hope my question isn't too confusing and thanks for your help and suggestions!

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

You can do this all you need to do is use an ohm meter to check which wire is which. Connect the meter to one side, the tip (of the speaker plug) and then use the other lead from the meter to check which of the stripped wires gives you a connection. If you put the meter on the shaft (this should be ground) then the other lead (wire) should give you a connection.

3. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

Any way to tell without a meter? Unfortunately I don't have one. Someone once told me that after you splice the end of the cable just simply connect the wires to the speaker. If the speaker reacts opposite (speaker cone moves inward not outward) just reverse the wires on the speaker. Is this true or did I misunderstand?

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Actually, the speaker moves both in and out. If you can see the cone of the speaker, you can attach a battery to the 2 wires. When you have the + of the battery on the + of the speaker the cone will move outwards. Most speakers are marked with polarity, but it could be difficult for thoses not familiar. For example the positive will normally be marked with a red dot, a plus sign or use a lighter colored lead wire etc.

You will want to disconnect the original 2 wires on the other speaker though as the output of the other amplifier, even when off, will affect the load and possibly cause some issues.

5. jyee

jyee Member

yes, you can check the speaker movement to tell if it's wired the same as the other speakers (in phase).

... i guess donny beat me to the answer (and was more thorough - battery and such... because it'd be nearly impossible to check phase between 2 speakers when they're playing sound.)