Speaker choice question--best 'overall, great with everything' speaker for 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpage, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Title pretty much says it all--I like the uncolored tone of Eminence Delta Pros but a 4x12 with them would be pretty heavy. I have a 4x12 loaded with 1995 greenbacks and I just don't love it--seems a bit 'grainy' and thin to me. I love and screw around with all Marshall tones--plexi, 800, modded Friedman type stuff, will probably be adding an SLO to the stable soon...thoughts?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Without question the Fane Medusa 150S and 150C. Clear for and thick in a darkish fashion, and responds really quickly to your playing (='fast recovery') This is the tone that made doom metal for instance, shredders like the speed of them and down tuners like the 150S for it's massive and extended bottom end.

They can also do cleans very nicely and great for lower gain stuff too, like for instance jazz and blues. But I guess that may not be your turf.

3. ugameus

ugameus Member

my favorite all arounder is G12-65 style speaker.

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

no offense but i understand those to be a bit dark and best for taming brighter amps - really great for the right amp though (JCM800, say). but maybe not the best for everything overall as the OP is asking.

my vote goes to the G12H30 style.

5. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I use EVM12Ls with Eminence Deltalites (neo version of the Delta Pro and only 5 pounds) in an X pattern. I once had a Delta Pro in there instead of the BLS EVM, but I opted to put that DP in my 1x12.

[​IMG]