Speaker cable splitter (2 to 1 Y)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dayn, Apr 21, 2015.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am in need of a speaker cable that can be 1/4" on one end to plug into a single 8 ohm speaker output on my amp, and will split into two speaker outputs, one going directly to the speaker for the amp signal, the other carrying that same amp signal to an outboard speaker driven reverb unit. The end with the speaker can be bare wires to get soldered to the speaker tabs, the end going to the reverb needs to be 1/4".

Does such a thing exist as a standard piece in the market? Can such a thing be custom made by Lava Cable or some other company?

I have a little plastic y splitter device but it doesn't seem too sturdy.

Thanks for your input!

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I don't think you want to run a speaker level signal into a reverb unit. You'll likely fry the reverb unit. You need to split that before it goes into the amp if you want to use it that way. There are also impedance issues to worry about when hooking up multiple speakers to the same amp. Unless I'm misunderstanding how you're setting this all up.

Can you tell us which amp and which reverb unit we're talking about here?

3. dayn

Ethos power amp, single 8 ohm output.

Mojoverb Reverb, which is indeed a speaker signal driven reverb. It requires a speaker signal to drive it. It also does not present a load for the power amp to "see." My amp will only sees its 8 ohm speaker.

If the power amp had two parallel outputs, I would not need a custom cable. It doesn't, so I do.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's pretty easy to build one: use larger 1/4" jacks-solder two wires onto one and and then the 1/4" jack onto one of the other ends, and solder the other to the speaker. Or for more flexibility, make a Y cable with 1/4" jack on one end (to plug into the Ethos) and 2 1/4" female jacks on the other end. Then you can plug the 1/4" from the speaker into one and the 1/4" from reverb into the other, and just remove it if you want to go to the speaker only.

5. dayn

Like this (see my pic)?

[​IMG]

6. WaltC

WaltC Member

Why don't you just call MojoTone and order the "kit" of adapters that come with the MojoVerb unit when new?

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually that picture looks fine!