1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Koa-Dogg, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Koa-Dogg

Koa-Dogg Supporting Member

What speaker cables do you all use or recommend for your racks? I need to order some and need some recommendations.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. rstites

rstites Member

I build my own. It's cheaper and lets me customize sizes. I've ordered a number of items from Redco lately and have been happy with prices and service. They'll build the cables custom for you for a fee.

3. Koa-Dogg

Koa-Dogg Supporting Member

What cable do you use to build your own cables?

4. Ian

Ian Member

I have used Marshall Sound Runner speaker cable with Switchcraft plugs for a long time......I bought a bunch of this wire from Pacific Radio on Santa Monica Blvd years ago....not sure if they are still there, or not.....but I ordered mine, and they shipped it. They had a ton of stuff....

iam_krash likes this.
  5. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Lamp cord from Home Depot.

Jazzgear and jlcogar like this.
  6. rstites

rstites Member

I just ordered some of the 14-2 Redco speaker cable, but am waiting on it to arrive. It's a bit delayed in shipping. I'm sure it'll be fine. I think I had some ProCo speaker cable before: Sweetwater carries them. Either will work fine. Don't get too big. I ordered the 10-2 from Redco before and it's massive - too big for my connectors!

The lamp cord is kind of an old joke, but it really does work perfectly fine. I like the round cable with an outer insulation/protection layer for the stage, but at home it doesn't matter. For that matter, Home Depot does sell bulk cable and it's perfectly good cable, or at least they did last time I checked. You just cut off whatever you need. It's designed for outdoor lighting and such, so it's actually pretty tough. So long as they have something thick enough for speakers, you're good and I assume they do.

Elric likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

From another thread on different forum:
    My heads or power amps typically sit on top of the speaker cabinet so my cable runs for speakers are three to four feet. There is not going to be appreciable resistance or capacitance at those lengths and fancy shielding will not buy you anything, AFAIK. If you can get good quality leads and can solder, proper gauge wire from Home Depot or similar works well. I certainly can't hear the difference and the price is great.

That said, if you don't want to solder, don't know how to test a cable, or don't trust yourself to DIY, by all means get a cable you can trust from a good place, it is worth the dough. A bad one could mess up your amp.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

AWG18 gauge cable is perfectly fine, but if you get AWG16 it'll be way more thickness than you'd ever need for a few feet of guitar amp power. any thicker than that just makes the cable bulky, heavy and stiff

nothing else matters besides having basic good quality plug ends (switchcraft or neutrik).

+1 for lamp cord/zip cord, nice and easy to roll up and store and also cheap; if it can handle 120V 15A wall current then it's way more than enough for your 100 watt guitar amp pushing 28V and 3 1/2 amps into your 8Ω cab.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Elric and amphog like this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Anyone know the European equivalent to Redco? I been looking at Thomann, but surely there is something like CPC Farnell in the UK over here...

10. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

Home Depot for outdoor lighting cable - grab a spool of 100ft or more, order some ends, solder a bit. Very inexpensive, custom lengths.

Elric likes this.
  11. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest