Speaker cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KRosser, Oct 15, 2005.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

What do some of you like for speaker cables, to connect a head to a cab? I have these two old no-name ones I've had around for years and I'm not really sure what else is out there...?

FWIW, I use and very much like the thin George L's from guitar to amp...

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

y`know regular 2 core mains cable, works a treat, I was told the thicker your mains cable, the better, simply solder on input jacks and away you go. I use them and they work a treat. just dont use a guitar cord,.....big no no

jimmy

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Like previously mentioned, two conductor power cord, that's at least 18 guage, will work fine. I typically use 16 guage rubber jacketed extension cord cable for added durability. However, if you have access to an old vacuum cleaner, snip off the power cord and use that for your speaker cables. For some reason, wire thats been pre-conditioned with AC current for a few years seems to work best for speaker cords.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

George L's does speaker cable, too, but I've never tried any.

5. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I've been using the Mulder Audio cables for almost a year now. I was shocked at how much of a diference they made. I first got one for my 18 watt combo. I was so impressed with the results, I ended up rewiring my 2 X 12 with them and use them in all my amp to speaker connections. Huge improvement in tone. Check out the website. Gary offers a 10% discount to GP members and a money back guarantee if you don't like them! You can't go wrong. Check out this for a long discussion about them on this site: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79382&highlight=speaker+cable.

6. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

+1 for the Mulder!!!

Ted

7. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I like Monster Cable. They're good quality and have a lifetime warranty. I've had one go bad and I just took it to a local dealer...not even the one I bought it from...and they replaced no questions asked.

jeffhef

8. Rick0

Rick0 Member

9. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

I can't see spending $100 on a speaker cable. That's just insane.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Extremely good quality, top notch materials and the price is very affordable. www.bayoucables.com

I use them and like the Mulder's in combo amps.

11. devbro

devbro Member

+1 for Bayou Cables.......!

Excellent quality, good price and great folks to deal with. I made my own using power cord for years and recently changed to a Bayou cable and noticed a difference.

12. jrigg

I had that exact thought. Then I started thinking of how much I spent on my overdrive pedal(s) which are only on maybe 10-25% of the time when I am playing. The improvement in sound that a great speaker cable makes is present 100% of the time that I am playing. Check it out. I too was a nonbeliever until some guys here who I trust praised the Mulders. With a money back guarantee I figured what the f%$#!

13. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Member

Are you guys seeing the benefit of these specialty speaker cables without upgrading the internal wiring of the cabinet itself?

If the cab itself is wired with "standard quality" wiring why wouldn't that be a weak link, negating the benefit of say a Bayou or Mulder head to cab speaker cable.

I see harnesses for combos but am not seeing anything like a harness with an input jack and wiring to speakers. What am I missing here, don't mean to seem ignorant but guess what, I am!!

14. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

You do have a point!
    The sonic benefits of a given cable will be better realised when the cabs are wired internally with the same brand cable.
    Sometimes,even a mix of two good quality cables of a different brand/construction will sound less satisfying than a complete one brand/construction harness.
    Mulder offers a speaker jack to speaker harness.
    I use the same cable even when I hook up my attenuator.

Ted

15. miko

miko Guest

I definitely agree with tedwoods... I think a better way to think of the internal cabinet wire is as a "limiting factor" as opposed to a "weak link", if that makes sense. If you make a significant improvement in your signal path, it wouldn't necessarily be negated because you didn't make a comparable improvement throughout, i.e. every link in the chain. That said, upgrading the internal wiring as well as the head-to-cab cable is the way to go.

Anyway, I've got Mulder cables in two combo amps (a blues deluxe & an SWR bass combo) and have been really blown away by the improvement. More noticeable than I anticipated. I've not tried vacuum cleaner cord, bayou, or evidence, but I've been really impressed by the Mulder cable.

I just got a couple of Gary Mulder's X-Pedal cables (stomp box connectors) last week and just had a chance to try 'em out last night and... I think he's done it again. I guess I should post separately about these but they seemed to really open up the sound I was getting, kind of a 3D quality (EMMA discombobulator -> Fulltone Bass-drive -> Line6 DM-4).

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have all my cabs wired with oxygen free 16 guage speaker wire.

17. jrigg

I was so impressed with the impovement in tone that I did rewire the inside of my 2 X 12 so now my signal goes through all Mulder cable from amp to attenuator to cab to speakers. Gary will make a custom harness for you including the jack and all connectors.

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Yeah but what about power cords? :D

this will save some time...

http://www.thegearpage.net./board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88445&highlight=speaker+cable

to save even more time here's the last post.

Mr.Hanky
    Contributing Member

WOO HOO!

8 pages of complete nonsense, and what have we learned.

Well, I lernt that never, on ANY forum I have ever been on has a thread like this EVER come close to having people agree.

The cable controversey will live on, right up there with the Dumble threads and (most recently) the Eminence threads.

Thanks to everyone for playing, I'm sure nobody's opinions has changed in the slightest.

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Spam ahead.

I have a 10' MIT speaker cable for sale if anyone wants it. I paid $85 new but would take $40 shipped via FedEx ground anywhere in the CONUS.

Speaker cables do make a difference and this cable does work, I just prefer the ratty sound of my Guytron going through the matching 2x12" cabinet without the improvement. :)