Speaker choice for Orange OR15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tameroy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Tameroy

Tameroy Member

Hello guys, i have the OR15 head and couple of open back combos at home, it's hard where i live to find a good cab , thinking to order a 12" speaker overseas , it could be either : v30 (that matches well but maybe i can get better?) - greenback- heritage- creamback
    Any experience or advice ?
    My general interest in a sound is like:
    amp matching , fat sound , beefy gain , doesn't flub with my dark les paul yet doesn't lose roundness when aiming for good highs ,doesn't need to be super pushed to show its quality so i can play at home
    Thanksss

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I have the Jim Root Terror which is the OR15’s brother and I LOVE it through an Orange 4x12 V30 cab.

I tried it through a Celestion G10 Vintage and Celestion Vox 10” speaker and whilst quite ‘ok’, the difference is huge.

I didn’t like it through a 1x12 V30 Orange cab though.

Tameroy likes this.
  3. 71strat

71strat Member

Id get a Hi Tone ( Eminence made. )

1 of these 2

Hi Tone ….DR-F 75w..

Hi Tone......Cresendo A 150w

Fane were used in many Early Original Orange amps.

The Cresendo A is a modern recreation of the speakers that came in the WEM cabinets Gilmour uses/used with Floyd.

The Dr-F won the Hiwatt ( FANE/Pulsonic ) replacement speaker shootout 5 years in a row. Early Fane used Pulsonics.

Fane was also the 1st speaker manufacturer to have a 100w/100db 12 inch guitar speaker, and Glass formers in voice coils.

Consider at that time ( Late 60s ) The JBL D120F was only good for 60w/100db.

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Vintage 30, G12H-30, Creamback M will all work just fine.

Tameroy and conrad79 like this.
  5. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I like mine through the orange 1x12 cab with the vintage 30. I also ran it through my DSL40c that had a creamback in it and I prefer the vintage 30. However, now I have a 2x12 with one vintage 30 and one creamback and it sounds awesome to me.

michael razor likes this.
  6. b80

b80 Member

I use an Orange 2x12 open back cab with V30's with my Dual Terror and it's perfect!

Tameroy likes this.
  7. Tameroy

Tameroy Member

Really ? do you think it's that cab or this is how the creambacks on this amps are less impressive ? from my research i'm getting closer to cream as a single speaker but the problem amazon doesn't ship it to Egypt :( ,

8. Tameroy

Tameroy Member

ThX for the info man ,, will see if any avaialbe to be shipped and try to listen to some clips

9. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I think for the OR15, the vintage 30 sounds better to me. If you can come by a vintage 30 easier in Egypt, I think you will be happy with that.

10. hacinador

hacinador Member

Orange amps are quite dark sounding and the Vintage 30 is a great to balance the sound. I tried nearly all Celestions for my Orange combo and went back to the Vintage 30.

michael razor likes this.
  11. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

My magic combo for the OR15 is a WGS Retro 30 (a sweeter, beefier take on the Vintage 30) and a Celestion G12H in a closed-back 2x12 Avatar cab.

12. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

There's nothing dark about the OR15. It's a very well-balanced amp, EQ-wise.

Seth L likes this.
  13. brettk7

brettk7 Silver Supporting Member

Any kind of Vintage-30 like speaker would be optimum for that and IMO, any modern Orange amp. They appear truly voiced for one another. Greenbacks are fun, but wouldn't be my all-time choice for it.

ps. Try it through a 4x12!

14. Custom50

Custom50 Member

The amp is voiced around a V30. Doesn't mean it won't sound great with other speakers but a V30 is a good place to start.

Seth L likes this.
  15. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I could see a dilemma here. Yes modern Orange is more atuned to the V30 vibe, but then in a 1x12 cab (which is inherently more mid focussed for starters) the modern V30 could be a bit much.

The Mesa labeled ones and the Eminence and WGS products could help things along a bit, I think.

Axe-Man likes this.
  16. michael razor

michael razor Member

I use the Orange 1x12 with V-30 with my OR-15 and it sounds fantastic.

17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

This is something to definitely consider.

As I mentioned, I love my OR15 brother into a V30 4x12 but in a 1x12 it was abrasive and hard sounding until really loud. That particular V30 was old and well worn...actually I tried two old V30s from totally different years in that cab.

It’s the usual cab and speakers makes more difference than the circuit thing once again.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  18. EnricoPalazzo

EnricoPalazzo Member

I have the OR15 with the Orange 1x12 cab with V30 and also custom made 2x12 can with Jensen Mod 12-50 speakers.

I like the Jensens better, specially for low volume practice and recording.

Sound-wise I'd say they are very similar to the V30, maybe a little more bassy and less mids, but that could be the cab, and can be easily matched with a bit of knob fiddling.

Now, the MOD-50 are very, very inefficient speakers. This allows me to turn the volume up a notch or two and get more power amp and less preamp gain distortion, which sounds amazing on this little amp.

The Jensen's are also cheaper and quality is excellent.

Since they are made in Italy maybe it will be easier to find them in Egypt?

19. Tameroy

Tameroy Member

Thanks for the info man , looks like it's getting harder to choose - i wanted to order from Amazon , seems after all the research , only 1 greenback - and 1 v30 could be shipped to egypt .By the way the current speaker i have from the old 1986 Marshall mosfet twin reverb combo (Marshall vintage by celestion ) (that's different than the v30)

20. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

The OR15 from what I read is similar to both my Jim Root Terror and Dark Terror which I have using them thru a Marshall 412 & Blackstar HT112 with Celestion Vintage 30s, a EVH 5150 III 112 cab with Celestion Heritage, and the Ibanez TSA112C with a Celestion Seventy 80 and they all sound great. Incidentally, my two new ones, the Orange Rocker 15 Terror and Brent Hinds Terror as well as the Micro Dark Terror also sound great thru these cabs. So you won't go wrong with V30s, Heritage, or Seventy 80 from Celestion. You will want to consider if you want open or closed back when choosing which cab, it does make a difference in the tone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018