Speaker choice for LoneStar Special

Blackmoreguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I am rehousing my Mesa LSS (EL-84s) 2x12 combo into a head and 1x12 cab format. The combo has a Celestion Gold paired with a Celestion Century Vintage.

The plan was to put the gold in the 1x12 cab. However of course the gold is 15 ohm and I think the amp really needs an 8 ohm load.

I am therefore looking for advice on a suitable speaker to put in a 1x12 cab, (which I will probably order from Zilla Cabs here in the UK).

So far I am thinking I could go with an 8 ohm Celestion Gold, or, as the purpose of the rehouse is largely due to weight, maybe a Neo Creamback would be a plan. I also saw the Celestion Cream Alnico which at 90w would give the cab a bit of versatility to use with other larger amps possibly.

When I get to crank the LSS a bit it does have a nice chimey sound on the clean channel which is very nice; I'm not sure how much if any of that is due to the Alnico Gold, but is something I would like to retain.

Any other suggestions for a nice speaker to pair with the LSS?

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
The Gold does seem to be THE speaker for the LSS. The Eminence Red Fang is also good for it.

I agree about it being very popular but I hated the Gold when I tried it with my old LSS. It took a loose, squishy amp and made it looser and squishier. I much preferred a Vintage 30 to help keep the LSS tight.

Blaqhat

I have a jensen p15n cab and a 2x10 celestion gold cab I run the lss thru, the gold 12 is probably just right. Golds let the amp voice, and it doesn't need much help. The jensen 15 is looser and I use much more. For alnico speakers, golds are a pretty tight. I do not have a 12 cabinet, but I would consider the cream back if it works well. I wonder if it won't take a smooth amp and mellow it too much.

Vibroluxman

Are you running the LSS full tilt or on the lower power modes? Your 16 ohm gold is perfect mismatch for running it on two tubes in the 8 ohm socket.

lemonpaul59

I am rehousing my Mesa LSS (EL-84s) 2x12 combo into a head and 1x12 cab format. The combo has a Celestion Gold paired with a Celestion Century Vintage.

The plan was to put the gold in the 1x12 cab. However of course the gold is 15 ohm and I think the amp really needs an 8 ohm load.

I am therefore looking for advice on a suitable speaker to put in a 1x12 cab, (which I will probably order from Zilla Cabs here in the UK).

So far I am thinking I could go with an 8 ohm Celestion Gold, or, as the purpose of the rehouse is largely due to weight, maybe a Neo Creamback would be a plan. I also saw the Celestion Cream Alnico which at 90w would give the cab a bit of versatility to use with other larger amps possibly.

When I get to crank the LSS a bit it does have a nice chimey sound on the clean channel which is very nice; I'm not sure how much if any of that is due to the Alnico Gold, but is something I would like to retain.

Any other suggestions for a nice speaker to pair with the LSS?

I'll bet there is a "16 Ohm" output available, so that is not a problem.

The Century Vintage is a neo speaker, and a bit more bright sounding than most. I have one in a Marshall SL5. The speaker is very light weight. A brighter speaker could work well in a Boogie.

picnic

i have had LSS's since they came out, 5 so far. I've been happy with the stock speaker. I have tried Red Fang's and Wizard's with success. No experience with a Gold, but I do know they are always on the top of the replacement list anywhere you research. My current LSS is stock and has been here for 3+ years ( a record) and is all stock.

Vibroluxman

I'll bet there is a "16 Ohm" output available, so that is not a problem.

The Century Vintage is a neo speaker, and a bit more bright sounding than most. I have one in a Marshall SL5. The speaker is very light weight. A brighter speaker could work well in a Boogie.

There's not. 8 ohm and two 4 ohm only. Why Mesa doesn't include 16 I don't know. The manual states it's a safe mismatch however at full power, and an optimal mismatch at the two lower power settings.

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
I would actually try EVM12L. Let the amp sound like the amp and the speaker will reproduce it accordingly.

71strat

If I was going to put a Celestion I would put the Cream in it. IMHO the Cream is the best speaker they have made in decades. Sweeter highs than the Blue, and better lows than the Gold. They call it Cream for a reason. Its a very smooth speaker that will take anything you throw at it. It does clean to mean.

EV is also another good choice.

Tone Tubby Alnico Red.

I like Alnico myself.

Fane F60/F90

lemonpaul59

There's not. 8 ohm and two 4 ohm only. Why Mesa doesn't include 16 I don't know. The manual states it's a safe mismatch however at full power, and an optimal mismatch at the two lower power settings.

Just checked my downstairs Boogie, it has a single 8 ohm and 2x 4ohm jacks. No 16 ohm.

I think all my other amps have 16 ohm taps available.

You might want to consider the Celestion Neo Creamback. It's more like a conventional G12-65 than the Century Vintage Neo.

I've got a Century Vintage in a Marshall. I've got Neo Creambacks in a RedPlate and a Fuchs (D-Style). 4 pounds a speaker. Gotta love that.

Celestion Golds are pricey. Nice sound but not the greatest for high volume rock stuff.

Blackmoreguitar

Silver Supporting Member
Are you running the LSS full tilt or on the lower power modes? Your 16 ohm gold is perfect mismatch for running it on two tubes in the 8 ohm socket.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. I do generally prefer to run the amp at 30 watts, even when playing relatively quietly. I just prefer it that way, but food for thought nonetheless.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom