Speaker choice for new Fuchs ODS30 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tedjac, Jan 5, 2006.

1. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Hi,

I'm ordering a new amp and have been debating and debating which speakers to put in it. Looking for opinions and experience.

Leaning to one Swamp Thang and one Delta Pro 12A. (Both Eminence)

There are issues in that the Swamp Thang is recommended for a closed back cab (which the 212 Combo isn't) and there is about a 3.5dB difference in speaker sensitivity (98.5dB for the Delta Pro vs. 102dB for the Swamp Thang). So, I'm assuming that this means the Swamp Thang will be approx 3.5dB louder than the Delta Pro... on average. This may turn out to be fine, I just don't have any experience with matching speakers in a 212 combo cabinet.

Tonally and musically, I think this combo will give me what I think I want. I want smooth, non-gritty tone. I've heard clips of the Swamp Thang that sound pretty juicy thru a Fuchs amp. The Delta Pro 12A is supposed to be a clone of an EV12L... which I've always liked. I've seen a few posts that said that the Patriot Red, White and Blues was also very EVish... so maybe that would be a better match... I just don't know.

Anyway... I know a lot of you folks have a lot more experience with this than I... so any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ted

2. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I know this topic has been rung out... but... HELP!

3. aeolian

aeolian Member

How loud are you going to be playing this? At lower volumes a Fuchs though a Delta Pro might be grittier than you want.

A buddy called me today to rave about a Tonespotter in his small Fuchs 1-12. He said it was the creamiest of all the things he'd tried. Including a DeltaPro, Andy's version, a real EV, a Wizzard, C90 and host of others. I'm going to borrow this cab for an upcomming gig and try it out. Based on the Burt cab with a Tonespotter I played at ToneGuru's place, I expect it to be really sweet with no grit.

I'm really big on the dynamic responsiveness of the Tonkers, but they are too foward for quiet gigs and will definitely get gritty.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It's hard to beat a pair of Tonespotters for an ODS30 2x12. I'd suggest trying those as a starting point. In a 1x12 combo cab, I prefer a G12H30 to a single Tonespotter. The Wizard is also another good match for the ODS.

If you mix speakers in the 2x12, definately try to match efficiencies. The first pair you mentioned would not be a good match, for that reason IMHO.

5. tedjac

tedjac Guest

aeloian, fullerplast...

Thanks for the responses.

This amp will be used in 90% relatively low-volume settings. Studio and small jam situations. I went with the 30W model because it seemed to be a touch more refined than the 20W version. The 50W and larger would definitely be overkill in my settings.

I've been resisting Redcoats because I don't care much for the "British" sounding speakers. They always seemed a bit to "dirty" to me. I've always been an EV or JBL guy. Andy also suggested Tonespotters... so the tide of opinion seems to flow in that direction.

Having said that, do these speakers have the clarity and clean sparkle that the EV and JBL are known for. I really want speakers that don't overly color the tone of the amp (I know every speaker adds some coloration)... and aren't gritty. It just doesn't seem to make sense to spend $3K on an amp and let a $75 speaker alter it's tone in an undesirable way.

All of you Tonespotter users out there... What do they sound like at very low. low or medium volume levels? Will they stay sparkle clean until I WANT them to distort/OD?

Thanks agin for your help on this...
    Ted

6. fullerplast

Ted- All I can say is that I'd be really surprised if you didn't find the Tonespotters to be excellent for the application you've described.

ScottL has posted a number of clips recorded using this speaker (and others). You can check them out on the clips page. He doesn't typically do sparkle clean in his clips, but IMHO the Tonespotters do that very well with the Fuch's clean channel. Tomo has also been happy with the 'spotters with his Fuchs and he plays clean. You might find some of his clips as well.

7. tedjac

tedjac Guest

fullerplast...

I went and listened to a bunch of Tonespotter clips and I DO like the tone. Maybe a good combo would be one Tonespotter and one RWB. The RWB could strengthen the higher end while the Tonespotter did it's thing.

I also like Scott L's clip of the Swamp Thang that is on EMI site. I wonder if those would mix well together??

What d'ya think about that idea?

8. fullerplast

I think you're probably getting into uncharted waters....go for it if you want and the efficiencies are matched. I'm real happy with a pair of Tonespotters for the ODS30 myself. I don't really think they need any high end strengthening....;)

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Delta 12s are pretty bright if used in an open back cab

10. mact

mact Member

Wasn´t there talk about a re-issue of the real EV 12l? Has anybody already heard those? Might be also something to consider?

11. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

I've been using a 2x12 cab with evl's and my ods 50.. They barely color the sound and allow the full voice of the Fuchs to come through. Some feel that they are slightly sterile sounding for this reason.

I did quite a bit of a/bing speakers and cabs with Tomo one day and his Tonespotters were far and away the best sounding speakers (and he had a slew of emi spkrs to try). He had mixed a Tonespotter and Wizard but I believe settled on a pair of Tones. He plays mostly clean and loves shimmery forward highs. They sound warm, clear yet still glassy on top.

The Tonker did not fit well to my ears. Too much midrange and rather harsh. I'm now running 2, 12x10 bob burt v cabs with mixed Weber speakers. The 12's are G12H30 type (tonespotter) and 1265 type and the 10's are an ev and jbl type. Good tight low end with bright sparkly highs.

Other than the Tonker, I have yet to find a speaker that doesn't sound good (different, but still good) with the fuchs. I've tried emi GB, v30's, G1275's. I still think you will be happiest with the Tonespotters (hellatone 30's from avatar are a really nice equivalent) or ev type speaker.

12. jzucker

I would think EVs would be the best overall choice without weight being a consideration.

The tonespotters I've heard sound a bit harsh for clean to my ears. I'm hoping the red/white/blues sound a little more transparent.

Has anyone compared the red/white/blues to the legend speakers?

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

have EVs and other speakers. but I settled in with my Eminence
    speakers. Great sound & not too heavy! (That's important too)

My favorite is Tonespotter. Balanced really well from top to bottom.
    Enough bass and enough treble. Uncolor, so I can play with my own
    color/Tone. I just love this so much! I am very happy about this.

I did use the Tonespotter and the Wizard combo for a while (1/3 of my
    new recording). Then I put other Tonespotter back to my Bob Burt cab.
    So 2 Tonespotters. I did record with setting for most of my new CD.
    Some tracks, I did use the Governor, the RW & Blues, the Red Fang,
    the Red Ryder.

1 12 cab.... I am enjoying with the Red Ryder. The Legend 121 is great
    clean. I am using this in my Champ 12. I love my RW & Blues in
    Pro Reverb. (Right now RW & Blues and .........)

Clean samples

Tomo

14. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Thanks everyone for all of your input... and keep it coming... it really helps to hear lots of experiences with this speaker situation.

Ted

15. Neil

Neil Member

I wanted to bring this topic up again to see if there are any updates to the opinions here.

I have a TDS50 with a Fuchs 1x12 (closed back, no ports) with the Fat 1 speaker. It sounds good with a 335 but with a Les Paul with burstbuckers it sounds like its shouting at you. (instead of singing!)

(The Les Paul/ TDS set up sounded quite good through a open back 2x12 with V30 and G12h30 setup but it was too British(!)).

So I'm looking for a speaker that is smoother in the mids/upper mids than the Fat 1 to try in the Fuchs cab.

Any comments?
    Neil

16. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Hi Neil,
    Andy has started using Eminence Patriot Red, White and Blues as an option in the Fuchs combos. My ODS30SLX 2X12 combo is supposed to ship out today, so sometime next week I'll see how they sound.

Also... EV has started making the EVM-12L again. They call it the "Classic." And no, it's not the Black Label version... it's a true reissue of the EVM we all knew and loved. If you're interested in these speakers try Jim Lupino at EV (952) 884-4051. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Ted

17. jzucker

Emi Red white and blues

18. scottl

scottl Member

Neil,

Try the Red White and Blue.... Give Andy a call!

You'll like it! Nice and smoove....

19. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I own a TDS 50 and I had the cab cutome made at Mojo Musical Supply with their speakers - Mojotone BVH-30's - their version of the Celestion G12H30 - great speakers!

20. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I have a 1-12 combo. RWB is a good choice. Scott recommended, and Andy too! Everything I want from an EV with some give when you dig in. More dynamic than an EV, IMO.

What guitar(s) will you play? Everything seems to make a difference with this amp. (speakers, tubes, guitars, etc...)

By the way, use a voltage regulator, or a Power Factor, or, Power Factor first, then a voltage regulator. It makes a big difference. My ODS 30 impressed me most when I took it out to play, so if you don't have a gig lined up, hook up with some friends to jam. This amp really shines in a live setting.

ps to Scott L.: I'm still interested in updates, but want to get more acquainted with the amp first. Thanks again.