Speaker change for Mesa Studio 22+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cloudnine, May 31, 2008.

1. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

I'm contemplating a speaker change for a Mesa Studio 22+ and I would like to hear your suggestions. It currently has the Black Shadow in it. I want something warmer, smoother, less fizzy/crunchy, maybe even what you would call darker. If I could get better cleans out of it that would be awesome too. Whatcha think?

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I tried several different speakers in that amp including a Celestion Blue, Celestion G12-65, Celestion Vintage 30 and an EVM. My conclusion was that none of those speakers made the amp sound significantly better so I went back to the stock which I think is well matched for the amp. The amp, like many amps suffers from toosmallacabitis.

3. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

My son installed a Mesa Celestion MC-90 Black Shadow in his Studio 22+ to excellent results.It sounds punchier and much smoother than with the tired stock Mesa Eminence 50 Black Shadow driver.

Ed

4. Stinger

Stinger Silver Supporting Member

I swapped mine out with a Celestion G12T-75 I had lying around. To my ears, a much more even and less-fizzy sound than the stock Black Shadow.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

You pretty much just described the Eminence Cannibus Rex.

6. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

I've been interested in the Cannibus Rex but have you used it with the Studio 22+? Does it have a big strong bottom end?

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I have not used it with that Mesa, I've used it mostly with Soldanos and Fenders. But yes, the Cannibus Rex has one of the strongest bottom ends of ANY speaker. I needed a warm, smooth speaker with zero fizz for my Soldano and the Rex delivers in spades.

8. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

Or the Swamp Thang. I used a Wizard in my DC-5, but I was looking for more high-mid emphasis.

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I've had great success with a Emi Private Jack. Sort of a greenback that can handle 50 watts

10. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

You might like the Emi Red White and Blues.

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

I didn't have the Studio .22+ at the same time that I had the RW & B but I think they would be a good possible speaker for it. Like I said earlier though, I think the original Emi was a good match. It sounds like cloudnine was saying that it was a bit blown out.