1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker choices for Plexi-ish amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TroyHamilton, Feb 3, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

Anyone have any suggestions on speakers for a Plexi-ish amped voice? It's an 18watt Burriss Custom, and am probably going to go with a 1x12 cab... just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on what speaker might be the tastiest fit...

I know it's strictly opinion... but please make your opinion known. :)

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I like Blues and the older Blackbacks for lower volume british amps.

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Email Jim at Southbay Ampworks.His Scumback speakers sound like the best old Celestions from the 60's.My life changed for the better when I got my Scumbacks.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

wait, so there's a person on the planet who wouldn't automatically scream greenback??

5. TroyHamilton

re-animator-

Are you saying that you think that's the obvious choice - or that it just tends to be the default choice that people make without exploring options?

I have to admit that for as many amps as I've owned, I've never experimented much with different speaker types - though I know they are just as impacting as the amp itself. Just looking to gain some knowledge from the years of tweaking experience here...

Thanks,
    TRoy

6. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

That would be the Celestion 20 watt Heritage G12M..........mmmmmm :D

7. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

One of the characteristics of a Marshall/Marshall type amp is a pronounced mid-range (contributes to the "Marshall growl"). A speaker w/ a larger magnet (celestion g12h30's and similar types) tends, to my ears anyway, to have more of a mid-range "honk". When I added these two together, again to my ears, the mids were doubled. I do not like this sound, to me it sounds very "dry". A medium magnet speaker (not so high in the mids) balanced things out for me very nicely. Greenbacks are medium magnet speakers, I have them in a 212 cab for my plexi-ish amp and I think they sound great. As I said, my opinion but magnet size is important when choosing any speaker. Hope this helps.....

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Huh, my experience is that the M's have more mids and the H's are more evenly balanced from bass to treble (offering more bass and treble due to the heavier H magnet size of 50 oz.). I'd love to know which Marshall amp you're experiencing this with.

Troy: If you're going with a 1x12 cab that's closed back, you could go with either an M or H magnet speaker, but if it's an open back cab, I'd strongly recommend my H75 speaker, as the bottom won't get mushy like an M will in an open back 1x12 cab.

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

+1 -- Get the H75, you won't be sorry.

10. Free

Free Member

Interesting, because in theory and the vast majority of practice, as well as, my own and Southbay amp's experience - medium magnet Celestions have much more midrange prominence and honk. I'm sure the vast majority of players will support this. Heavy G12H types have more bass and highs (sometimes overly bright), with less midrange forwardness. So, I don't know what to make of your assertions here - it doesn't add up.

Addionally, Greenbacks are not only medium magnet speakers - historically they came in heavy magnet form too. G12M20, G12M25 and G12H30 - are all classically called greenbacks. I think you might be referring to Celestions modern-day designation of the G12M25 being the "greenback", but that is not technically correct to only designate an M25 as a green.

11. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I'd have to agree with Free on this one.

My suggestion, and probably what I'm going to use myself from now on with Marshall-style amps, is a mix of medium- and heavy-magnet speakers, more specifically one Scumback H75 and one M75, so you get the mid presence and authority of the M75 and the rich highs and lows from the H75.

12. Free

Free Member

Right on - in a 1x12 combo context go with a G12H30 or a Scumback H75, because it will be the most likely winner for the majority (not all) of player's tastes. However, I will say that after experimentation fitting in a G12H30, I preferred a G12H25 in a 1x12 TopHat combo I have - it's a fat (11" deep) cabinet though. I get good bass response, though I do like bringing in H30 speakers with extension cabinets too a lot of the time. Yet, my 1x12 TopHat can hold it's own in most any live or rehearsal context with a G12M25. It's worth trying.

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You're welcome! I saw your speakers arrived and wondered if you got them installed. :AOK

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

its definitely the classic combo... in many peoples eyes (and ears) "marshall" and "greenback" are inseperable. Its like people using anything BUT an alnico blue in a vox, or a high-efficiency clean speaker like an EV or Altec in a mesa. Its just not part of the traditional sound that's the reason most people would buy the amp.

15. TroyHamilton

So pretty heavy praise for the H75. I'll definitely check it out...

Any recommendations on what cabinet to pair it with?