Speaker Change for Fargen Blackbird

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by madscientist, Jun 22, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist Member

Hello All,
    Tried to swap out a speaker tonight and, due to the overwhelming size of the iron in the BB, I couldn't fit the Emi Swamp Thang into the cabinet. Anyone with the newer version (in combo form) able to fit different speakers in there? If so, what did you have luck with? In particular, anyone able to squeeze a Scumback of any sort in there?

Thanks for your help!
    -Chris

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Scumbacks are roughly the same size as the Celestion models, or very close. I can't say about the Eminence line, though. What shipped with the amp originally?

It'll be a PITA, but if you could get the measurements of what was originally in there, you could figure out what else would fit.

You'd need the following dimensions.

Depth from front of cork gasket to the back of the magnet.

Width of the magnet at it's widest point. My magnets on the M/H series are 5.25 inches wide. Speaker depths are M series=5 1/4" H series = 5 3/8"

3. madscientist

madscientist Member

It's a strange situation, it's not the depth of the magnet that's the issue, it's the speaker frame itself that won't fit (the transformers are right against the frame and the speaker cannot sit flush with the baffle).

Original speaker is a Naylor SD50.

I'll take some measurements at some point. Nothing quite like taking a cabinet apart just to find that you have to put the whole thing back together with no positive results...ugh.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I've heard of this problem, too. I think an old Fender Deluxe (or some type of old Fender) has trannies that are right next to the speaker frame area, and you have to actually turn the speaker to get the tranny into one of the open areas in the frame. Since I put the 8 mounting holes in the Scumback frame, turning it a bit to allow the tranny to sit in the opening shouldn't be a problem, IF that is the problem.

More measurements or pics might be the next step. Told you it might be a PITA...sorry I was right. Good luck!

5. madscientist

madscientist Member

At some point this week, I'll get in there and take some pics/measurements
    Thanks for your help and advice. I'm eying up one of those H75 -100 watt jobs.

6. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I had trouble putting in an Emi Wizard and Emi Red white and blue into my Blackbird 30 combo (2007 cab, NOT the anniversary model cab) I had to rotate the speaker until one of the spaces in the speaker frame lined-up with the output transformer. So, it only fit in that one way. I can imagine that the Swamp thang would be a similar problem. The way I lined it up causes the speaker terminals to face down to the bottom of the amplifier.

How did you like the Naylor SD50? I am thinking of getting one for my BB30 and I could use all the info I can get about it.

P.

7. madscientist

madscientist Member

Thanks for the info.

I have mixed feelings about the Naylor. For cleans, it's wonderful. Full sounding, a lot of depth in the mids...can't complain. When it's time for the OD, well, that's where I have issue with the Naylor. To me, it gets a bit too raspy and harsh on the top end.

8. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Hi P,

You and madscientist may have helped me make up my mind in choosing between a BB combo and a BB head & ext. cab (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=419136). The fact that it is that cramped in the combo cab concerns me. The transformers are big and hang down pretty far and the tubes are very close to the speaker from what I can see. That ain't good for the tubes and electronics when the amp is loud. Also if it's that hard to change a speaker, than I don't want that kind of PITA I have with speaker changes in my PV Classic 30.

BTW, P, I think the only difference between the older combos and the 10th anniversary edition besides the oval baffle is the solid back panel with the oval opening. I'm pretty sure that the inner dimensions are exactly the same considering that the size & shape of the combo cab hasn't changed, nor has the chassis layout. BTW, all the newer BB combos have the same back.

Jim, what's your opinion on a combo vs. a head with an extension cab (especially considering how small the Blackbird is 19.5" X 18.5" X 10.25" ?

9. doublee

doublee Member

I like the Naylor for cleans in a DR very much, havnt tried too much pedal OD, but natural OD sounds pretty good...