Speaker change for AC30?

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
What speakers are in there now?

I like the Weber ceramic Silver Bells and Blue Dogs. 50-100 watts and pre-Rola dope. Silver Bell is warmer with more bottom but still has chime.

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
Scumnico all the way. Less mids than a blue, tighter low end, no ice pick anywhere. Sounds great in my JMJ-30.

buzzp

Scumnico all the way. Less mids than a blue, tighter low end, no ice pick anywhere. Sounds great in my JMJ-30.

I loved the scumnico in my friends Ceriatone Dizzy 30. I was thinking about getting one myself paired with something else in my handwired AC30

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
I loved the scumnico in my friends Ceriatone Dizzy 30. I was thinking about getting one myself paired with something else in my handwired AC30
I have mine paired with a early 60's reconed poly grey blue speaker and it sounds great. May try another scumnico someday. Great speakers.

Pseudohobbit

What speakers are in there now?

I like the Weber ceramic Silver Bells and Blue Dogs. 50-100 watts and pre-Rola dope. Silver Bell is warmer with more bottom but still has chime.
Probably will get one that's stock with Wharfells. I was thinking maybe Greenbacks because I like prog rock a lot.

Onioner

50+ watt ceramic Blue Dog. Same sort of sound as a Blue with a bigger bottom. The Silver Bell is an option too for a more mid / bottom mid focused sound. You can consider AlNiCo for a rounder to, but ceramic will have the stronger bottom and it's a lot easier to roll off some top than it is to punch up the bottom. Plus, ceramics are half the cost...

Blues are THEE speaker for an AC30
Not if you're looking for a thicker bottom and less sharp highs....

scott1568

The Silver / Blue combo isn't just for AC30s or other EL 84 amps.

I tried 3 other speaker combinations for a Blackface Bassman and settled on those. I have tried to find better, but cant....

Plain Henry

I personally like the Weber Silver Bell but their Blue Dog is advertised for classic Vox tone. I believe they offer their speakers with hemp cones to tame the treble.

Pseudohobbit

I'd pefer not to mix speakers. I'm hearing a lot about blue dogs and silver bells. Which would be better fro prog and alternative?

mmunguia

Silver Supporting Member
NEVER replace speakers, Make sure you get UK Blues (if you have the old heritage anniversary, then you have the sucky blues, get some UK blues and you'll be happy!!!)

owned several ac30's, UK blues are the way to go!!!!

Cirrus

Blues are awesome speakers and a classic choice for a reason, but they fall down above a certain gain level, or if you want smoother, deeper sounds. Personally I prefer Golds with my AC30 for more punch, better handling of mid to higher gain, less in your face upper mids and an overall bigger sound. The "downside" is that since a pair of golds can handle 100w you never push the speakers. Personally I like that because they stay tight all the way up.

I've done a bit of speaker mixing and honestly I came to the conclusion that I prefer two of the same speaker - mixing compromises the speaker's character to my ears, and I always find that you EQ for one speaker or the other then don't know which to mic at a gig.

For ceramic speakers, I think that G12Hs are great in open backed combos - either the anni or heritage versions. An alternative is a head+ closed back cab, in which case V30s are an awesome modern take on the AC30 sound and are killer with high gain. I find greenbacks only work for me in 4x12 cabs to get them punchy and avoid the fizzies they develop when pushed a bit, But based on some limited experience with a pair of G12 65s, I think they or the new creambacks would be awesome speakers in a 2x12 format.

Three years ago I had a blue dog/ silver bell combo, both alnico 30w models, and I thought they sounded good and recorded great but mushed out very quickly as the volume came up and sounded too dull if kept quiet - they had quite a narrow sweet spot to my ears. Also they were pretty low sensitivity - at a guess, 96db. At times I was finding I couldn't get loud enough so they had to go. If I could have kept at a constant volume then I think I'd still have them, though their magic was in the midrange - they definitely don't have the low end grunt of a celestion, including the Blue.

Hope that helps some!

Trending Topics